Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canyon Speedmax CF

Options
  • 22-01-2017 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

I Got my first Tri bike last year, a second Felt B12. The bike was fine, except through a cock up up on a pre purchase bike fit, the bike was too small.

I am looking at the Speedmax to replace it.

The pros: 8.1kgs, Dur-ace/Ultegra, Reynolds Strike wheels.

The same bike with Mavic Cxr wheels, is €400 cheaper and 0.5 kgs heavier.

Are the Reynolds worth the €400 extra?

Planning on using the bike for 70.3s and full distance.

Is there other bike/price packages as good or better worth considering?

Speedmax with Reynolds:
    https://www.canyon.com/en-ie/triathlon/speedmax/speedmax-cf-9-0-sl.html

Speedmax with CXR's:
    https://www.canyon.com/en-ie/triathlon/speedmax/speedmax-cf-9-0.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

If your sure the bike fits its a nice bike. Spec is hard to beat for the price. Going to be hard to find a bike at that price that will come with race wheels too. Personally I like the felt IA's, speed concepts are nice too. Plenty of choice but I'd say go for the one that fits best. Fit is key, especially if your looking at going long.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Bawnmore_Ent.

joey100 wrote: »
    If your sure the bike fits its a nice bike. Spec is hard to beat for the price. Going to be hard to find a bike at that price that will come with race wheels too. Personally I like the felt IA's, speed concepts are nice too. Plenty of choice but I'd say go for the one that fits best. Fit is key, especially if your looking at going long.

Had a look at the Ia. It is a lovely bike. a bit heavy at 9.6kgs. if I put the reynolds strikes on top at €1400, it would come in at €4199.

While weight is not the biggest issue for this years IM, i may be doing a lumpier course in 2018,where weight could make a bigger difference.

Whats your thoughts on the Macvic CXR wheels?

http://shop.edelrad.de/en/ia-series/1873-felt-ia-14-ultegra-2016-ia14.html

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭mcdonrob

Mavic CXR wheels look great. But bear in mind their "blade" may not be UCI legal, fine for IM etc... but not if you want to use in TTs.

http://pelotonmagazine.com/gear/mavic-cosmic-cxr-60-tubular-review-images/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

the cxr wheels likely to be faster than the strikes especially if you are a bit smart about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

Have the CXR60, blades are not UCI legal, whether that's an issue or not is obviously another story. I don't have anything to compare them to apart from other Mavic wheelsets so can't give any advice as to whether they're better or worse than the Reynolds, but I'm happy with them, build quality is what you'd expect from Mavic, and (touch wood) I've had no issues with them. They 'feel' fast, if that's any use, unfortunately I can't be anymore scientific than that.

• Advertisement

peter kern wrote:
    the cxr wheels likely to be faster than the strikes especially if you are a bit smart about it.

Hi Peter, could you expand on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Hi Peter, could you expand on that?
    I made a mistake its the mavic tubular that rolls quite poorly
    the clincher is not super great but most people would suggest the best for the system esecially in the front.

edit something useful for ireland the break surface in the mavic would be a good bit better than the reynolds. so in a hilier course the weight gain is likely negated by more effective braking and more confidence especailly on a wet day.

peter kern wrote: »
    ...something useful for ireland the break surface in the mavic would be a good bit better than the reynolds. so in a hilier course the weight gain is likely negated by more effective braking and more confidence especailly on a wet day.

Just to add to this the Mavic use their 'exalith' braking surface (with specific brake pads), I can confirm it is very good, particularly in wet conditions.

Statler wrote:
    Just to add to this the Mavic use their 'exalith' braking surface (with specific brake pads), I can confirm it is very good, particularly in wet conditions.

Seams to be thumbs for the Mavics, except for tts.

Getting them serviced would be easier as well. Not sure of official Reynolds service centre in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭kneejerk

Have you checked the order fulfillment periods with Canyon?

Depending on the size you want it can take anything up to 6 months!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Given your previous sizing issues, how can you be sure that Canyon is right for you? (I assume they are still mail order only??)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

If you know your stack and reach numbers you can usually find a bike that fits. Most companies have the info on their sites now and from looking at bikes there is becoming a bigger cross over between sizes than would have traditionally been available.

kneejerk wrote:
    Depending on the size you want it can take anything up to 6 months!

Ya, I know, it's a bit mental

EC1000 wrote:
    Given your previous sizing issues, how can you be sure that Canyon is right for you? (I assume they are still mail order only??)

It was the fitters error. I was set up on a 2013 geometry, and I was buying a 2012 bike.

Seams to be thumbs for the Mavics, except for tts.

Getting them serviced would be easier as well. Not sure of official Reynolds service centre in Ireland.

If you want to keep it honest for a TT the blade attachments can be easily removed. I've no idea what that would do to the aerodynamics of the wheel but it is an option. Not that I'm suggesting cheating but would the wheels even be checked?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

Fit is v important. I wanted a Canyon Speedmax CF but didn't fit it well whereas had a better fit on the IA. So IA it was.

Ordered Speedmax with Mavics.

Thanks for the advice lads.

Now for the long wait for the post man :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1 siebs12

If you don't want to wait, I have a 2016 Speedmax CF SLX (size S) in black/white with Dura-Ace Di2 that I have to sell :(
    Let me know if you're interested.  I can send you the full spec....sweet bike with lots of upgrades (Ceramic Speed, etc).

siebs12 wrote:
    If you don't want to wait, I have a 2016 Speedmax CF SLX (size S) in black/white with Dura-Ace Di2 that I have to sell Let me know if you're interested. I can send you the full spec....sweet bike with lots of upgrades (Ceramic Speed, etc).

Thanks for offer, that's a super bike, but too small for me, I'm 185cm

Statler wrote:
    Have the CXR60, blades are not UCI legal, whether that's an issue or not is obviously another story. I don't have anything to compare them to apart from other Mavic wheelsets so can't give any advice as to whether they're better or worse than the Reynolds, but I'm happy with them, build quality is what you'd expect from Mavic, and (touch wood) I've had no issues with them. They 'feel' fast, if that's any use, unfortunately I can't be anymore scientific than that.

have you put tried putting any other brand tyres on wheel? How did they fit with blade?

• Advertisement

have you put tried putting any other brand tyres on wheel? How did they fit with blade?

I swapped the stock Mavic tyres for Continental Attack/Force, as far as I remember Mavic warn against using other manufacturer's tyres , but I figured they would say that given they come with Mavic tyres. No issues using the Contis last year, I did check the contact area with the blades fairly regularly and found nothing to be concerned about.

Statler wrote:
    I swapped the stock Mavic tyres for Continental Attack/Force, as far as I remember Mavic warn against using other manufacturer's tyres , but I figured they would say that given they come with Mavic tyres. No issues using the Contis last year, I did check the contact area with the blades fairly regularly and found nothing to be concerned about.

That's good to know, I got Mavic tyres with wheels on new bike last year, great for a while and then loads of punctures, so had to go.

Probably stick gp4000s on

Well, Bike arrived on 24.05.17.

Ordered it on 25th Jan.

A lot of different issues along the way, but got it sorted in the end.

it's a fabulous piece of kit.

Got the Reynolds strike wheels with a discount applied after another cock up.

Tried to post pics, but failed

Ordered it on 25th Jan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Good stuff. Try again :)

When is it's first race? Have you been out on it much in the first week? Initial thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 seant5215

Ordered it on 25th Jan.

Did Canyon manage to meet the delivery times stated on their website when you made the order? Or were there further delays?
    Am tempted to buy the same machine but would like to understand more about the accuracy of their lead times.

Thanks

pgibbo wrote: »
    Good stuff. Try again :)

When is it's first race? Have you been out on it much in the first week? Initial thoughts?

Had 2 spins so far, only 60k in total. My God it feels fast, and very rigid.

Also, noticed very easy to turn at low speeds, doing a 180 degree turn on narrow roads.

The 62mm wheels do catch crosswind , but i never felt it was a problem. You would hardly notice they were carbon when braking, very understated sound.

Still have stock saddle on, so far. May change to Adamo later, but I have felt so comfortable on bike, I said I will leave a little bit to see how we get on.

Its first big outing will be Celtic Warrior 70.3 in August, and then off to IM Italy in Sept.

failed to upload pic again, said fill too big :-( dont have the patience for these things anymore

Advertisement