Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man City vs Spurs

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Spurs should have been putting in crosses and whipped balls all night, City's centre backs looked all over the place the few times it happened. City deserved to win no doubt and were undone by a bad ref decision but Spurs will be pretty disappointed with their performance as well, a real chance to lay down a marker with one but they will have to hear how they were very lucky rather than just being good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Quazzie wrote: »
    Sterling was blatantly pushed just before he had to take a shot.

I know he was. I was the first person in the thread to point out it was a penalty Quazzie. But City had about a dozen chances to score in this game. Blaming the ref and decisions is all well and good.....but when you absolutely batter Spurs for 45 minutes and dont score................who is to blame really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Kirby wrote: »
    I know he was. I was the first person in the thread to point out it was a penalty Quazzie. But City had about a dozen chances to score in this game. Blaming the ref and decisions is all well and good.....but when you absolutely batter Spurs for 45 minutes and dont score................who is to blame really?

Sorry, I thought you were referencing that specific incident.

I mean coming off a hammering and the media treatment of Guardiola and this City side I believe is truly unprecedented in the last decade. I've never seen a campaign against a coach and club run with such hatred and with such a real nasty undertone to it that really isn't nice in a sporting context.

Ah here, it's like reading a script for Fair City

Tranquillo :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

M!Ck^ wrote: »

Tranquilo, it's with one l Mick;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Fair City can't run storylines like this with such a nasty undertone that so closely links to situation in the west at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

the media treatment of Guardiola and this City side I believe is truly unprecedented in the last decade.

Absolute bollocks.

They've licked his arse repeatedly from afar until this season. Like the rest of the footballing world.

This is the first time he's really been up against it. There's nothing nastier about it than anything Wenger, Mourinho, Fergie, Rodgers, Pardew, LVG, Moyes or any number managers have received.

Also, let's not forget the nasty, passive aggressive interview he gave to the BBC after the Burnley game.

Pep is fair game, just like the rest of the managers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

What was clichy doing turning his arse to the cross for spurs first, terrible.

I have to say the referring continues to be a joke
    No penalty for City
    Mike Dean today in the Championship game. Penalty outside the box
    Clattenburg looking right at a clear obstruction on Rashford in the Utd game

• Advertisement

Fair City can't run storylines like this with such a nasty undertone that so closely links to situation in the west at the moment.

You are embarrassing yourself with this complete overreaction
    He's been getting away light all season if you ask me
    Everybody gets it from the media
    It's up to him to shut them up with results like everyone else

SlickRic wrote: »
    Absolute bollocks.

They've linked his arse repeatedly from afar.

This is the first time he's really been up against it. There's nothing nastier about it than anything Wenger, Mourinho, Fergie, Rodgers, Pardew, LVG, Moyes or any number managers have received.

Also, let's not forget the nasty, passive aggressive interview he gave to the BBC after the Burnley game.

Pep is fair game, just like the rest of the managers.

I think you're being wilfully ignorant of something that isn't some mad conspiracy theory that I've concocted but something clearly acknowledged by some sports journalists in print, online and audio media so no point really in continuing this particular discussion if you can't see how The Sun or The Daily Mail's coverage of Guardiola differs to the others, in a really nasty way that you really shouldn't have in sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

jaysis, talk about a drama lama post!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

He invited scrutiny and criticism in with his childish interview with the BBC.

adox wrote:
    He invited scrutiny and criticism in with his childish interview with the BBC.

In that interview the BBC reporter was doing his best to give Pep an easy ride but Pep just gave weird answers.

*nastiest right wing media campaign in recent history against a coach in top flight football

M!ck: "he's been getting away light all season"

I expect nothing less from you.

• Advertisement

See he's talking a lot of sense in this interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

You would think AndersonIsGod would be delighted with the result. I thought he was a Chelsea fan?

*nastiest right wing media campaign in recent history against a coach in top flight football

M!ck: "he's been getting away light all season"

I expect nothing less from you.

Tune in next week where Pep joins Katy in Ciarans Dungeon :pac:

Will ya go away outa that
    Jose got grilled for half the season, but as soon as Utd started putting a few results together they haven't said boo
    Same goes for any manager who gives a sniff to the media of getting a good story
    Stop pretending it's a single witch hunt on poor Pep

Tune in next week where Pep joins Katy in Ciarans Dungeon :pac:

Will ya go away outa that
    Jose got grilled for half the season, but as soon as Utd started putting a few results together they haven't said boo
    Same goes for any manager who gives a sniff to the media of getting a good story
    Stop pretending it's a single witch hunt on poor Pep

Ye, it's exactly the same thing...

And on that note I take my leave from this thread because I don't really want to interpret undertones, subtext or the timing behind a right wing media witch hunt to people who would just rather not see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,636 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Nice to see Spurs and City cancel each other out. Re:the penalty... Obviously it should have been awarded, but it was a delicious irony to see that the one time Sterling didn't actually throw himself to the ground for no reason, he was fvcked over by the referee.

Looking at the bigger picture though, refereeing is a serious problem in England. Referees and their bosses have made diving and play acting profitable, and it's hard to row back now. Players are coached to initiate contact with defenders to falsify penalty fouls and imo the Epl are happy to encourage it as is creates goals and boosts strikers stats. Tackling, especially slide tackling is practically outlawed. Big problem for the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Nice to see Spurs and City cancel each other out. Re:the penalty... Obviously it should have been awarded, but it was a delicious irony to see that the one time Sterling didn't actually throw himself to the ground for no reason, he was fvcked over by the referee.

Looking at the bigger picture though, refereeing is a serious problem in England. Referees and their bosses have made diving and play acting profitable, and it's hard to row back now. Players are coached to initiate contact with defenders to falsify penalty fouls and imo the Epl are happy to encourage it as is creates goals and boosts strikers stats. Tackling, especially slide tackling is practically outlawed. Big problem for the game.
    Apparently, even Walker has come out and admiited he shoved Raheem;
    https://twitter.com/City_Watch/status/822893384973094912

That's a penalty and a red card, a it wasn't "a genuine attempt to play the ball". Now; with our record of taking penalties this season, there's no guarantee we'd have scored it. But that's no reason not to give it.

Ye, it's exactly the same thing...

And on that note I take my leave from this thread because I don't really want to interpret undertones, subtext or the timing behind a right wing media witch hunt to people who would just rather not see it.

tinfoil hat stuff :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

The Walker push on Sterling is a perfect example of why players go down easy. If Sterling takes a dive he gets a penalty, but because he kept going and got a shot away the ref leaves it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The Walker push on Sterling is a perfect example of why players go down easy. If Sterling takes a dive he gets a penalty, but because he kept going and got a shot away the ref leaves it.

It was a terrible decision though, I don't think it's a reason they go down easy. They go down easy because they go down easy, or in some cases dive. The push was blatant and just completely missed by the officials. If there was loads of that happening I'd say fair enough but I don't recall loads of blatant stuff like that push.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

If you're implying that Pep has been the subject of racism, that might be the most ridiculous thing I've heard. It takes being a Pep apologist to a whole new level.

It has far more to do with him being paid £30m a year, lauded as the Second Coming upon his arrival, and now having to deal with the expectations that come with his CV and wage.

It has nothing to do with any right wing agenda nonsense. He has received nothing from the pathetic gutter tabloids that other managers don't get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Very enjoyable game that. Sané was outstanding and Gabriel Jesus looks like he'll be a very fun player to watch. Son's goal was unreal, one of the goals of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Pep, deservedly, had the biggest reputation of any new coach newly arriving on the scene in Premier League history, so it stands to reason that he'll face a high amount of criticism if his ultra expensively assembled squad are languishing as far off the pace as they are.

That's basically it. Everything else is just noise.

The more you see it, the more risible that decision by Marriner is. Just how did he and/or his linesman miss it? The offside call on Kane for Spurs' second goal was a harder call, and it's understandable that the linesman missed that.

blueser wrote: »
    The more you see it, the more risible that decision by Marriner is. Just how did he and/or his linesman miss it? The offside call on Kane for Spurs' second goal was a harder call, and it's understandable that the linesman missed that.

It's a worrying development in football that is not been given enough coverage nor to the refs credit are been given enough support.
    Something surely has to be done to support the decisions they are making.
    Players are not making decisions easier either.
    The game has gotten sneakier IMO
    But then when you see blatant decisions called incorrectly then that ultimately frustrates everyone effected.

It's a worrying development in football that is not been given enough coverage nor to the refs credit are been given enough support.
    Something surely has to be done to support the decisions they are making.
    Players are not making decisions easier either.
    The game has gotten sneakier IMO
    But then when you see blatant decisions called incorrectly then that ultimately frustrates everyone effected.
    The standard of refereeing has declined worryingly this past few years. Even Dean, who was one of the better ones (relatively!) has gone to pot. And then you have the like of Moss and Taylor. I'd "luv it" (as KK famously said) if referees were obliged to come out after the game and explain any controversial decisions. As things stand, they're seen as "detached" from players, managers and fans and seem to be bullet proof in terms of any sanction. Not that the sight of Marriner explaining post game that he didn't see Walker's shove would have made me feel any better this evening!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I don't think they did miss it. I think they seen it but judged it as not a foul.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Sterling was about two yards offside when the ball was played to him so justice was done by the combined incompetence of the officials.

Korat wrote: »
    Sterling was about two yards offside when the ball was played to him so justice was done by the combined incompetence of the officials.
    Haven't heard anyone else saying that, and there was noo mention of it on MOTD, who discussed it at length.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Doesn't look offside to me

tsterling.png

Doesn't look offside to me

tsterling.png
    Imposible to make that offside call, particularly as that still is a fraction after the pass has been made. It's as tight a call as Spurs' second goal, where Kane was offside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Its not tight, he is clearly onside.

Kane was marginal but you are supposed to go with giving the advantage to the attacker so that should never have been an offside either.

Both decisions there correct.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Haven't heard anyone else saying that, and there was noo mention of it on MOTD, who discussed it at length.

I'm with you on that one.
    But that's back to my original point.
    Refs have been frequently crap but some of the decisions they are being forced to make are sometimes miniscule when it comes to yes / no decisions due to way too many factors in the overall complicated ruleset they have to deal with at current.
    The way the rules are defined don't help them in he slightest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Just watched the bbc post match interview with Pep there on MOTD. Honestly....

Talk about displaying a complete lack of class. He makes it awfully hard for himself sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Arghus wrote: »
    Just watched the bbc post match interview with Pep there on MOTD. Honestly....

Talk about displaying a complete lack of class. He makes it awfully hard for himself sometimes.

What did he say? On BT he was fine, praising Spurs

• Advertisement

Unearthly wrote: »
    What did he say? On BT he was fine, praising Spurs

He was sort of a bit like he was the other week with the Beeb. They went to the interview before they were both quite ready and Pep and the interviewer were watching a replay of the push by Walker on Sterling and they got the que to start the interview. So the interviewer said something along the lines of "so Pep we as well start with the Walker and Sterling incident where Sterling was pushed" and Peps response was along the lines of "the fort thing you want to ask me about is the referee? I thought the BBC were supposed to be classy..".

It was weird, very agitated again and very defensive and hostile at the start. All the more weird as the interview he gave to BT was very good, honest and truthful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Sad that people are focusing on media bullsh*t when there was some exceptional football on display yesterday by both teams but seems to be another growing trend in the game. If you've ever taken part in any level of sport that's taken anyway serious, whether player or coach, you'd understand that your emotions are all over the place after a game whether a win, loss or draw. You're liable to say anything. To brand a person in some way based after a media interview fresh after an intense game is very weak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I've no idea why managers say anything above very short answers to the media.Just come up with a series of rehearsed bland meaningless answers and get the hell out of there.

There is far too much discussion about the respect players and managers should show to the media when the media don't show much respect to them and the media are far too precious and have far too much regard for their own importance in the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I've no idea why managers say anything above very short answers to the media.Just come up with a series of rehearsed bland meaningless answers and get the hell out of there.

There is far too much discussion about the respect players and managers should show to the media when the media don't show much respect to them and the media are far too precious and have far too much regard for their own importance in the game.
    The Marshawn Lynch approach is probably the best

https://youtu.be/G1kvwXsZtU8

Burial. wrote: »
    Sad that people are focusing on media bullsh*t when there was some exceptional football on display yesterday by both teams but seems to be another growing trend in the game. If you've ever taken part in any level of sport that's taken anyway serious, whether player or coach, you'd understand that your emotions are all over the place after a game whether a win, loss or draw. You're liable to say anything. To brand a person in some way based after a media interview fresh after an intense game is very weak.

Focusing? Passing comment. On a discussion forum. Answering someone's question.

Also I commended him last night for his honest appraisal of the game after the match, which is why his interview with the Beeb afterwards was a little bizzare.

Advertisement