Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good dishwasher brands

• 21-01-2017 9:53pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I'm planning to replace the crappy (PowerPoint) dishwasher that has been in the house since we bought it and am looking for some guidance on what's a good brand to go with (and what to avoid).

Ideally I'm looking to spend ~€300, but could push that up to a maximum of €500 if it's worth it.

The one we have is integrated so handiest to stick with that - feature-wise I'm not looking for anything in particular either but any recommendations are welcome there too.

I should say we're planning to buy from Harvey Norman too, as we've vouchers from there, so that might limit our options somewhat as well!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

For an integrated dishwasher you'd want ant to be spending more than €300 anyway.
    Check the place settings. Integrated dishwashers are often smaller inside than freestanding ones.
    A cutlery tray at the top saves space.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

colm_mcm wrote: »
    For an integrated dishwasher you'd want ant to be spending more than €300 anyway.
    Check the place settings. Integrated dishwashers are often smaller inside than freestanding ones.
    A cutlery tray at the top saves space.

Thanks - yeah the HN site seems to be starting at 300. I'd be happy going with a regular one but it would involve cutting down the kick board... not a huge amount of hassle but hassle nonetheless.

Any brands to avoid/look for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

If you can afford it go with Miele, if not Siemens or Bosch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LpPepper

Electrolux also do a nice 13 place integrated dishwasher for around €500. 2 year parts and labour warranty, nice quality machine...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,

Would you go for these brands over Whirlpool or Hotpoint? If so any particular reason why?
    I'm looking for a fully integrated dishwasher (where I can put the kitchen panel on the front of it), was hoping €400 should do it, willing to spend more if it's worth it.
    (hope I'm not hi-jacking this thread...)
    Thanks,
    Pa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I've been told by a few repair lads that the Bosch brands are one of the best.
    You'll pay a bit more, but I've found them excellent.

Wouldn't be mad on either but hotpoint over WP. Zanussi are a decent brand too, for around the same price point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭Immaculata

Bosch!

I have one and I have six people plus guests to look after. Often I run the thing packed to the gills two or three times a day. It's nearly ten years old and I've never had a problem with it.

Any thoughts on Electrolux please? Local store recommended an Electrolux over Bosch, both same price, said Electrolux had more features.

I haven't checked them out fully yet (energy ratings, db noise etc.) but I haven't heard of Electrolux much.

Also what are the things to look out for-
    1. db noise
    2. programs
    3. energy rating
    4. place settings
    5. top shelf for cutlury (a few people here said they're great)
    6. Anything else?

Thanks again,
    Pa.

Check the springs on the door, you want one that closes slowly, good strong doorsprings, as you'll be opening/closing a lot. I find the topshelf handy also. Check if you can change the height levels on the shelves. Check for water usage and a quick / half full programme. Ask for free salt and tablets!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,281 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Got this Bosch a couple of weeks ago and are delighted with it so far.

https://www.joyces.ie/product/bosch-freestanding-activewater-silver-dishwasher-sms50c28gb/

Thanks for the comments.
    Checked in local DID and it seems Bosch don't do the top-cutlery shelf- pity.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Wouldn't be mad on either but hotpoint over WP. Zanussi are a decent brand too, for around the same price point.
    Bear in mind that Whirlpool now own the Indesit Company, which includes Hotpoint, Creda, Ariston, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Spoke to someone who repairs appliances recently.

He said he wouldn't touch Whirlpool/Hotpoint. He said he would only go for Bosch (Siemens are the same company) and if possible Miele. Bosch etc are made for repairing if they have an issue - the cheaper brands are not.

I personally have a Bosch and my parents have an integrated Bosch thats about 17 years old now!Only issue they ever had was a spring went in the door and was easily fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

if you are considering Bosch go with the SMS50, they also have a similar version sms40 but two different machines that look alike but wont perform equally, they are even made in two different countries, if you need the extra rack for cutlery you will have it in their Siemens branded version. you cannot compare machines made 15 or more years ago with todays products it would be a bit like comparing Industrial equipment with domestic. with bosch/siemens d/w always have the filters locked down correctly with arrows facing each other otherwise it wont be long before the washing performance drops, these machines wash the racks individually so you get all the pressure from the circulating pump to give a great clean but if filter is left loose debris will get down into the pump and clog it up, usually the complaint from the customer is that the last dw was a lot better until you show them what they are doing wrong, and that's quite a few of them. Miele are also top shelf appliances but expensive and expensive in spares if they go wrong

byte

Interesting poing with regards the Bosch SMS40 and SMS50. I'm nearly sure that the SMS40 also has a plastic floor, presumably the SMS50 has a steel floor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

I have a bosch that everything comes out bone dry each time. I have only used a towel when I loaded a glass wrong. I have it nearly 15 years out an ounce of trouble.

I would not touch anything cheaper than a Bosch. They are false economy. I know landlords who only buy bosch and generally a bosch lasts far longer than 10 years. You would be on Beko, Candy, Whirlpool etc number 2/3 after 10 years.

I know Bosch are making stuff in lower cost countries, but I imagine the parts are just the same. It is not uncommon for appliances/cars in America to go from the US to Mexico several times. Even a car made in Mexico, could have mainly been assembled in the US

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

We have a Miele for 15 years now, it cost around a grand, the in laws really took the pi$$ out of us for wasting our money on "Brands" but it's still looks and works as good as new, no brand snobbery but it's just a great machine, and everything comes out bone dry... and I mean bone dry and never needed to finish anything with a tea towel.

The in laws moved into a new house around 12 years ago and bought new appliances,
    The first dishwasher was a Nordmende I think for around €320 and it lasted around 4 years, then he bought a Zanussi for around €400 (pure junk, it lasted ok but didn't work very well) and the last one was 2 years ago he bought his third dishwasher, a Whirlpool costing around €430 so I were slightly on top now with the dishwasher but we're on our third Hotpoint washing machine as the wife like the look of them :confused::o :mad:

We have a Miele washing machine, paid €1200 10 years ago for it, well worth the money. Def another 10 years of life left in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭waterfaerie

We have a Hotpoint LTF11M132C. We bought it for the low decibels because we're living in a small, open plan space and it was the quietest dishwasher we could find. It is actually so quiet that you can't tell it's on. It has the top cutlery shelf and excellent energy and water ratings as well.

However, we had an issue with it there recently, just about still in warranty, and Hotpoint were an absolute nightmare to deal with. It took a month to get it fixed and that was with both us and the shop we bought it from hounding Hotpoint constantly.

Also, you have to ring a call centre with a UK number to deal with them, which I think is not on. They are deceptive to new customers about this because they have an Irish number for sales and when you ring it, it says press 1 for sales and press 2 for faults, so new customers would assume they could ring the Irish number if they ever have a fault. Then when you actually have a fault and try to ring that number they won't deal with you and you have to ring the UK number.

I do actually love the dishwasher but I would never buy from Hotpoint or any of their related brands again.

• Advertisement
    byte

0818 313413 is the number for Ireland. Calls are around 9c per minute from landline, more from a mobile. Sadly, there doesn't seem to be known standard landline number to dial instead of it.
    http://www.saynoto1890.com/call-costs/

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭a_noodle_jenny

Do you have any particular model of the above that is good please?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭a_noodle_jenny

We have a Hotpoint LTF11M132C. We bought it for the low decibels because we're living in a small, open plan space and it was the quietest dishwasher we could find. It is actually so quiet that you can't tell it's on. It has the top cutlery shelf and excellent energy and water ratings as well.

However, we had an issue with it there recently, just about still in warranty, and Hotpoint were an absolute nightmare to deal with. It took a month to get it fixed and that was with both us and the shop we bought it from hounding Hotpoint constantly.

Also, you have to ring a call centre with a UK number to deal with them, which I think is not on. They are deceptive to new customers about this because they have an Irish number for sales and when you ring it, it says press 1 for sales and press 2 for faults, so new customers would assume they could ring the Irish number if they ever have a fault. Then when you actually have a fault and try to ring that number they won't deal with you and you have to ring the UK number.

I do actually love the dishwasher but I would never buy from Hotpoint or any of their related brands again.

That particular company mentioned above have had some big issue with leaving their servicemen high and dry so our local electrical retailer (euronics but its a ling standing store from when i was a kid) won't deal with them anymore.... my mum had someone out fixing her whirlpool washing machine I think and he told her... we were both very impressed with the retailer looking after their servicemen as well as their customers. It's sad really to have let things get bad... as you said especially if the appliance is good

byte

That particular company mentioned above have had some big issue with leaving their servicemen high and dry so our local electrical retailer (euronics but its a ling standing store from when i was a kid) won't deal with them anymore.... my mum had someone out fixing her whirlpool washing machine I think and he told her... we were both very impressed with the retailer looking after their servicemen as well as their customers. It's sad really to have let things get bad... as you said especially if the appliance is good
    I'd imagine the presumably colossal workload of doing repairs on many Hotpoint/Creda/Indesit dryers is taking its toll. I wonder did Whirlpool consider this when taking over Indesit Company a year or two ago.

I don't know about nationally, but locally too, their repairmen have seemingly went from being directly employed by Indesit to being contractors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Have a boesch dishwasher. 8 years s later,,its like brand new.

Advertisement