Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E Bike recommendations.

Options
  • 21-01-2017 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭

My 35km round trip commute is about to be turned into a 75km roundtrip commute. So I'm thinking about getting an e bike to alternate every odd day from my road bike.

Undecided between a street legal one and a fast (45kmh) one.

Also with e bikes is there much different between a hybrid and a 29er.
    Cube seem to have a good range.

So who has one or has used one and any recommendations.

Ideally I'd be looking at a 500W battery.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

I haven't owned an e-bike, but I have ridden a few, - with that distance, definitely go for the biggest battery available/that you can afford.

I also found that bikes with the motor in the crank, and the battery on the down-tube, handle a lot better than bikes with the motor in one of the wheels and/or the battery over the rear wheel (better weight distribution, and "regular" wheels mean easy maintenance). Have a look at Focus as well as Cube.

PS: Do not be tempted by the cheaper bikes with unfamiliar names -there are loads of cheap Chinese e-bikes with loads of unique, but unavailable parts, and a lot of the other parts are made of chocolate, not to mention their weight...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Thanks. Definitely looking for a mid mount Bosch or Yamaha engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭freshfruit

what have you settled on out of curiousity?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Cube Cross Hybrid - even with the Active engine is sweeet :) Versions with the Performance CX have higher torque, but its definitely overkill on the road and a bit noisier.

Very well made, decent components, good looks. The Bosch system is just great.

Advertisement