Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Backing out of intention to hire someone

Options
  • 21-01-2017 1:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hi,
    I have been interviewed for a job at a Company (C). They have expressed their intention to hire me but not for another 1-2 months due to lack of time for induction at the moment. The terms of employment are very beneficial for me with a huge increase in salary and a permanent position.
    I am currently under payed in a contract position that will expire in less than one month.
    I have an interview for Another company (A) in a few days, with better employment condition than I currently have with a significant salary increase, but less than company C, and only a two year contract role.
    If company C offer me a contract of employment with a commencement date 2 months into the future, and then in 1.5 months time back out of that contract, what is the legal status then if I have said no to company A as I had a contract with company C?
    Can I claim some sort of compensation as they have been "stringing me along"?
    Thank you, Evase

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Have no legal expertise to offer but I wouldn't think so. IMO you're overthinking it. If you were able to land two really well paid jobs in a short space of time surely you'd land another one if things don't work out. Sometimes you just have to take a little bit of a chance. There isn't insurance or comeback for everything in life.

You could also explain the situation to them, say, look I have another offer, I want to go with you, but need a bit of assurance, can we sign the contract now for a start date in 2 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

As above. I would look for assurance, but not until after the interview with company (A). I wouldn't be letting company (C) know I am still attending interviews, as they are likely to protect their own interests and may hire someone else.

I would tell company (C) that another company has offered me a position with a start date in (insert date) if accepted. I would tell them my preference is with company (C), but that I need contract assurances before turning down an excellent opportunity at company (A).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 evase

Thank you CalamariFritti and goz83 for your advice.
    I am also considering saying that I am available a bit further into the future for company A as well to by myself some time with company C.
    I would however like to know if anyone know how the legal situation would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Legal advice is not allowed.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement