Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Baldoyle a good place to live?

Options
  • 22-01-2017 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hi there,

I am currently (and have been for some time) in the cruel, unusual and soul-destroying endeavour of trying to buy a house in Dublin. About to hit the one-year anniversary of starting the search (the celebrations will be low-key).

Anyway, after almost but not quite buying a house in Cabra that seemed perfect but had a deal-breaking hidden flaw, I am giving up on the dream of being able to walk to town/work and searching out the Dart line instead.

Have found a great house in Baldoyle (2 minute walk from Bayside Dart station). It's way more house than you could buy with the same money closer to town. However, walked around Baldoyle and Bayside after viewing the house and was struck by (1) a lack of supermarkets (there's a Lidl within walking distance but I dunno how anyone can find everything they need from a grocery shop in Lidl or Aldi) (2) a lack of good shops and restaurants and (3) a lack of any real heart or centre of the community in either Baldoyle or Bayside.

I'm not in any way trying to offend people who are from or live in either area - - they both seem like safe, pleasant areas, if a little sleepy for someone who has lived in Kimmage, Rathmines and Stoneybatter for the past 10 years or so - - I'm just seeking honest local opinions and knowledge on a part of Dublin I know little about.

Finally, when I was there yesterday I could walk from the Baldoyle side of the Dart line south to Bayside via a kind of tunnel under the train line at Bayside station, but it occurred to me that this access might be locked up at night, thereby making it very difficult to move from one side to the other. Can anyone answer this for me?

Any help much appreciated,
    Ciaranis

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I have lived in Baldoyle all my life (21 years) and think it's a good place to live.

You are right about it being a sleepy town, their isn't much in terms of restraunts and pubs. The two pubs aren't vary lively and bar the usual supermarket and post office there isn't much.

What baldoyle has going for is

Public Transport - There's alot of options. Depending where you live, you could be within 10/15 minutes of Clongriffin AND Bayside stations. Which means your not waiting on a specific DART to get home. You can get both north bound darts. The 32, 29A and 102 bus routes serve baldoyle.

It's a safe and quiet place to live. Break ins are rare, and other violence such as shootings don't occur here. If you move here you will always feel safe.

Reasonable prices. Properties here aren't as expensive as Sutton, Howth, Malahide or even places closer to town like Clontarf. There was a 4/5 bed for sale on Grange Road last year for 450K. It was a fine sized house. You can buy 2 bed apartments in Myrtle for less than 200000. Although they sold for 80K at the peak of the downturn.

I would recommend moving here. Yes I taught quiet, but your a quick bus/train journey to lively places such as Howth Malahide and Town, without paying to live there,

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ciaranis

Thanks for that. What are the schools like around there? Also, do you know if they lock the access tunnel at Bayside Dart station at night?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I would recommend moving here. Yes I taught quiet, but your a quick bus/train journey to lively places such as Howth Malahide and Town, without paying to live there,

Stones throw from Dollymout beach and the amazing St Anne's Park.
    I'm not in Bayside myself but very close to it. I'd recommend it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Sunjava

I'd agree with the positive points made by others above. The location is v.convenient, especially with the dart so close by. St fintans/santa sabina/st marys are close by as far as schools go.

Do you mind me asking what was the deal breaking issue that prevented your purchase?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Moved from A&P. Dublin city forum charter applies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I was looking at two houses in the end, one in Cabra, one not far from Baldoyle. So glad I ended up where I did (not Cabra :D). If you're near the DART station it's handier getting in from there than it is from most of Cabra.

Sunjava wrote:
    Do you mind me asking what was the deal breaking issue that prevented your purchase?

It was a boundary issue - the extension overshot the legal boundary by about a foot. This wasn't obvious to us when viewing the house. The surveyor spotted the issue and our solicitor said it was a significant problem and to have a think about it. Something like that could have a seriously detrimental effect on resale value or even make reselling very difficult, so the only sensible option was to walk away. An expensive lesson, for sure, but we are just glad we hired a very good chartered surveyor

I was looking at two houses in the end, one in Cabra, one not far from Baldoyle. So glad I ended up where I did (not Cabra ). If you're near the DART station it's handier getting in from there than it is from most of Cabra.

The Luas cross city will be in Cabra by the end of the year, so I can't say I agree with that opinion in the longer term. Also, town is a very doable walk from much of Cabra, which is clearly not an option from Baldoyle or Bayside. Similarly, taxis to Cabra after a night out will not cost the earth, whereas if you miss the last Dart or bus to Bayside...

athtrasna wrote:
    Moved from A&P. Dublin city forum charter applies

What does this mean?

Ciaranis wrote: »
    What does this mean?

You're now in the Dublin City forum, rather than the Accommodation and Property Forum.

While I don't wish to seem to try and speak for the Mod concerned, you'll find quite a few people have notions, especially about North Dublin, who've possibly never even been there. Moving to a local forum limits people in Sligo commenting on the fact they'd never live in X place in Dublin as they've read a story once about a monkey being hanged.

• Advertisement

While I don't wish to seem to try and speak for the Mod concerned, you'll find quite a few people have notions, especially about North Dublin, who've possibly never even been there. Moving to a local forum limits people in Sligo commenting on the fact they'd never live in X place in Dublin as they've read a story once about a monkey being hanged.

Fair enough. And that monkey was asking for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

The tunnel is not locked. On the odd occasion there might be some kids being a bit anti-social there, but I've not heard of any actual trouble - more bark with no bite.

As for supermarkets, yes there's no big ones in the immediate area, but Donaghmede SC and SuperValu at Sutton Cross are only about a mile away.

Area has a good selection of schools and is good value property-wise.

As for real heart or centre of the community Bayside doesn't have a whole lot but Baldoyle has a good bit more. Baldoyle is a bit spread out it can give the impression of not so much going on but there are plenty of community amenities available if you scratch the surface.

The Luas cross city will be in Cabra by the end of the year, so I can't say I agree with that opinion in the longer term. Also, town is a very doable walk from much of Cabra, which is clearly not an option from Baldoyle or Bayside. Similarly, taxis to Cabra after a night out will not cost the earth, whereas if you miss the last Dart or bus to Bayside...

I used to live in walking distance of Town, about ten minutes from Temple Bar. I'm not kidding when I say I'm quicker getting in from where I am now. Now to be fair I can see the DART station if I look out my window.

There might be €15 in the difference in a taxi, presumably because of the front loading, but it surprised me how cheap taxis are out to the North Dublin 'burbs, it's a fairly good run to be fair especially at night. Of course specifically where in Cabra and specifically where in Baldoyle will make a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Thanks for that. What are the schools like around there? Also, do you know if they lock the access tunnel at Bayside Dart station at night?

I don't know about schools as I went to St Fintans Sutton, and Portmarnock secondary.

I also don't know if they lock the tunnel. The latest I have walked through it is 7pm. Where it has still been open.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Ciaranis wrote:
    Fair enough. And that monkey was asking for it

I heard this was actually Southside :)

Thanks. I'm not too bothered about teenagers trying too hard to impress their friends, more about having guaranteed access from one side of the tracks to the other, even at night...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

while both areas are quiet your not too far from howth which has good restaurants and pubs and good buzz in summer. if you have a car theres a big tesco at clare hall, dunnes in donaghmede or super valu in sutton for shopping.

Well, I said it was way more house than we could afford closer to town. But from an asking price of 350k, it's just gone to 393k. The housing market in Dublin right now is very, very worrying

Indeed. The thing to remember is that asking prices mean nothing in this market. Prepare to pay 30-50k more. Last year it was 10-30k more. The change? Government and Central Bank incompetence

• Advertisement

Well, I dunno - there's no regulation around asking prices, and neither should their be, I went in just expecting to pay more. If your budget is €300K look at houses to €250k. There's limited supply at the moment and all it takes is two interested parties. My own take is there is also still value to be had, just about, if you're willing to think outside the box.

You're dead wrong there. Been searching for a year. There's no value to be had. Dunno where you got the impression I thought there should be regulation around asking prices

You're dead wrong there. Been searching for a year. There's no value to be had. Dunno where you got the impression I thought there should be regulation around asking prices

I'm not quite sure why you're going on the attack. But fair enough I'll bow out. I understand the process is frustrating. I was simply trying to be helpful. I purchased a about 18 months ago and was delighted with what I got. I still keep an eye, specifically the area surrounding where you're looking, and there's the odd little gem that pops up, so keep plugging away.

I wouldn't characterise that as an attack. And a huge amount has changed in the market in 18 months. A huge amount has changed since the turn of the year, in fact. This is a bubble

I wouldn't characterise that as an attack. And a huge amount has changed in the market in 18 months. A huge amount has changed since the turn of the year, in fact. This is a bubble

There are indeed local bubbles but also areas which you can get a reasonable house at money the average Irish couple with no children can afford. (I think that's a fair and neutral way of putting it.)

My mistaken feeling it was an attack came from the way you approached my regulation of prices point. I wasn't trying to counter you, simply say that san regulation the practice will always be, keep the price a bit low as to attract the maximum number of bidders.

Any way my apologies, picked it up wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Did you end up buying in Baldoyle in the end?

Anyone share some light on living in baldoyle and bayside area, near the train station (bayside) is it safe, what’s the area like to live in?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

both areas are fine, not much trouble from teenagers away from the dart station. both are mature areas so no roving gangs of feral kids like some of the new areas nearby

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah we got the train a few times late at night and got off at bayside stop and walked around to see what it was like, just mostly teenagers hanging around but kept to themselves.

We like the area just wanted to make sure it was safe, and as you said the newer estates are pretty bad from what I’ve been hearing.

We had to decide between baldoyle and bayside but both have similar benefits and appear good areas.

neris wrote: »
    both areas are fine, not much trouble from teenagers away from the dart station. both are mature areas so no roving gangs of feral kids like some of the new areas nearby

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Alicano

Hi Bri.. Happy to help if I can?
    I'm born and raised in Bayside. Went to primary school in Bayside. Very good school still and a lot of families from further out pop their kids on list for it. Went to secondary school in Baldoyle (Nessans) Another great school and very modern whilst I was there. Has since got a gym too. The other secondary schools in Baldoyle are good too. Plus you have options in Raheny or Sutton etc.
    I lived in Baldoyle for 5yrs up until 2014 so safe to say I know both areas well.
    There are no hassles safety wise in either place. Baldoyle was a tough place when I was a kid but they've all grown up now. I'd be surprised to hear of any real hassle at all. Two solid mature estates. Teens will hang around but they're just bored and won't say boo to you.
    Regarding centers. Disagree with previous poster. Bayside has a distinct center which is currently under redevelopment. Only 4 ways in to Bayside and it has a natural border between coast and train line and Kilbarrack rd. Baldoyle is more spread out and has a lot more diff estates new and old. I particularly liked the Marion park parts.. nice old two up two down jobs with big gardens. Solid community in Baldoyle. racecourse pub is dire and the shops there also poor. Worst Lidl by a mile. Hopefully plans to fix that though. Sorry for waffle :o
    Both great areas. Bayside would top it for me. It's just quieter, smaller and houses are nicer imo.
    Any specific questions just shoot.

• Advertisement

Hi Alicano,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes we are more swaying towards bayside, we love it and being so close to the sea.

Thatnks for all the assistance and information.

Alicano wrote: »
    Hi Bri.. Happy to help if I can?
    I'm born and raised in Bayside. Went to primary school in Bayside. Very good school still and a lot of families from further out pop their kids on list for it. Went to secondary school in Baldoyle (Nessans) Another great school and very modern whilst I was there. Has since got a gym too. The other secondary schools in Baldoyle are good too. Plus you have options in Raheny or Sutton etc.
    I lived in Baldoyle for 5yrs up until 2014 so safe to say I know both areas well.
    There are no hassles safety wise in either place. Baldoyle was a tough place when I was a kid but they've all grown up now. I'd be surprised to hear of any real hassle at all. Two solid mature estates. Teens will hang around but they're just bored and won't say boo to you.
    Regarding centers. Disagree with previous poster. Bayside has a distinct center which is currently under redevelopment. Only 4 ways in to Bayside and it has a natural border between coast and train line and Kilbarrack rd. Baldoyle is more spread out and has a lot more diff estates new and old. I particularly liked the Marion park parts.. nice old two up two down jobs with big gardens. Solid community in Baldoyle. racecourse pub is dire and the shops there also poor. Worst Lidl by a mile. Hopefully plans to fix that though. Sorry for waffle :o
    Both great areas. Bayside would top it for me. It's just quieter, smaller and houses are nicer imo.
    Any specific questions just shoot.

Advertisement