Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hiring an EV

• 21-01-2017 12:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to hire electric vehicles from the likes of Hertz, Avis, Enterprise, etc?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

I think only Go-car have them atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

Hertz and Enterprise both do EV rentals in the UK and US. But not in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Pretty sure one if the companies have at least one available from Dublin airport. Only know due to complaints about it using the chargers there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

s.welstead wrote: »
    Pretty sure one if the companies have at least one available from Dublin airport. Only know due to complaints about it using the chargers there.
    Hmmm...I'll be visiting home for a week in the next few months. Would be interested in whoever that is...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

I got rid of my car lately because I just don't use it enough at the moment, and renewing the insurance, tax, NCT etc was just getting prohibitively expensive. So, my plan is to hire a car for the few occasions that I do need one. It would be great if I could hire an EV for those occasions and it would be a great way to test them out too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,674 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Book a (free) 24h extended test drive of an EV whenever you need a car :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

unkel wrote: »
    Book a (free) 24h extended test drive of an EV whenever you need a car :D

I might actually do that, at least once anyway! I do think that my next car will be an EV (whenever that it) so I would like to test one out

Do you know which manufacturers or dealerships would facilitate a 24 hour test drive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

So I wrote to ESB eCars about getting a charge card, this is what they wrote back with. Seems pretty reasonable:
    [font=Calibri, sans-serif]Hi Dardania,[/font]
    [font=Calibri, sans-serif]
    Thanks for your email. 

In order to apply for public charging access cards, we will require two items of documentation;
    [/font]
      [*][font=Calibri, sans-serif]Proof of purchase of an EV/Rental receipt
      [*][font=Calibri, sans-serif]A utility bill with your name and address on it dated no longer than three months[/font]
      [/font]
      [font=Calibri, sans-serif] [/font]
      [font=Calibri, sans-serif]Provided your application has been successful, we will then send you a welcome pack containing an RFID access card. If you would not like to gain an access card, you can contact our support line on the number below and we can start a charge cycle for you 24/7.

If you have any further queries, please don’t hesitate to contact us. 

Kind Regards,
      The ESB ecars Team
      [/font]
      [font=Calibri, sans-serif]www.esb.ie/ecars | www.facebook.com/ESBecars |www.ESBecarsblog.ie | [url=tel:1890%20372%20387]1890 372 387[/url] | [url=tel:(01)%20258%203799]01 258 3799[/url][/font]
      [font=Calibri, sans-serif][url=tel:(01)%20258%203799][/url][/font]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,674 ✭✭✭✭unkel
      Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

zulutango wrote: »
      Do you know which manufacturers or dealerships would facilitate a 24 hour test drive?

I had a 24h test drive of a Hyundai Ioniq EV from a big Dublin dealership last week. I'd say most dealers would let you have one. Only thinking of it now, I drove it on my own insurance though, so that might not work for you :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Dardania wrote: »
      So I wrote to ESB eCars about getting a charge card, this is what they wrote back with. Seems pretty reasonable:

I believe any contactless smart card will authenticate with the public chargers.

• Advertisement

I believe any contactless smart card will authenticate with the public chargers.

If/when they bring in charging that won't work anymore though so it's good to get an actual card

So finally remembered. It's Sixt that have an i3 available at the airport. Other than that there's GoCar

Advertisement