Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my asking price too high?

• 22-01-2017 12:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,572 ✭✭✭✭

First off this is not a sale thread.
    I put my camera kit up for sale yesterday,
    There have been hundreds of views but seemingly not one question or offer has been made, Yet the lens with the kit is a very desireable lens. I have seen these lenses make very decent money an were in very used condition.
    Can someone give me an idea if my asking price is too high?
    I think it is reasonable enough for what is on offer.
    Link in my sig,
    If this is against the rules please delete.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

Yes. It is also a terrible idea to bundle what you have there. Terrible.

Sell that 17-55 2.8 Nikkor separately and include the Var-ND and Cir-PL 77mm filters. The Hoya Cir-PL has value, the un-named Var-ND....Meh, not really. Plenty of people will pay well for that lens but not a cent for all the other junk.

Sell the D300 body with the 16 and 32GB cards and include also the 'Nikon' MC-36 and MC-DC1 remotes. Be realistic with your asking price. There's plenty of alternatives available to someone looking for a starter kit, but priced fairly it should sell well enough compared to trying to bundle it as a kit with a load of mismatched gear.

The other bit you have to sell don't appeal to the same kind of buyers. Give that stuff away to a charity shop or something. Sell the two things people will value (lens, body) and just get rid of the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,572 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Thanks.
    Could you give me an idea of fair price for the two bundles?
    I just fear that the lens would sell as I know it is a desirable lens, and I would be left with the body. This would be usrless to me.
    Thanks

If you have the original box/packaging/paperwork for the 17-55, I'd put a value of 550 on it if it's in what *You* would describe as being 9/10 condition and I didn't have to go out of my way to get it. I know you've a good eye for condition so if you'd describe it as being excellent, that's where I'd put a price on it. Without the box and packaging but with the two 77mm filters, 500 for a determined buyer could be fair pricing.

The D300 is trickier but you kind of have a wider market for it too. Second/Spare/Beginner/Loaner body. With a pair of CF cards and in very good to excellent cosmetic condition, it's gotta be worth somewhere in the 200-225 range, 'body only'.

"D300 DX Format DSLR Body Only - Perfect for wildlife/sports/portraits/landscape.

<4500 Shutter actuations - Shutter rated for a minimum of 150,000

Sold with genuine Nikon EN-EL3e Battery, Nikon 120/240v Charger and original Strap and LCD screen protector are included

In perfect working order and looks/appearance are 9.5/10 - Very small signs of use, but well looked after and never abused.

Works with all Nikon manual and autofocus lenses, VR lenses etc made since 1977! For more information on the D300, look here:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d300.htm "

Food for thought there.
    I know the lens would sell no problem. But again I am waryof being left with the body which would be of no use to me then.
    Perhaps I ditch the * junk * as you call it and just bundle the good stuff together for 750/775?
    I would prefer to keep the lot with a chance of getting an urge to use it again rather than split it and be stuck with the body
    Thanks for your advice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the sort of person willing to spend say €600 on a lens is generally not the sort of person also in the hunt for a D300 body, i'd guess. why buy a very good lens and a body which was released nearly 9 years ago?

• Advertisement

vectra wrote: »
    Food for thought there.
    I know the lens would sell no problem. But again I am waryof being left with the body which would be of no use to me then.
    Perhaps I ditch the * junk * as you call it and just bundle the good stuff together for 750/775?
    I would prefer to keep the lot with a chance of getting an urge to use it again rather than split it and be stuck with the body
    Thanks for your advice.

You're missing the point.

D300, oldie but goodie. Worth a punt if you're on a slim budget or are specifically looking for a starter/backup/loaner body etc.

17-55 2.8 ED DX, worth a fair few quid, desirable enough. Not exactly a slim budget or 'starter kit' kind of lens. An 18-55 VC kit lens for 100 quid is more that kind of thing.

D300 buyers are bargain hunters.

'Expensive' DX specific lens buyers aren't exactly in need of 2008 vintage 12MP crop bodies and won't want to pay for them just to buy a lens, when the same lens can be had elsewhere for much less than the package price you're trying to force on them?

I understand.

I will have a think about what to do.
    Thanks for the help.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I too would split them.

Sell the lens as one item.

Package the rest together as a "Starter Kit" as there are often people looking for a good used kit rather than a new one. The D300 has advantages over the new entry level bodies. I think it was listed as a Pro Body back in the day. As has already been pointed out it can use a wide range of lenses as it's compatible with those without AF Motors. If you can find a cheap kit lens or nifty fifity to stick on the front it would make it a lot more attractive especially with the other "stuff" thrown in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

I can move it to the lens cat if you want, let me know.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

CabanSail wrote: »
    The D300 has advantages over the new entry level bodies. I think it was listed as a Pro Body back in the day.
    my camera is still a D300. i've never seen any reason to upgrade, it's a great piece of kit.

• Advertisement

my camera is still a D300. i've never seen any reason to upgrade, it's a great piece of kit.

There's certainly nothing wrong with a D300. It's certainly better than the D200 and 18-105 kit lens that lives in my car. While I'd occasionally wish I'd brought the D500/D800 and a better lens, it'll do the job for most of those times I just want a camera in my hand and hadn't prepared better.

I think it's more about the fact the D300 has slid down the list a bit due to age that put it into 'bargain hunter' territory now. The wider (internet) marketplace is well supplied with D300/300s bodies now, probably due to folks moving to D500's or full frame bodies in recent years as they've become more affordable and readily available. It's still a very capable camera and I wouldn't like Vectra or anyone else to think I'm saying otherwise.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Yes - It's a really good body. The only reason I changed was to get the ISO performance of the FX sensor on the D800.

Stick a lens on that body and it's a very attractive starter kit.

Advertisement