Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

unpaid leave after maternity leave

Options
  • 21-01-2017 10:01pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭

Hey all

One of the girls in work has herself in a tizzy. She is coming to end of maternity leave and wants to take unpaid leave til summer hols. Does she have glto go back in the last week/last day to get paid for the hols if her unpaid ends week school finishes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Hey all

One of the girls in work has herself in a tizzy. She is coming to end of maternity leave and wants to take unpaid leave til summer hols. Does she have glto go back in the last week/last day to get paid for the hols if her unpaid ends week school finishes?

Not necessarily but I would recommend it. From what I know is, if you don't go in last day and are absent on the first day of the new academic year that period is classed as sick leave. I don't know about pay, but I assume your friend would be paid anyway but could implications if they were to get sick in the four year period.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Not necessarily but I would recommend it. From what I know is, if you don't go in last day and are absent on the first day of the new academic year that period is classed as sick leave. I don't know about pay, but I assume your friend would be paid anyway but could implications if they were to get sick in the four year period.

But she is on unpaid leave leave. Not sick leave. No, as far as I know you don't have to go back for one day to be paid for the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Don't have to but I probably would, in case there's any grey area. Chances are it'd be a 3 hour thing so not too disruptive.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Hey all

Yes, otherwise her unpaid leave continues over the summer until she is back next year. If she returns to work before the summer then she is back at work, maternity leave is over (unpaid or otherwise) and she claims her working wage as usual over the summer months.

Advertisement