Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed re:washing machine warranty

Options
  • 22-01-2017 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

This is important as there's 2 pints at stake!

Just replaced a WM for a friend. 2yrs 3mths old (manufacturer 1yr warranty). Another colleague maintains that the machine should be good warranty wise for 6yrs under consumer law. Waffle or not? I said waffle.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

You're buying someone pints. A product is meant to last a reasonable time. 5-6 years would be about right for a washing machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

ken wrote: »
    You're buying someone pints. A product is meant to last a reasonable time. 5-6 years would be about right for a washing machine.

But warranty cover is not the same as life expectancy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

dodzy wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Just replaced a WM for a friend. 2yrs 3mths old (manufacturer 1yr warranty). Another colleague maintains that the machine should be good warranty wise for 6yrs under consumer law. Waffle or not? I said waffle.

Failure in <3years would point to it "not being fit for purpose" and then covered by consumer legislation.
    Not necessarily replacement situation, most probably repair only!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Goods must function for a 'reasonable time'. Reasonable time is not defined - one uses common sense.

Simple contracts are limited by how long you can claim under by the Statute of Limitations (in this case 6 years).

The EU has been a major driving force for consumer rights and they indicated a two year period from purchase would be a reasonable time, Irish law provided for a longer period ergo one assumes that in the case of something like a washing machine it's certainly longer than two years. Anecdotally people seem to see 20% knocked off the value each year after the first year if using the small claims procedure. So a €500 washing machine going wrong after 2 years €400 would be awarded in damages, €300 after 3 years €200 after 4 years etc.

You're both wrong really and probably want to find more interesting pub conversation topics! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

You are confusing warranty (promise by manufacturer) with rights under Sale of Goods and supply of services act (irish legislation.)

The act sets out expectations of performance which eclipse the warranty, and make it redundant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

So lads, it would seem prudent for me to furnish said colleague with aforementioned pints?

So lads, it would seem prudent for me to furnish said colleague with aforementioned pints?

Get the wallet out boyo. And while you are at it, let us know where and you can water us all.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Hi folks,

You're both kinda wrong, but he's more right :)

Warranty has nothing to do with consumer law. But consumer law states that goods should last a reasonable amount of time, and you have up to six years to seek redress.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

dudara wrote: »
    You're both kinda wrong, but he's more right :)

Warranty has nothing to do with consumer law. But consumer law states that goods should last a reasonable amount of time, and you have up to six years to seek redress.

I was kind of hoping you'd pop in D.

I'll get him the drink. Bugger:(

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Get him a non-alcoholic drink :) it's still #dryjanuary

• Advertisement

dudara wrote: »
    Get him a non-alcoholic drink :) it's still #dryjanuary

#dryjanuary? Sap! No such thing. Dont be spreading such nasty ideas please :D:

Advertisement