Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A question about level 1 IT jobs.

Options
  • 21-01-2017 9:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hey All,

First of all, I am unemployed and in my 30s. I was thinking about changing careers and studying a few things to try and get into the IT sector.

I understand that after my studies, I should consider applying for technical support-level 1 jobs, which I don't mind doing. The problem is, I am hard of hearing and wear hearing aids. I am not great on the phone and I assume that most of the level 1 jobs are phone work. Would I be right in thinking this?

Are there any other types of IT work, or level one jobs that I could apply for that doesn't involve phone work? Or should I just forget about a career in IT?

Any feedback would be welcomed. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,898 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There are web chat and desk-side L1 jobs, neither are particularly rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Well I was the same as you. I managed to study and change career. I managed to get lucky and start with deskside support. Things is there will always some phone support that you will have to do. But it may not be much. As the other poster said. Just web chat. But you can only do that for so long. You will want to advance your career.

Also bare in mind. There are some great course you can do while unemployed. Online and full time. Keep checking our skillnets to. I made the most of the unemployed service upskill.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Sapphire3

Great stuff, thanks so much for your answers...much appreciated. I will definitely check out Skillnets.

Advertisement