Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spot lights not working

Options
  • 22-01-2017 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭

Spot lights in hall on dimmer

A few days ago "power went" and flicked switch on fuse board and power back on except all the spot lights in hall are not working.

Bought a new build and put in to see if the bulbs had blown

Still nothing

Any thoughts ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

I dont think spots should be on a dimmer...if all are gone ..it could be the live feed to the first spot or to the transformer if 12v

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

What type of lamps are in the spots ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭RoryW

Stoner wrote: »
    What type of lamps are in the spots ?

the print on bulb says
    GU10
    240v 50w

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

RoryW wrote: »
    the print on bulb says
    GU10
    240v 50w

How many spots are on the dimmer and was it switched on when the mcb tripped?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭The Premier Man

I dont think spots should be on a dimmer...if all are gone ..it could be the live feed to the first spot or to the transformer if 12v

Why shouldn't they be?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I dont think spots should be on a dimmer...

I disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Op can you see if dimmer is getting a supply and also if it is then check outgoing.

It could well be there was a power surge and lamps blew.

Sometimes looking at the bulb it make look OK but the element could be gone lower down where can't see.

Op can you see if dimmer is getting a supply and also if it is then check outgoing.

It could well be there was a power surge and lamps blew.

Sometimes looking at the bulb it make look OK but the element could be gone lower down where can't see.

The OP seems to have very limited electrical knowledge so wouldn't encourage them to check a live circuit.

He has also replaced the bulb( I assume build = bulb in the opening post) so the problem is not with the bulbs.

I would imagine the fault is at the dimmer switch and it should be replaced. It's also perfectly fine to put spots on a dimmer as long as the total wattage of the spots doesn't exceed what the dimmer is rated for which is why I asked previously how many spots are on the dimmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭RoryW

aido79 wrote: »
    The OP seems to have very limited electrical knowledge

Correct !

Water and Electrics - avoid if you don't know what you are doing
    He has also replaced the bulb( I assume build = bulb in the opening post)

Yes, bulb

I would imagine the fault is at the dimmer switch and it should be replaced.

Noted thanks, sounds like a call out is needed for an electrician so
    why I asked previously how many spots are on the dimmer.

Six

RoryW wrote: »
    Correct !

Water and Electrics - avoid if you don't know what you are doing

Yes, bulb

Noted thanks, sounds like a call out is needed for an electrician so

Six

Yes definitely call an electrician. He will be able to test the dimmer switch and tell you if it needs replacing. If you are buying a new dimmer switch make sure it is rated for over 300 watts (probably best to go for 500 watts) or look at replacing the halogen bulbs with led's. If you use these lights a lot then they will pay for themselves over time and are less likely to blow than the halogen ones you have now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Stravos Murphy

If you are upgrading to led get a new dimmer that will work with the leds.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

If you are upgrading to led get a new dimmer that will work with the leds.

LEDs would be far better for a number of reasons.

Advertisement