Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What tyre sizes are interchangeable ?

Options
  • 21-01-2017 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

Hi,

I like to ride on narrow tyres, a hybrid I'm considering buying (Cube SL Road Pro) comes with 35x622 tyres. So I'm wondering how low could I go, would it take 28x622 or even 25x622's ? Obviously the diameter is the same 622, but I assume the width of the rims themselves must change as the tyre width becomes more extreme, I mean the same rim wouldn't take an 18-622 and a 47-622, or would it ?

Thanks,

Usjes.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Usjes wrote: »
    Hi,

I like to ride on narrow tyres, a hybrid I'm considering buying (Cube SL Road Pro) comes with 35x622 tyres. So I'm wondering how low could I go, would it take 28x622 or even 25x622's ? Obviously the diameter is the same 622, but I assume the width of the rims themselves must change as the tyre width becomes more extreme, I mean the same rim wouldn't take an 18-622 and a 47-622, or would it ?

Thanks,

Usjes.

Interal rim width *1.4 - 2 is your range.

So for example a 20mm internal rim width can take 28mm -40mm.

I'd be more interested in fitting a nicer tyre than a narrow one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

ford2600 wrote: »
    I'd be more interested in fitting a nicer tyre than a narrow one

When choosing a width, consider that a narrower tyre will take a higher max pressure, so if you value low rolling resistance, go (a little) narrower, and if you value comfort, go (a little) wider.

You can also calculate what pressure you should use with calculators like these: http://www.dorkypantsr.us/bike-tire-pressure-calculator.html

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Usjes

Well for me, narrower tyres = faster.
    So assuming the standard issue tyres are roughly the middle of the range (1.7) this suggests that the internal rim width for the Cube is probably ~20mm
    which means the absolute min is probably a 28x622,
    Hmm, I may have to choose another bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Well for me, narrower tyres = faster.

The consensus on that is changing. 23's just to be the norm, now everyone wants 25's and many of them now looking to run 28's

https://youtu.be/yrHxQg1OW0A

The 36-622 Schwalbe Kojak takes a max of 6.5 BAR (95PSI), which should be pretty fast.

A 28-width tyre like the Durano Plus takes 8 BAR (115PSI), which is the same as a lot of 23's and 25's.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Type 17 wrote: »
    When choosing a width, consider that a narrower tyre will take a higher max pressure, so if you value low rolling resistance, go (a little) narrower, and if you value comfort, go (a little) wider.
    as fat bloke pointed out, this is no longer considered true. wider tyres are both more comfortable and have lower rolling resistance.
    https://www.schwalbetires.com/tech_info/rolling_resistance
    https://roadcyclinguk.com/gear/using-wider-tyres-road-bike.html/3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Type 17 wrote: »

You can also calculate what pressure you should use with calculators like these: http://www.dorkypantsr.us/bike-tire-pressure-calculator.html

Low rolling resistance does not equal high pressure (well it does, but only on incredibly smooth surfaces - like a velodrome).

On a normal road (and more so on the back road of wicklow) if the pressure is too high you just waste energy going up and down over the bumps, with a low pressure the tyre deforms and allows you to keep maximum efficiency on the pedals (it's even more obvious when tubeless).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

On my cycle today I had a 23 on front and 28 on bike as I had swapped a wheel out as a tyre was ruined on the other one and I'm waiting for a new one.

Anyway it was certainly a hell of a lot rougher on familiar roads than normal. I'm looking to go up from 28c myself on the tourer/commuter to 32/35 but need to find a tyre that rolls well, reasonably fast, is comfortable, decent grip and decent puncture protection. Probably no point worrying about weight.

On the other bike, I have 23c, but that's only as I've a stash of 23c tyres to get through. I'll be moving them up too.

saccades wrote: »
    ...On a normal road (and more so on the back road of wicklow) if the pressure is too high you just waste energy going up and down over the bumps, with a low pressure the tyre deforms and allows you to keep maximum efficiency on the pedals (it's even more obvious when tubeless).

Makes sense - so the summary is that a (relatively) wide tyre, set to the optimum pressure for the combined weight of you & the bike will give the best balance of grip/comfort/rolling resistance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Rider plus audax bike comes in at 95kgs for me.
    I ride 28mm at 60psi front 70psi (max) at rear.

On poor surfaces, wider tyres at lower pressure will be better all round than a narrower tyre. Your typical tar & chip surfaces is horrible on high pressure; rolling resistance testing on a smooth steel drum is a pretty irrelevant data for your typical Irish byroad

I'd ride a 30mm tyre if they would fit.

If you ride on nice smooth tarmac exclusively then there is probably a benefit to a narrower tyre; but that probably means riding in hard shoulder of busy roads; fcuk that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Weepsie wrote: »
    . I'm looking to go up from 28c myself on the tourer/commuter to 32/35 but need to find a tyre that rolls well, reasonably fast, is comfortable, decent grip and decent puncture protection. Probably no point worrying about weight.
    37mm Vittoria Voyager Hyper folding tyres do all of the above. They have a 120tpi casing (same as their racing tyres), puncture band, roll fast, grip well, very comfy and damn cheap from PlanetX. I've been riding them for the last two years over thousands of km.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

cdaly_ wrote: »
    37mm Vittoria Voyager Hyper folding tyres do all of the above. They have a 120tpi casing (same as their racing tyres), puncture band, roll fast, grip well, very comfy and damn cheap from PlanetX. I've been riding them for the last two years over thousands of km.

excellent. Might get some so. Was worried about their grip is all. Hmm, 35 or 38 is the question now

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭diarmaidol

Hi,

While tires have a big effect, really the OEM ones on that cube are slick and will probably roll well. If you are concerned with speed, are you buying the wrong bike?

Advertisement