Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lose weight

• 20-01-2017 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm 13.3 stone and 5 11 -I'm pretty fit but would like to loose 1 stone. I usually cycle 15km to work every morning, so i'm thinking of not eating breakfast and cycle the 15km and then eat breakfast. I think this may burn some fat. Will this work and help me loose some weight ? Also maybe drink protein shake only for breakfast. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Simply moving breakfast from before your cycle to after won't make any difference whatsoever. If you want to shift a stone you need to either eat less or exercise more.

What's your typical food diary for a day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,676 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

As above but eating less or earing better is your answer of you're already exercising ,which you seem to be.

When you have breakfast doesn't matter. When you have anything largely doesn't matter.

But what you eat and how much you eat does.

A protein shake isn't a magic potion. It has calories. Usually about 130 calories if made with one ~30g scoop and water.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭harry999

Normal days food:

2 large bowls of Porridge

2 boiled eggs Pear 2 bananas + 2 apples

Chicken brest Salad Green peas Potatoes 1 tea + 1 coffee
    1.5 litre of water

Yogart
    Aldi cold fish
    Thanks
    also attached sheet shows a weeks food:
    dietMarch14.xls

dietMarch14.xls

Download the MyFitnessPal app and get a digital kitchen scales - costs about a tenner - and start getting a handle on the calorie content of what you're eating. Think of it as a learning tool. Nothing wrong with porridge but two large bowls of it might be unnecessary and adding a chunk of calories more than you need. Maybe not but find out with the MFP app and take it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭snor

Get rid of the daily breakfast biscuits and that will do the job for you. Loaded with sugar and saturated fat and very little nutritional benefit in a healthly, balanced diet. Best of luck 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,502 ✭✭✭✭guil

I use the ready brek sachets for my breakfast. 30g is about 112 calories iirc. That's a only a couple of spoonfuls. If I had two large bowls I could easily see it taking 6-8 sachets which could be 900 calories plus the milk.

Hi The only reason I eat 2 big bowls of Porridge is that I'm really hungry in the morning and I think porridge is very filling and calories not too bad. Any other suggestions of what I could eat for breakfast that is filling and low in calories ? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

harry999 wrote: »
    Hi The only reason I eat 2 big bowls of Porridge is that I'm really hungry in the morning and I think porridge is very filling and calories not too bad. Any other suggestions of what I could eat for breakfast that is filling and low in calories ? Thanks

I think what Alf was trying to say (correct me if I'm wrong!) is that while there's nothing wrong with eating porridge, if you don't know exactly how much you're eating and the calorie content, you're potentially over eating which will effect weight loss. If you weigh and track what you're eating, then you'll know how much calories you are getting.

You might decide that two bowls of porridge is worth it and eat less for the rest of the day, which is ok but it's about making an informed choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭mad about nuts

Try 1 bowl with berries and chopped banana and maybe a youghurt when you get into work???

allym wrote: »
    I think what Alf was trying to say (correct me if I'm wrong!) is that while there's nothing wrong with eating porridge, if you don't know exactly how much you're eating and the calorie content, you're potentially over eating which will effect weight loss. If you weigh and track what you're eating, then you'll know how much calories you are getting.

You might decide that two bowls of porridge is worth it and eat less for the rest of the day, which is ok but it's about making an informed choice.

Exaxtemundo.

Nothing wrong with porridge but the quantities might be the issue. They might not be but if you want to lose weight, you'll have to eat fewer calories and they have to come from somewhere.

Nothing inherently bad about anything you've listed, per se, in which case the quantities are important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭New Goat

How big is your bowl??

A "medium" bowl...Filled generously with porridge and half a litre of milk equated to 800 calories when I calculated it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

I eat 2 turkey sausages and 3 fried eggs every morning

Some mornings turkey rashers depends what I have In the fridge

Cooked in coconut oil

Handful of unsalted cashew nuts then

I lost over 3 Stone in 12 weeks

Have oats after a workout with 1.5 scoops of protien powder mixed in , beautiful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

I was always of the opinion that porridge was great for you and didn't contain a huge amount of calories.

In saying that I'd have a decent bowl of it without milk. Just make it with water and a small spoon of sugar.

Looking at your diet OP you should be losing weight. 13 stone 3 at 5'11 is nothing to be getting stressed about though.

I have a theory that you should always carry about 2-3 pounds extra weight above your recommended weight encase you get ill etc.

Yes the Porridge is made with water and no extra sugar.
    I know I'm not really over weight, but I hope to do a few bike races during the summer and the lighter I will be, the faster I can go up those hills... Thanks

Yes the Porridge is made with water and no extra sugar.
    I know I'm not really over weight, but I hope to do a few bike races during the summer and the lighter I will be, the faster I can go up those hills... Thanks

Hi If I cook some salmon or white fish in the morning and eat this with a small bowl of porridge - would this be a better diet ? Thanks

Hi If I cook some salmon or white fish in the morning and eat this with a small bowl of porridge - would this be a better diet ? Thanks

Depends what you mean by 'better'.

If you're just looking to lower the calories of your breakfast then it depends how much smaller the porridge is and how much fish you add, in calorie terms.

But I would suspect it won't lower calories

Advertisement