Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electronic gear shifting

Options
  • 21-01-2017 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭

Is the upgrade worth it?

Is there much of a second hand market out there?

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Taxuser1 wrote: »

Is there much of a second hand market out there?

I have two bikes with Di2. One came with it installed. The other was built for less than €500 using ebay and the like.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Any bike that needs batteries to work is not a bike ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

RobFowl wrote: »
    Any bike that needs batteries to work is not a bike ;)

Bike still works when the battery is dead. If you pedal the wheels will turn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Upgrade can be very pricey as I found out, €1350 I was quoted for full di2 plus set up etc etc....

I backed away from it as I classed it as a show off upgrade when I was eventually honest with myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

dahat wrote: »
    Upgrade can be very pricey as I found out, €1350 I was quoted for full di2 plus set up etc etc....

I heart my wireless red shifting, but I equally heart the cabled red variety. Personally I wasn't bothered with cable electronics - wireless is for me an actual value add and hassle remover.

Electronic in general removes a lot of the decisions. Under load, under braking, under stress etc. It just works.

Whether it was worth it cost wise I don't know, but I have the choice now.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

godtabh wrote: »
    Think Rob's just admitted he's not allowed out in the dark....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Idleater wrote: »
    I heart my wireless red shifting, but I equally heart the cabled red variety. Personally I wasn't bothered with cable electronics - wireless is for me an actual value add and hassle remover.

Electronic in general removes a lot of the decisions. Under load, under braking, under stress etc. It just works.

Whether it was worth it cost wise I don't know, but I have the choice now.

I have been told this by plenty but wether that is worth €1350 is another matter, it was about €200 too expensive for me. Still disappointed all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I have been told this by plenty but wether that is worth €1350 is another matter, it was about €200 too expensive for me. Still disappointed all the same.

I upgraded a 5 year old frame with etap instead of buying another race bike so judging by the inflation in top of the range bikes I saved a couple of grand.

See what I did there :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

godtabh wrote: »

Functions but doesn't work ;)

RobFowl wrote: »
    Functions but doesn't work ;)

People have been saying that about me for years.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

It doesn't cost that much if you already have the crank/brakes.

https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;product=66952;menu=1000,4,26;page=2

You'l need to pick up a battery though

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Shimano-Di2-Battery-SM-BTR1-Ultegra-6770-6870-Dura-Ace-7970-9070-Li-Ion-7-4V-/201297271073?hash=item2ede409921:g:3i0AAOSw2xRYZDzt

Advertisement