Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scutch

Options
  • 22-01-2017 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if I should be worried about this . Is it scutch grass?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Your image isn't showing, to me.

If it is scutch, the roots are all joined together by a long root like a piece of tough string. It spreads underground. The smallest bit can regrow. It is a PEST.
    This "root" is really an underground stem which grows along horizontally, sending up new "leaves" at the little nodes or joints.

If it's any consolation, scutch grows best in rich soil that is high in nitrogen.
    I'm told the roots are edible in conditions of severe famine.
    Feeling better now?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I suspect it is not, though it is hard to tell from the pic. It doesn't really have the growth form of scutch (aka couch grass). I suggest you dig it out as even if it is mowed it will look different. Does it feel very soft to touch?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Qzm7Xb8.jpg
    looksee wrote: »
    I suspect it is not, though it is hard to tell from the pic. It doesn't really have the growth form of scutch (aka couch grass). I suggest you dig it out as even if it is mowed it will look different. Does it feel very soft to touch?

Thanks, I'll do that . More than one patch of it though unfortunately and a big lawn . Just far more noticeable now as whatever it is, it's grown more this winter than its companion grass
    These might be better quality pics
    http://i.imgur.com/zgkQKhA.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/Qzm7Xb8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

You'll have to dig up a bit -- the roots structure will tell all: a mass of fibres, or the distinctive yellowish string-like lines of scutch, leading away into pastures new...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I am pretty sure that is not scutch, for which be grateful! Even if you have to dig out every separate patch it will be easier to get rid of than scutch. Have you a patch of lawn in a quiet corner anywhere that you could lift turves out of to fill the gaps, then just re-seed one area that can grow peacefully without messing up the lawn.

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    I am pretty sure that is not scutch, for which be grateful! Even if you have to dig out every separate patch it will be easier to get rid of than scutch. Have you a patch of lawn in a quiet corner anywhere that you could lift turves out of to fill the gaps, then just re-seed one area that can grow peacefully without messing up the lawn.

Yes , that's plan A
    Plan B was just to buy a roll or 2 and cut to size . But they could look different too

Yes , that's plan A
    Plan B was just to buy a roll or 2 and cut to size . But they could look different too

Dug out a patch today . Harmless thankfully

Advertisement