Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upstairs Xbox and Downstairs Modem

Options
  • 21-01-2017 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hey I've recently moved into a new house where my new average speed is 300mbs while connected through an ethernet wire into my modem as I was living downstairs till my room was ready. Though I'm only getting 70mbs through wireless I'd still love to keep the incredibly high speed. In my last house I was only getting less than 1mbs which made me stop playing xbl as it became impossible to play a game. I still would love to keep the same speed so I'm wondering what would be the best option to keep the same speed. A router, range extender or USB nic card?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,085 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Hey I've recently moved into a new house where my new average speed is 300mbs while connected through an ethernet wire into my modem as I was living downstairs till my room was ready. Though I'm only getting 70mbs through wireless I'd still love to keep the incredibly high speed. In my last house I was only getting less than 1mbs which made me stop playing xbl as it became impossible to play a game. I still would love to keep the same speed so I'm wondering what would be the best option to keep the same speed. A router, range extender or USB nic card?

Get yourself some Homeplugs.

That 70mbps is most likely a bottleneck caused by your network card or wireless router standard. Assuming you are getting close to full signal strength from the router on the Xbox. That would be the speed I would expect to see from an N rated network card/router

70 is more than enough for playing games as long as the pings are ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Get yourself some Homeplugs.

If he's getting 70mb through wireless there's a chance he won't do any better on homeplugs, though it may be more stable.

In my house no matter what brand homeplugs I use I can never get more than about 50mb from a 360mb connection.

I just got a 50m cable and wired it along the skirting and door frames into a switch for PCs and consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 thanlon2704

If he's getting 70mb through wireless there's a chance he won't do any better on homeplugs, though it may be more stable.

In my house no matter what brand homeplugs I use I can never get more than about 50mb from a 360mb connection.

I just got a 50m cable and wired it along the skirting and door frames into a switch for PCs and consoles.

Yeah I was hoping there was another option other than drilling a hole into my floor and getting fitters but if that's what I'll have to do to keep my unbelievable speed than that's what I'll do, thanks to all of you for the help. Also where did you buy the 50m ethernet wire?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I was thinking of doing this for the pc aswell but since my Internet is only 60mbs anyway I might be as well of with homeplugs.

I will say though, only getting 70mbs over the WiFi on a 350mbs connection sounds like something is wrong with the router to me.

• Advertisement

Yeah I was hoping there was another option other than drilling a hole into my floor and getting fitters but if that's what I'll have to do to keep my unbelievable speed than that's what I'll do, thanks to all of you for the help. Also where did you buy the 50m ethernet wire?

There is, MoCA 2.0 have a google for it. You can basically use the coax cableing throughout the house. Been meaning to look into it myself as every room here has a TV point.

EDIT: Yeah downside is having to buy new network equipment etc.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I was thinking of doing this for the pc aswell but since my Internet is only 60mbs anyway I might be as well of with homeplugs.

I will say though, only getting 70mbs over the WiFi on a 350mbs connection sounds like something is wrong with the router to me.

Nah, the wireless protocol tops out around there, just literally can't go any faster.

Taken from here
    802.11b - 2-3 Mbps downstream, up to 5-6 Mbps with some vendor-specific extensions.
    802.11g - ~20 Mbps downstream
    802.11n - 40-50 Mbps typical, varying greatly depending on configuration, whether it is mixed or N-only network, the number of bonded channels, etc. Specifying a channel, and using 40MHz channels can help achieve 70-80Mbps with some newer routers. Up to 100 Mbps achievable with more expensive commercial equipment with 8x8 arrays, gigabit ports, etc.
    802.11ac - 70-100+ Mbps typical, higher speeds (200+ Mbps) possible over short distances without many obstacles, with newer generation 802.11ac routers, and client adapters capable of multiple streams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

Surely you don't need anymore than 70mb? I'd imagine even at that most of it goes unused?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

This has to be one of the greatest exercises in futility I have ever heard! OP, the only time when raw download speed/bandwidth matters on an Xbox One (once you go over a base of maybe 5mb, probably less) is in downloading games and apps. As others have said, the important metric here is ping to the servers, as virtually every game on the console will not generate enough traffic to avail of the extra "speed".

I use quotation marks in this, because (and while acknowledging the closeness of this to the flawed tubes analogy of yore!), if you consider your connection as being like the M50, ping is the time taken to complete the journey, which is a function of road quality (i.e. max speed you can drive/shortest time the journey can possibly be made in under optimal conditions), and traffic vs capacity (effectively the width/number of lanes on the road). This capacity corresponds to the bandwidth/transfer rate you're quoting. If you saturate the connection with excess traffic, then queuing of packets kicks in, and ping goes up, but as I said, above 5mb or so, and this isn't a concern. You basically want to drive on an otherwise empty 50 lane motorway rather than an empty 10 lane motorway, just so that you can feel/say that you are doing this (the only time this motorway sees real traffic is when the trucks are delivering your latest digital game purchase); as I said, an exercise in futility!

I moved upstairs yesterday finally and my download fluctuates between 2mb to 10mb. That's a massive difference from 50mb wireless downstairs and up to 300mb connected. I'm currently considering Homeports or a new modem. The Homeports look more intriguing as they cost a lot less and easier to set up. Have anyof you ever tried them and are they hard to set up as I have no experience with them?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I moved upstairs yesterday finally and my download fluctuates between 2mb to 10mb. That's a massive difference from 50mb wireless downstairs and up to 300mb connected. I'm currently considering Homeports or a new modem. The Homeports look more intriguing as they cost a lot less and easier to set up. Have anyof you ever tried them and are they hard to set up as I have no experience with them?

I've always found them to be great. They work better on good wiring, so that's a consideration, but in general, I always recommend them.

CatInABox wrote: »
    I've always found them to be great. They work better on good wiring, so that's a consideration, but in general, I always recommend them.

Thanks you've been a great help, I'm looking to buy them now. Do you have any suggestions?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I actually just bit the bullet and picked up these ones: http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5807112/Trail/searchtext%3ETP+LINK.htm

I'm getting pretty much full speed through them (60mbps in my case) so am delighted.

For a bit more there's also these which have two ports on them: http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5488311/Trail/searchtext%3ETP+LINK.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

I have the same one Mick, very handy.
    PC World had a sale on a BT Broadband Extender Triple Pack, something like this http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/bt-broadband-extender-600-powerline-adapter-kit-twin-pack/330084/402.0.9

Got them for my folks place as their WiFi doesnt reach through the whole house. I've one plugged in at the main Sitting Room and the other in the landing so it extends through most of the house

Yesterday I got two 500mb Develo home plugs for €30 and they're pretty good, my speed is ranging from 30mb to 70mb which is way better than 2mb to 10mb. Thanks everybody for the advice.

Advertisement