Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why firearms are so strictly controlled in Ireland and UK

• 21-01-2017 9:42pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭

Should be relaxed, let's take a look at our European friends such as Germany and Switzerland, soldiers after serving get to keep their firearms at their homes in Switzerland and it is one of the safest countries in the world. In Germany the rules are strict but it is still possible to own a firearm after all the tests. These are only 2 examples but most other European countries have similar rules where it is actually possible to obtain a firearm. I am not talking about the system like in the USA where in many states you just enter a shop like centra, choose a gun you want and walk out. I would love to be able to shoot watermelons if I want with guns as I find that it is one of the most fun activities you can do which is unfortunately illegal in Ireland, it mostly prevents law abiding citizens from obtaining guns as you can see that it doesn't stop constant gang shootings in Dublin with illegaly obtained firearms.
    Also why do we copy everything just from the UK?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Guns in the wrong hands are very dangerous.

Shooting watermelons is just wasting good watermelons.

I'm quite happy with the current rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

What have you got against watermelons?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭brevity

Watermelons

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭Johnboner

Guns in the wrong hands are very dangerous.

Shooting watermelons is just wasting good watermelons.

I'm quite happy with the current rules.

Most of Europe is doing fine, it's just the United States that have problems as their gun laws are obviously ridiculously relaxed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,654 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Where exactly do you shoot these watermelons?

So I know to stay well away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate

Op - Switzerland has the 3rd highest firearm-related deaths in Europe, precisely because of the fact that soldiers bring their weapons home with them.

El Tarangu wrote: »

Op - Switzerland has the 3rd highest firearm-related deaths in Europe, precisely because of the fact that soldiers bring their weapons home with them.

Why are we doing everything for health and safety, we need a bit of danger in this world, you cannot be protected from everything if that's the case let's ban cars, alcohol and cigarettes as they are huge killers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭corner of hells

El Tarangu wrote: »

And water melon casualties?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I say keep the current laws in place.
    If you started to allow your average Joe blow to buy a firearm there would be more deaths.

You know yourself...

Johnboner wrote: »
    you cannot be protected from everything if that's the case let's ban cars, alcohol and cigarettes as they are huge killers

Those things are not designed to kill though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Should be relaxed, let's take a look at our European friends such as Germany and Switzerland, soldiers after serving get to keep their firearms at their homes in Switzerland and it is one of the safest countries in the world. In Germany the rules are strict but it is still possible to own a firearm after all the tests. These are only 2 examples but most other European countries have similar rules where it is actually possible to obtain a firearm. I am not talking about the system like in the USA where in many states you just enter a shop like centra, choose a gun you want and walk out. I would love to be able to shoot watermelons if I want with guns as I find that it is one of the most fun activities you can do which is unfortunately illegal in Ireland, it mostly prevents law abiding citizens from obtaining guns as you can see that it doesn't stop constant gang shootings in Dublin with illegaly obtained firearms.
    Also why do we copy everything just from the UK?

Jog on Donald, no market for your guns here.....

I say keep the current laws in place.
    If you started to allow your average Joe blow to buy a firearm there would be more deaths.

You know yourself...

That's what I am saying, require strict vetting before being able to purchase a firearm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

We need mother state to make all our decisions for us

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

And water melon casualties?

A veritable holocaust of smashed cuckoo clocks and spattered seeds.

Did you ever try it? Pretty sure you would change after shooting things yourself, it is an extremely fun and relaxing activity.

We need mother state to make all our decisions for us

Should protest to become a direct democracy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Did you ever try it? Pretty sure you would change after shooting things yourself, it is an extremely fun and relaxing activity.

Describing shooting as fun/relaxing puts you on a watchlist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

That's what I am saying, require strict vetting before being able to purchase a firearm.

That works in theory. But not always in reality.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »

Then millions of people around the world tht like shooting are on the watch list according to you. That's the first part of ignorance, condemnation of something that an ignorant person does not understand. Countless videos on YouTube people shooting watermelons and targets or are you understanding shooting people? I guess people see what they want to see not what is actually being said.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »

Then millions of people around the world tht like shooting are on the watch list according to you. That's the first part of ignorance, condemnation of something that an ignorant person does not understand. Countless videos on YouTube people shooting watermelons and targets or are you understanding shooting people? I guess people see what they want to see not what is actually being said.

I think he might be joking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭cml387

Shooting watermelons is thought to be fun because it's like shooting a head. This tells you all you need to know about gun enthusiast s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Bicky bicky

Will someone please think of the watermelons!

#watermelonsmatter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

What in particular gives you a hard on OP that you can't get from like I don't know a lady?

I mean your username seems a bit fakenews

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Honest question Op but what is the attraction for shooting a watermelon? You shoot your gun and the watermelon explodes? Honestly does it not get a bit dull? I am a person who doesn't think our gun laws are strict enough tbh but trying to see all views

In all my years having a firearms licence , it never once occurred to me to shoot a water melon.

Most of you haven't held a gun so how can you condemn something if you have never tried it. Would probably spend days at the firing range after trying it out. This is why our civilization does not advance as people are introduced new concepts they immediately dismiss, condemn or destroy it instead of trying to understand.

Miaireland wrote: »
    Honest question Op but what is the attraction for shooting a watermelon? You shoot your gun and the watermelon explodes? Honestly does it not get a bit dull? I am a person who doesn't think our gun laws are strict enough tbh but trying to see all views

Watermelon is just an example, targets are fun too, and other fruits.

In all my years having a firearms licence , it never once occurred to me to shoot a water melon.

But occurred to shoot innocent birds or other animals in Ireland? As I am only aware of hunting licenses in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,257 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Why are we doing everything for health and safety, we need a bit of danger in this world, you cannot be protected from everything if that's the case let's ban cars, alcohol and cigarettes as they are huge killers

That is some of the worst logic I have ever seen.

• Advertisement

Sonics2k wrote: »
    That is some of the worst logic I have ever seen.

If you say so, my son.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Mech1

But occurred to shoot innocent birds or other animals in Ireland? As I am only aware of hunting licenses in Ireland.

I shot traffic cones, the sky , water , hedges and banks of earth too

If you say so, my son.

No really. I say that as someone who was in the Army and also had a gun licence here in Ireland.

Guns have one real purpose, to inflict harm or kill. They aren't needed in society by everyday people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Guns are built for killing....airsoft/toy guns are what you need

I've shot foxes etc....can't say I found it particularly fun/relaxing tbh

A couple of hours shooting cards with a rifle and it gets a bit Meh. ....though I could see an opening for people to hire guns for shooting ranoes etc alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Our laws are ridiculous. I've been shooting for just over 10 years now (I'm the only one in my family that does). I recently looked into buying a pistol for target shooting and eventually decided against it. You can't buy a pistol in ireland in a calibre greater than .22, you can't hunt vermin with a pistol (even though it is as humane a method as a rifle of the same calibre). you can't have a pistol with a greater than 5 shot magazine. It is illegal to shoot targets (with any gun) on your own private land with the correct backstops in place. You can't licence a number of guns because they "look military". But yet a very small number of these guns are ever used for criminal purposes. I know that I could get an illegal firearm in my town tonight very easily if I so wished but because I'm a law abiding citizen I'm raked over the coals when trying to participate in one of my chosen sports

• Advertisement

This is why our civilization does not advance as people are introduced new concepts they immediately dismiss, condemn or destroy it instead of trying to understand.

When I first heard of the left handed ****, I laughed, I dismissed it as a myth, something that would never happen.

But now, my views have completely changed!!!

No really. I say that as someone who was in the Army and also had a gun licence here in Ireland.

Guns have one real purpose, to inflict harm or kill. They aren't needed in society by everyday people.

I say this as someone who has known a few criminals in the past, the bad guys can get guns easily. They are everywhere, so why can't law abiding citizens have guns to protect themselves?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭uptherebels

It is illegal to shoot targets (with any gun) on your own private land with the correct backstops in place.

and this is a bad thing?

I say this as someone who has known a few criminals in the past, the bad guys can get guns easily. They are everywhere, so why can't law abiding citizens have guns to protect themselves?

American logic?

Because the average person would panic in such a situation. Gun crime is not a big issue in Ireland and as any smart person would tell you, if you're being robbed at gun point, the best thing to do is just give them your stuff.

Some bloke walking down the street after a few pints gets mugged and then attempts to pull a gun on the mugger is not going to end well.

In terms of self defence, pepper spray and/or a taser is the best thing to do. Tasers should be legal in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Nothing stopping you shooting watermelons as long as you have a bit of land or are in a shooting club.

It is illegal to shoot targets (with any gun) on your own private land with the correct backstops in place.

and this is a bad thing?
    Of course it is, how would it be a good thing that a law abiding citizen that has gone through all of the legal background checks and taken all of the relevant safety precautions cannot shoot their gun at their target in their land?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

funny , i use mine for target shooting

if you dont know something just ask dont accuse please

Nothing stopping you shooting watermelons as long as you have a bit of land or are in a shooting club.

You could pepper spray them and then tazer them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

We have very strict gun controls due to the terrorist situation but to be honest I agree with it. Most sporting gun/farmers etc know the craic and will have one anyway.

America is just nuts. They are afraid of everything and as such they are in a state of constant paranoia. They should just issue everyone with tazers and reduce the death rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,674 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Agree 100%
    The pea shooter is a 50 Cal, the scope is $8,000 alone, the shells are $8/a pop.
    The target was at 1,000 yds.
    Mighty

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭uptherebels

Of course it is, how would it be a good thing that a law abiding citizen that has gone through all of the legal background checks and taken all of the relevant safety precautions cannot shoot their gun at their target in their land?

Imagine living next to a guy that spends all day shooting targets, the other side of your garden.

Because the average person would panic in such a situation. Gun crime is not a big issue in Ireland and as any smart person would tell you, if you're being robbed at gun point, the best thing to do is just give them your stuff.

Some bloke walking down the street after a few pints gets mugged and then attempts to pull a gun on the mugger is not going to end well.

In terms of self defence, pepper spray and/or a taser is the best thing to do. Tasers should be legal in Ireland

Oh I agree with you, anyone who wants a gun should have to go through extensive training courses and background checks. I do think through certain avenues though people should be allowed guns for self defense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

People having guns in a conflict dramatically increases the likelihood of someone getting killed - ie. If you try to defend yourself with a gun then you're more likely to die.

"Defending yourself with a gun" is also quite rightly considered murder in this country. Nobody has the right to take your stuff, but the criminal still has infinitely more right to life than you do to have a TV.

Imagine living next to a guy that spends all day shooting targets, the other side of your garden.

I'm not talking about shooting it I'm your back garden ffs. I'm talking about shooting it on your own farm, there are laws as regards how close you can be to a property. I'm also not talking about shooting a grenade launcher. Have you ever heard a regular rifle being shot? You'd want to be very close to hear a .22

• Advertisement
Advertisement