Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas or electric? Which do you prefer to cook with?

Options
  • 21-01-2017 1:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭

I'm in the process of ordering new white goods etc for a kitchen, but I still haven't decided on whether or not I am going with gas or electricity for the hob/oven.

We have solar panels etc fitted to the roof, so obviously electric might be more economical, financially.

I like cooking stir frys etc in a wok with gas, as I like to get my pan very hot.

I'm thinking electric oven, but gas hob.

What's the general consensus with boards user's? Which do you prefer to cook with and why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'm in the process of ordering new white goods etc for a kitchen, but I still haven't decided on whether or not I am going with gas or electricity for the hob/oven.

We have solar panels etc fitted to the roof, so obviously electric might be more economical, financially.

I like cooking stir frys etc in a wok with gas, as I like to get my pan very hot.

What's the general consensus with boards user's? Which do you prefer to cook with and why?

Gas hob.
    Electric oven.
    No competition

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Gas hob.
    Electric oven.
    No competition

What he said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

longshanks wrote: »
    What he said.
    What he said about what the other guy said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Gas hob.
    Electric oven.
    No competition
    longshanks wrote: »
    What he said.

What I said so?
    :D

Right that's that one decided upon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Induction hob is far superior than gas IMO. Where I used to live, the gas line was dodgy. You would put a stew on and come back later to find the gas had cut out. The neighbours said it happened to them too.

Induction is great amazing though. I only realised that when I was in my friends rented house and I had to use one of those cheap 4 ring hobs that landlord use. I couldn't get over how slow it was.

A premium induction hob like Neff is incredibly fast. A modern premium induction hob is not comparable to any other electric hob

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

What they said.

Gas is better for temperature control with direct heat and electric ovens are better for controlling temperature I'm convection situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

newacc2015 wrote: »
    Induction hob is far superior than gas IMO. Where I used to live, the gas line was dodgy. You would put a stew on and come back later to find the gas had cut out. The neighbours said it happened to them too.

Induction is great amazing though. I only realised that when I was in my friends rented house and I had to use one of those cheap 4 ring hobs that landlord use. I couldn't get over how slow it was.

A premium induction hob like Neff is incredibly fast. A modern premium induction hob is not comparable to any other electric hob

I'd agree. We got a Siemens one which is the exact same as the Neff model with a different badge. The user manuals were the exact same even.

They are much easier to clean which seems like a small thing but when you're doing it every day it makes a big difference.

Also the timer functions are so handy. Pop on some pasta and once it boils set it to 10 minutes and walk away and it switches off when done. And unlike the old style electric coolers one you press the button the heat cuts out instantly.

Gas probably is better from a cooking point of view but induction closed he gap massively compared to old style electric jobs. The other things I mentioned tipped the balance for me.

tobsey wrote: »
    I'd agree. We got a Siemens one which is the exact same as the Neff model with a different badge. The user manuals were the exact same even.

They are much easier to clean which seems like a small thing but when you're doing it every day it makes a big difference.

Bosch can also be the same as Neff and Siemens on some items. But not so much in recent years. I seen a Bosch washer/dryer that was made in China a few weeks ago

Good hobs have Schott glass which is super easy to clean. Where as a cheap ceramic/ induction will have an inferior glass which is quite hard to clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭coleslaw

gas hob electric oven all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Rented for years and have used all types of hobs. Gas for the hob would have always been my preference. When we bought our own house and replaced the kitchen I wanted gas but wife persuaded me to try induction. Using it several years and I've never regretted it. You can have a pan hot enough to fry on in seconds and boil a pot of water in a minute. The level of control is exceptional bring to the boil and instantly reduce to a simmer. If some thing does boil over it switches off and as the hob it's self doesn't heat up spills and splashes don't burn on.

Only ever had a gas oven in one place, grill was very good but didn't notice much difference with the oven over an electric probably a bit quicker heat up. One suggestion spend the extra to get a pyroclean oven it's very convenient.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

+1 on induction hob. I found it as good, if not better than gas but the main issue is it's so much easier to clean. It's a single piece of glass with no rings, knobs or buttons, quick wipe down, job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Gas all the way. Including the oven.

I am deep remote rural on a very low income and buy bottled gas .so no bill.

In the new house I have a gas hob and electric oven;very rarely use the oven as costly.

Variation is that I can cook and heat water atop the turf fire..

• Registered Users Posts: 20 phd

While I take the point re cleaning, I just love the way food tastes cooked on a gas hob. Far superior to any other hob in my opinon. Definitely an electric oven though - trying to bake anything in my mother's gas oven is a total pain!

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Could never go back from gas. Went too cheap on a freestanding dual fuel though and its got a single cavity, non-fan oven. Extremely awkward to work with

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I have used induction once (I don't remember the make, I was cooking for a party in someone else's home) and while I will agree that the speed at which it heats up is staggering, I was making a curry that needed to simmer for awhile and I wasn't happy with it for that. It might have been the make, but it only seemed capable of either full-force heat or no heat at all.

I've got a 5-ring gas hob in my kitchen, and an electric oven (one with the sliding door, couldn't resist after watching the GBBO), and I feel it's the best possible combination.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If I was fitting out my kitchen in the morning, I'd go for a gas hob with wok adapter and a dual electric oven.

If I had kids, I could see the safety argument for an induction hob.

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

dudara wrote: »
    If I was fitting out my kitchen in the morning, I'd go for a gas hob with wok adapter and a dual electric oven.
    This is pretty much what I've decided upon. I'm going for a five ring gas hob, complete with wok station.

Oven/grill will be electric, fan assisted.
    If I had kids, I could see the safety argument for an induction hob.

Good luck

Have two of them, and both are mad into cooking. Its crazy, my eldest could pick each ingredient needed for a curry from the press, just this morning she decided pancakes were on the breakfast menu.

I walked into kitchen, and she had: flour, salt,sugar, eggs, baking powder, milk and butter sat next to the hob.

She's six.

I couldn't have told you what was in a curry or how to make pancakes when I was twenty six. :p

I think it's fantastic though.

Shenshen wrote: »
    I have used induction once (I don't remember the make, I was cooking for a party in someone else's home) and while I will agree that the speed at which it heats up is staggering, I was making a curry that needed to simmer for awhile and I wasn't happy with it for that. It might have been the make, but it only seemed capable of either full-force heat or no heat at all.

It was a dodgy hob. Induction hobs generally have between 10-15 heat settings from very very low to boost which can boil water extremely fast. I have used 3/4 induction hobs that were able to simmer properly. It takes a few days to get used to the settings on induction

What is a "wok station" please?

The gas hob here ( kitchen new to me) has 4 burners. one with a kind of double ring of flames... intriquing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Another vote for induction from me here. I was a bit cynical until I tried one in a (rather posh!) hostel I was staying in recently and I was won over. All the advantages of gas in the sense that you have instant control, with no residual heat in the rings, plus the advantage of independent timers on all rings and a whole lot easier to clean. If stuff boils over, the hob itself isn't hot so nothing burns. They look the same as conventional ceramic hobs, but there all similarity ends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Graces7 wrote: »
    What is a "wok station" please? .

A specific hob/burner setup for better heating - and proper stability - of a wok.

Adapters exist from simple rings that hold the wok more stable to things like this: http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/the-wok-mon-converts-your-home-burner-into-a-wok-range-solution.html which are a bit mental

I've found ceramic and induction hobs are even worse than old fashioned electric rings for woks due to being, well, flat shiny glass on top. If you want to do serious wok cooking it has to be gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

newacc2015 wrote: »
    Induction hob is far superior than gas IMO.
    all depends, sort of like saying a petrol van is FAR superior to a diesel. I bet I would rather cook chinese food in a wok in a decent set up than some bottom of the barrel low power induction setup, and vice versa. I think in general gas burners can be higher power than induction hobs, and if used with a thin wall wok can transfer that heat quickly.

I wonder if any commercial chinese restaurants use induction, and if so what power, if they do I reckon it is more than household power.

You will see some Chinese chefs say its OK to use warm/hot rice for making fried rice, since the average household hob will not have enough power. Others will insist it should be cold but might be thinking of what they do.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

How is induction for cast iron griddles and the like? Things that would straddle two hobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

I have an induction with gas side hob. Can never cook a ****ing egg right on the induction so gas wins it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Tree wrote: »
    How is induction for cast iron griddles and the like? Things that would straddle two hobs.

induction is fine for cast iron, but as with any hob it will suffer where it straddles two rings. I suspect gas rings are closer together than induction, so that might cause an issue. My Miele induction has 5 rings, with the central one being 12" so copes with my griddle. For me personally, the controllability and speed of induction wins the day, but its very personal.

Also note that if your pans aren't induction friendly, you will have to buy a new set...that can add quite a bit to the cost

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I have all electric and would prefer a gas hob, but we don't have gas heating in the house so I make do with the electric one and I'm okay with that.

On the subject of induction hobs: I saw a portable single one in Ikea and thought it was a great idea for when you haven't enough room on the hob, or maybe it would be good for a wok:

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/appliances/hobs/tillreda-portable-induction-hob-white-art-40331630/

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You can also buy dedicated single wok induction hobs that have an indentation in them for a conventional round bottomed wok.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,570 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have a gas hob off a dual set of the giant size cylinders as I cannot manage changing the small cylinders now. They are fantastic, I got 18 months out of the first cylinder. For various convoluted reasons I ended up with an electric oven which is new to me, but ok. I would hate to be entirely dependent on electric as in a power cut at least with a hob you can put together a meal.

looksee wrote: »
    I have a gas hob off a dual set of the giant size cylinders as I cannot manage changing the small cylinders now. They are fantastic, I got 18 months out of the first cylinder. For various convoluted reasons I ended up with an electric oven which is new to me, but ok. I would hate to be entirely dependent on electric as in a power cut at least with a hob you can put together a meal.

Great and what I have been using for years. I can just still manage the small cylinders.

Like you I prefer to be multi-fuelled in case of power cuts. I also can heat water and bake potatoes etc on a rack over the turf/coal fire.

WIsh the oven were gas also but no choice as in a rental.

• Advertisement
Advertisement