Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Entertainment in labour ward

Options
  • 21-01-2017 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭

So I have all my bags packed including a labour bag with snacks and a book but I am thinking that I may not be able to concentrate on book and likewise for my husband.

What I am wondering is what other people have packed in the past and have packed now to keep yourselves in the labour ward. I know contractions might be all you concentrate on but what if I got an epidural or something and we are just sitting looking at each other for hours. There is no WiFi ( so no films etc) so how did you or do you intend on passing the time?

All suggestions welcome!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

You could download films onto your tablet or ipad or get a load of podcasts/ audiobooks.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Probably a podcast or films or an audiobook. I was so exhausted that as soon as I got the epidural in I fell asleep :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

I have packed a puzzle book and my kindle but that's all really. I figure I'll send hubby out for magazines if needed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

As i was in labour for nearly 24 hours before i got an epidural all i wanted to do was sleep before the fun really started!!!
    But if you think you might have time and energy definitely you could download movies to tablet. you can do that with netflix now

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭the_sonandmoon

I was induced so there was some waiting around. I brought a crossword book and we did some together. We also went for a walk and for some lunch in a nearby cafe while waiting for it to take. And went for a bath for comfort. Also had a spotify playlist and mini speakers which we used once we were in the labour ward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭sullivk

I had packed books and sweets to keep my energy up during the long labour process... but then I was induced and following a rapid labour, baby was born 2 hours later. Next time I will just bring a book or magazine and catch up on a bit of sleep if I manage to get an epidural

• Registered Users Posts: 23,521 ✭✭✭✭ted1

After our first experience, My wife preferred to labour at home for our second and third , so we didn't go in to early. Might that be an option for you ?

She had our second an hour after arriving and out third 15 minutes after arriving

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

We just brought the laptop, it already had a load of films on it and mrsTeal finally began to understand the beauty of sky go. I remember we watched The Snapper (sure why not?!) while waiting for the inducing drugs to kick. A nurse walked in during the car bonnet scene. The baby nearly came out there and then due to mrsTeal's sheer embarrassment!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Brought the laptop and ended up watching Father Ted for some reason...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Epidural was sleep and a big chunky magazine that I never usually buy, but they had them in the hospital shop. :) Vogue I think.

• Advertisement
Advertisement