Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

123.ie have me over a barrel...please help

Options
  • 21-01-2017 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,133 ✭✭✭✭

Right,

Myself and my wife currently have a policy with 123.ie on a small picanto.

I'm picking up a VW CC GT in the UK next week and understandably the premium is higher as upgrading from TPFT to comprehensive with a much bigger car.

So I got a quote online for the new one for €850, fine, my current is €550. So I rang them about the details of changing over.

They want 800 on top of the current premium which runs to November.

They told me it was cheaper to cancel and open a new policy, again fine.
    So I asked do you accept new business on a UK Reg? and they said no.

So I said how much to upgrade my insurance and give me 28 day cover on the new car. 123.ie don't do temporary cover and if they did it cant be for a car registered to me or am in the process of owning.

So the only option I have is paying them the additional premium as they will only permanently change a policy to UK reg car provided I complete the VRT process in 30 days.

I just cant justify that amount of money extra.

So could anyone suggest what I can do, can I even get temporary insurance anywhere?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,791 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Did you ask how much it would be to transfer over your existing policy to the CC at the existing cover level of TPFT on the UK plates, probably only small money €50-€70, then drive the car back here and VRT it. Once the car is VRT'd cancel your current policy and take out the fully comp on the CC with Irish plates.

I know it's risky TPFT on the CC but it should only be for 2-3 weeks or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,135 ✭✭✭bigroad

If your buying from a dealer over there they might give you insurance to cover you for a few days.
    I have seen this advertised on some uk dealer websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,133 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Did you ask how much it would be to transfer over your existing policy to the CC at the existing cover level of TPFT on the UK plates, probably only small money €50-€70, then drive the car back here and VRT it. Once the car is VRT'd cancel your current policy and take out the fully comp on the CC with Irish plates.

I know it's risky TPFT on the CC but it should only be for 2-3 weeks or so.

They won't temporarily transfer any cover to any vehicle your currently own or are in the process of owning. Surely this isn't the same with other insurers?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭irishgeo

rob316 wrote: »
    They won't temporarily transfer any cover to any vehicle your currently own or are in the process of owning. Surely this isn't the same with other insurers?

my insurance allows you to transfer but your old car isnt covered for a fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

As someone said above the UK dealer may give you a few days insurance on the car, I had this included when I bought a car over there. I was living there at the time so you may need to a supply a UK address, not sure if you are able to do that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement