Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic conversion

Options
  • 21-01-2017 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭

Hi folks,

We are interested in getting our attic converted.

I rang five different companies so far and have one company give me a price from looking at my house on google maps, one by the square footage (approx price).

One person said he wouldn'ttravel out to do it and two measured up and never got back to me.

Has anybody had an attic conversion done and if so who did they use and are they happy with the work completed?

Im located on the Dublin side of Naas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 davidbowieno1

I know of two people who had their attics converted in celbridge and we're very happy with the results .

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I'm about a week off finishing mine. Original budget 25k
    Finished cost 40k (give or take 5k either way). I stopped counting.
    Big costs were, Insulation, Plumbing (had to upgrade water tank) moved
    to pressurised system, shift load of roof from timber to steel. Carpenter, Plaster, Electrician, Engineered plans.
    (Couldn't meet regulation due to head height rules but there's no issue with head heights, just looney rules, will apply for retention if ever selling but it's not on the radar)
    Very happy, used the best of everything insulation/ habito plasterboard/ double floored with 22b soundproofing, 1 massive room, 1 very good sized, and another good size that's caught for head height a bit, big landing and good sized bathroom with rain shower etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

......Very happy, used the best of everything insulation/ habito plasterboard.....

How happy are you with the habito plasterboard? We're thinking of using it, mainly for superior sound insulation. Is it worth the extra money?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

How happy are you with the habito plasterboard? We're thinking of using it, mainly for superior sound insulation. Is it worth the extra money?

I used it for the strength & sound, easy for hanging stuff and I've 2 little lads who no doubt will be replicating the habito hurling video at some stage.
    I've put a wired stereo single stereo speaker in the ceiling of the 2 big rooms, turned them up full blast the other day and closed the doors and you could barely hear it on the landing between the 2 rooms and was barely noticeable downstairs, not loud enough for anyone to say turn it down.
    On the ceilings we used ordinarily plasterboard, the walls habito and all around the toilet and stairwell concrete board. We had to change the size of one of the rooms downstairs to fit the stairs without loosing any of the rest of the downstairs, so we lost half some of the usable space in a press as you come in and 1ft of a bedroom but it's fine. Room still is plenty big and it's concrete board on the hall side and habito on stair well side.
    Am I glad I used it, yes, the only thing I can compare it to is I rented a semi d that was built in 2007 for a while and it was made of paper in comparison. Mine feels like it's concrete throughout.
    Plasters and Carpenter thought it was the best stuff they've ever seen, it did make the work a little harder for them as they were comparing it to wood to work with so maybe cost them a day or two.
    Habito rep called me when I put in the order to come take photos of the job but he never appeared when I gave him to ok.

Advertisement