Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Political bias ban

Options
  • 21-01-2017 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭

I was banned for 4 days because the Mod ancapailldorcha said -"Implying that another poster is a troll and being generally uncivil". This is untrue! I was debating about the disease called Donald Trump and I indicated that since he is so bad, despite any issues you might have with Hillary Clinton, it paled in comparison to the evil and trouble Trump could cause. Two other posters (possibly the same person) continually aggressively debated my comments and when I indicated that a vote against Clinton was a vote for Trump, both of them claimed they voted for Johnson. I then responded "Isn't this the typical troll method, where you argue against someone like Clinton, knowing you can never defend someone like trump, so you put down Clinton and claim you didn't vote for trump either."

Very few people voted for Gary Johnson, so it is unlikely that 2 posters on a small thread on an Irish message board both voted for Johnson. Check their IPs, I am in Ireland, I bet they aren't even in North Carolina. If I'm correct, then who's the real troll, although I never specifically called any other user a troll. This is insane, please re-read my comments and lift this ban. This ban is very inappropriate and wrong on many levels, please don't tell me the Trump Russian Mafia has also infiltrated Boards!

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Hi Seamus, as per step one in the flowchart above, have you discussed this with Ancapailldorcha by PM?

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭SeamusFX

Yes, I did speak with Ancapailldorcha and he/she seems to have a bias and is refusing to reverse his/her decision, despite facts.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Just in case we did have someone using multiple accounts to troll/sockpuppet, I had a quick look at the thread in question. I can certainly clarify one of the "facts" - the two people you believe are a single troll are both most definitely in the US and are also most definitely two separate individuals who are well known to the admins. This has nothing to do with the outcome of your appeal btw, I just thought you should be aware of it before proceeding.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

SeamusFX wrote: »
    Yes, I did speak with Ancapailldorcha and he/she seems to have a bias and is refusing to reverse his/her decision, despite facts.

Very well, please send me on any PMs you exchanged and I will investigate.

Hi Zaph,

Thanks for the clarification, but that still doesn't make them right and it actually adds more credence to my claim, since what are the possibility that they both voted for Johnson, pretty slim. If one or both didn't vote for Johnson, why else would they say they did, unless they knew they could't defend a monster like Donald, even if they may secretly support him. In the end, I don't find my comments any more offensive than theirs. So why was i the one banned? Something is wrong with the world when the lunatics seem to be running the asylum.

• Advertisement

Toots wrote: »
    Very well, please send me on any PMs you exchanged and I will investigate.

There wasn't much of an exchange, I sated my case like I did here and ancapailldorcha refused to reverse his/her decision which appears bias to me.

There wasn't much of an exchange, I sated my case like I did here and ancapailldorcha refused to reverse his/her decision which appears bias to me.

That's fine, please forward it on to me anyway, or you can post it here. Thanks!

From ancapailldorcha:
    Dear SeamusFX,

You have been banned from Politics for four days for being uncivil.

Typically, this means that you are posting in a needlessly aggressive or confrontational manner being disruptive on the forum or causing stress for the other members. We don't want that here.

For more information please refer to the Boards.ie FAQ.

If you wish to appeal this ban you can see details on how to do so here.

ancapailldorcha

Moderator Note

p=102352474. Implying that another poster is a troll and being generally uncivil. You've been warned about this and sanctioned before. Bans will be handed out in increasing length for future offences.

This is Crazy!!!! I was not aggressive, confrontational, disruptive or causing stress, they were confrontational to me and causing stress to me! I never said the other person was a troll, please re-read what I wrote! I just said this is "the typical troll method", but I gave them other options as well, but I was being nice, even though I never did call them a troll, it certainly looks like they are! I was very careful what I said and I said nothing wrong, it was all true. I certainly believe it is the other poster who is being deceptive. Do you really believe this other person is from North Carolina and voted for Johnson? Let's face it, not that many people voted for Johnson and now we have 2 on an small thread on an Irish message board claiming they both voted for Johnson. Check their IPs, I am in Ireland, I bet they aren't even in North Carolina. This is insane, please re-read my comments and lift this ban.

I am keeping the ban in place. You implied that he was a troll by stating that he was following the "Typical troll method". You ended the post saying that he didn't understand how life works or that he was having daily Aleppo moments.

You were just banned from this forum this month. I'm going to ask that you cease these sorts of digs at posters when you return.

Regards,
    ancapailldorcha

Once again you are misinterpreting what I said. I didn't call or even imply he was a troll, I just referenced how trolls operate, but i also indicated other reasons. I didn't say the other poster didn't understand how life works and the Aleppo moment was clearly a criticism of his candidate, not the other poster! Does Trump control Boards.ie too?

Any response??

Seriously? You do realise that it's 10.30 on Saturday night and that all our mods are volunteers, right? If Toots hasn't responded by lunchtime on Monday then maybe you can bump the thread again. But if you want your appeal investigated properly, and taking into account that it's the weekend, it's not realistic to be expecting something at this hour.

• Advertisement

Hi Zaph,

Thanks for the Saturday night response, but I am serious. So am I going to have wait out almost the full 4 day ban before I get an answer? I understand the mods are volunteers, but maybe they shouldn't ban someone who wasn't being abusive, just honestly debating something with a different opinion.

Your opinion of what warrants a ban and the mod's opinion is why this appeal is here. The mod who banned you felt that what you posted warranted a ban, and therefore did what he believed was correct. However nobody said you need sit out the whole ban before you get an answer, it doesn't expire until Wednesday, and I'm sure Toots will post again here as soon as she can. I was merely stating that there needs to be a certain level of patience when it comes to this forum, particularly at weekends.

Seamus, can I ask did you read and take on board anything that I said in my response to your recent dispute about your 2 day ban from the Politics Forum?

Hello Toots,

Yes! Please read what I wrote and can you tell me honestly I said anything wrong and deserve to be banned??

Please answer honestly, as I was very careful what I said and I didn't insult anyone, I just quoted facts and I was a lot nicer than the other posters who weren't banned. I can understand wanting people to be civil, but this is just crazy!

I've read that entire thread. And what jumped out at me was more of the same as what got you banned the previous time. You were just back from a 2 day ban, and instead of reining yourself in we got:
    Yes, despite an Irish name, I'm both Irish and American, I'm entitled to vote, I do vote and as I have more than half a brain, I definitely did not vote for a liar like Trump! Now Permabear, since you are so interested in me, I must ask you, are you an American citizen, did you vote and were you fooled by the conman named Trump and did you vote for him?

I have many friends and relatives in America, fortunately most didn't vote for Trump, but I have a few misguided friends and relatives who did vote for Trump and it's very sad to say, but very true, the Trump supporters are the least intelligent and the least educated. This is a fact, from my circle of friends and relatives and it is also in line with many other statistics.

The sad thing, most of the people I know who voted for Trump are the ones who will be the most negatively affected by a Trump presidency, with the only exception is a few friends that seem very intelligent, but unfortunately they are devout Catholics and despite many of their different opinions with Trump, they voted for Trump because they are strongly anti-abortion and another exception is a friend who is heavily involved in Republican politics and he even admitted if the Republican candidate was Mickey Mouse, he still would have voted Republican.

I'm not attacking anyone in particular, but the facts are there, the less intelligent people voted for Trump, with a few exceptions. The ironic thing is a few years ago Trump was pro-abortion and there are unsubstantiated rumors that he paid for at least one abortions for an old girlfriend, but when he decided to run on the Republican ticket, he had to switch to the anti-abortion side. He also used to be for gun control too, he didn't have any moral epiphany, he just switched for the votes.

There you have it, anti-abortion people, NRA people, hard core Republicans who will vote republican even if it may hurt the country and stupid people, that's who voted for Trump, which one are you?
    Well at least you didn't vote for Trump, but unfortunately in America a 3rd candidate has never won and may probably never win and as bad as you might have thought Hillary was, Trump is a virus and a vote for anyone but Clinton was a vote for Trump. I hope you are proud of yourself, because people who voted for Trump and those who stood back and let this liar become President have a lot to be accountable for. You may not realise it yet, but eventually many of the Trump supporters will wake up and realsie they were conned. Unfortunately, there is also many that are too stupid to ever realise they were conned and they're the ones who will be the worst affected, but there's nothing anyone can do for people like that!
    So you're proud of the lying lowlife president you now have? That's just great, I wonder if you'll feel the same way in 4 years!
    Maybe you have the reading comprehension issues? Unfortunately life is filled with compromises, although Hillary did not meet all of my expectations, she was the better choice since other than people blinded by prejudices or stupidity, it was pretty obvious Hillary was the best choice and the only one who could stop the cancer called Trump. So a vote for anyone else was a vote for Trump. Plus Johnson wasn't such a good choice either, he's almost as dumb as Trump!
    If you didn't vote for him and you have no illusions about Trump, then why did you chime in here in the first place and continue to chime in? Isn't this the typical troll method, where you argue against someone like Clinton, knowing you can never defend someone like trump, so you put down Clinton and claim you didn't vote for trump either. Unfortunately the presidential election in America is currently binary, so you're either for Trump or you aren't! I don't hear any of the crazy republicans talking about trump's flaws, and yes he has MANY. So if you want to continue arguing with me about how bad Hillary is, please do, but if that's the case I will have to assume you must be a closet trump supporter or you just don't understand how life works and maybe you're having Aleppo moments every day.

This is exactly what I said NOT to do in your other Dispute Resolution thread. All you're doing is repeating the same thing over and over again, "soapboxing" if you will. And again, making wide generalisations saying that anyone who voted for Trump is either a right-wing nut job or an idiot. In addition to that, you're latching on to posters and lambasting them for voting the way they're perfectly entitled to.

Look, if you really can't see anything wrong with what you've posted, or how it breaches the charter, despite me clearly spelling it out in the previous DRP thread, I don't really know what else to say to you.

For clarity I'll condense the bits of the charter that are relevant here:

- No soapboxing
    - No "shouting everyone down"
    - High standard of debate/quality posts required
    - No personal abuse (attack the post, not the poster)
    - Keep language civil; repeated use of uncivil terms will result in a forum ban

Almost every post you've made in that thread has either been abusive towards a group of people, or towards an individual, and has been repetitive soapboxing. In the 11 days you've been active on the Politics forum, you've managed to accrue 1 red card and 2 forum bans. It doesn't appear that you made any effort to modify your posting style, and your contention that other posters weren't being "nice" either isn't an excuse - if you see a post you have a problem with, you report it instead of responding to it. That's one of the oldest Boards rules.

I'm upholding the 4 day ban, and again I will say that if you don't post in line with the charter, debate constructively and refrain from attacking other posters/groups then we will no doubt end up here again. There is only so many times a poster can break the rules before they end up permanently banned from a forum, and if you continue to post the way you do, that's most likely where you're headed.

Listen Toots, I can't disagree with you any more and I want this appeal escalated! I admit last time I got a bit carried away last time, but this is a very emotional topic for me and I was careful this time and I didn't attack any other posters, you can't punish me again for something I was previously banned for. No where did I attack the poster, the posters I was debating with claimed they didn't even vote for Trump, so if they were telling the truth, any critisim of people who voted for Trump wasn't against the posters. I was stating public statistical records about people who voted for trump and even personal information about my own friends and relatives and at no point did i attack any other posters. In fact, many of the statements the other posters made were personal attacks against me and I was offended by many of their remarks, perhaps I should have reported them, but I didn't. I've been on Boards and been reading boards.ie for many years and this is nothing compared to many discussions and arguments I have seen and to me it seems as if someone has a political agenda. Lets face it, Donald trump is a terrible person, he may be the US president (for now), but he's still a terrible person, 4 and 8 years ago I didn't see anyone being banned for making ridiculous claims that Obama was a Muslim or wasn't born in the US, but the stories about Trump are true, how can someone be banned for simply telling the truth? Has Trump or the the Russians infiltrated Boards? I find this ban completely inappropriate and I want to appeal this!

I'll flag this for Admin review so.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Thanks Toots.

Seamus, I'll keep this short.
    Ban upheld.
    You're on the fast track to a permanent ban here if you don't change how you interact. Reading the above I have to wonder if you even see the problem, if not then can I suggest you take more than the 4 days and to try to take in what Toots and the mods are warning you about.

The following is unacceptable Seamus, and directly contradicts your last statement above about not attacking any posters, highlighting in bold, the same points the mod made.
    f you didn't vote for him and you have no illusions about Trump, then why did you chime in here in the first place and continue to chime in? Isn't this the typical troll method, where you argue against someone like Clinton, knowing you can never defend someone like trump, so you put down Clinton and claim you didn't vote for trump either. Unfortunately the presidential election in America is currently binary, so you're either for Trump or you aren't! I don't hear any of the crazy republicans talking about trump's flaws, and yes he has MANY. So if you want to continue arguing with me about how bad Hillary is, please do, but if that's the case I will have to assume you must be a closet trump supporter or you just don't understand how life works and maybe you're having Aleppo moments every day.

Thread closed, ban upheld.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement