Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

question on possible redundancy

Options
  • 22-01-2017 1:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I work on a team of 6 people. Its been a very difficult situation in work for some time, and two people got jobs elsewhere in October and November. I then ended up going out on long-term sick leave due to stress / anxiety and have been off since. In the meantime one of the remaining two staff applied for and got an internal transfer, while the other was told last week that the team was being disbanded and she could either apply for a new internal position or take statutory redundancy. She's taken the redundancy.

I've got a meeting with HR on Monday to discuss my options for returning to work. Since my team no longer exists, I'm assuming they need to offer me the same - apply for a new position or take redundancy?

I would absolutely take the redundancy option, so the question is - is this the case? Will they have to offer me the same choices? The other staff who took redundancy was only with the company 2 years while I've been with them for close to 15, so my package would obviously be more and I'm worried that if there was any way for them to get out of offering me redundancy in this situation, they will take it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Just because you are on the same team, doesn't mean that you have to be offered redundancy because your colleague was, it's very rare that no distinction can be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Actually if they have an alternative suitable position to offer they don't need to offer redundancy as well.

They would be within their rights to say " here's an offer of alternative work, take it or your free to leave anytime"

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

It would have to be a suitable alternative though, it they offer a position 100 miles away, then that is not an suitable alternative.

No point second guessing really, you need to go in, have the discussion, see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

The team member offered redundancy may simply have been poor at her job.

If they do not offer you the same deal there is little that you can do if they have an alternate suitable role. You should take it as a compliment, good employees are hard to find and rarely offered redundancy unless there is no other choice.

Advertisement