Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Douglas cinema - any good still?

Options
  • 22-01-2017 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭

Anyone been to Douglas cinema recently? Has the quality improved? There were a couple of old threads here that said it was pretty awful but they're 4/5 years old.

Basically want to go see the Trainspotting sequel on Friday night when it comes out and there isn't even a sniff of a mention of it on the Omniplex website! But Douglas has it listed and can book tickets now etc. So I was just wondering if we should just go there instead....(its handier geographically than any of the other cinemas ... Blackpool etc.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Don't know about Douglas, haven't been in years either.
    Most cinemas start the week on a Friday and it'll be Thursday before the listings are updated. Check mahon on thursday and it should be there then. Can't see it selling out too early, it'll probably be in the imaxx. Friday morning should be loads of time to get a decent seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

It's on its last legs but nothing wrong with it. Always quiet and the popcorn is miles better than Mahon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I was there with the kids recently. It's a bit tatty compared to Mahon and the seats aren't the most comfortable. Screen and sound were fine though.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,948 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Was there yesterday and it was packed!
    Bit tatty and rough around the edges, but cheaper than Mahon.
    Seats are pretty comfortable and Picture/Sound were spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

The general consensus/rumour is that the person who own's it doesn't want to sell it but at the same time won't spend money on any major renovations.

Not as well turned out as Mahon as a previous posted said, but the tickets and food are cheaper. The only reason I would go to Omniplex over Douglas is for a limited release that they wouldn't otherwise show or I missed. Omniplex tends to show films for longer periods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

It's not the best but if you live in Douglas it's a pretty cheap option compared to Mahon.

Better range of snacks in Mahon though plus the popcorn is way nicer (costs more though).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

kingtut wrote: »
    Better range of snacks in Mahon though plus the popcorn is way nicer (costs more though).
    IMO Mahon's popcorn is always cold, stale, and way too salty. But that's just me!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

TheChizler wrote: »
    IMO Mahon's popcorn is always cold, stale, and way too salty. But that's just me!

Can't say I have ever found that but in fairness it's been over 6 months since I have been to the Douglas one so maybe it's improved :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

TheChizler wrote: »

100% agree on the salt, it's disgraceful really. We bring our own now.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Karmella

Thanks for the updates all, will probably go to see it in Douglas alright, as long as the sound & screen are good I'm not too worried about it being tatty, and being in Douglas means we can go for a handy drink before and after and won't have to battle with traffic & parking up at Mahon.

So all good! Really looking forward to this movie!!! The original is one of my all time favourites....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bigbrotherfan

Often, when a new venue opens up, an older venue seems tired and 'last year'. Douglas mightn't be the most plush but if it's convenient, I'd go there. There's nothing wrong with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

I love going to Douglas Cinema. You usually have the place to yourself, parking is free and easy and its usually cheaper than Mahon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I love going to Douglas Cinema. You usually have the place to yourself, parking is free and easy and its usually cheaper than Mahon.

parking is free in Mahon too but not always easy, but yes, you've summed up why I like Douglas too :D

oh BTW: Popcorn is way too salty in Mahon.

Advertisement