Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance/car bought date

Options
  • 22-01-2017 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

So i bought myself a car and have been trying to get insured, but because i bought the car over 30 days ago, no company will insure me. What am I meant to do now? Any help welcomed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Er, never heard an issue with that before, but you could just "sell" it to a friend and then "buy" it back again to get a new change of ownership date.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Scouser93

Skatedude wrote: »
    Er, never heard an issue with that before, but you could just "sell" it to a friend and then "buy" it back again to get a new change of ownership date.

Cheers been told that by a few people. Didnt know if it was legal but that seems only option!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Seems odd.
    Did all the companies tell you this was the reason?
    Did you speak to someone on the phone?

biko wrote: »
    Seems odd.
    Did all the companies tell you this was the reason?
    Did you speak to someone on the phone?

Yeah well every company i could find have told me this! Yeah on the phone and they say theres nothing they can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

U are meant to sign a car off the road if not gain insurance and/or tax

If u swap log book around but were already refused by an insurer they ain't gonna simply just ignore that info.
    Changing logbbook could also be view that trying to defraud tax office of revenue thus frowned upon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

cplwhisper wrote: »

If u swap log book around but were already refused by an insurer they ain't gonna simply just ignore that info.
    Changing logbbook could also be view that trying to defraud tax office of revenue thus frowned upon

Can't declare a car off the road unless it's taxed at the time, and you need insurance to tax it.

Skatedude wrote: »
    Can't declare a car off the road unless it's taxed at the time, and you need insurance to tax it.

Thanks, and I wasnt planning on waiting so long to get insured. I was told the minimum you can declare it off the road for is 3 months. I'm not doing that

cplwhisper wrote: »

thanks i'm not defrauding anyone i just want to drive the car i worked hard for!

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Your best bet is contact a company you got quotes off when car was bought, be it 30+ days ago.. explain that you have been saving since for €€ for rate given. The T/Leader can review the call to clarify if he/she felt you were genuine interested in going ahead and they can fimecide if a Gap letter is sufficient as the SORN can't be requested on live taxed cars

Good luck with same

Advertisement