Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chains

Options
  • 22-01-2017 6:50pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Any recommendations for an 11 speed ultegra set up? In need of a replacement and I have a new cassette waiting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I found the kmc chain noisy and went back to the Ultegra chain. I have kmc on my 10spd tiagra bike and its perfect but wasn't happy with the 11spd chain.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

wonder what the difference between the 11 and 10 speed was to cause the noise?

IN terms of length are they standard?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Bike came with Ultegra chain, first replacement was KMC which didn't last particularly long though mostly my fault for not cleaning properly with salty grit on roads. KMC was fine while it lasted, but their 11 speed quick links are difficult to get on (tool supposedly required but you can do it with some elbow grease). I'm a bit hard on chains going off road often enough, so this time bought a couple of low end SRAMs purely because they're cheap and no point spending money on a part that isn't going to last anyway. First spin on it today, shifting is fine and feels no different to the KMC. Quick link is also much easier to fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

KMC chains on my Campy 11sp set up.
    Wiped down/washed and re-lubed with Fenwicks wet weather lube.
    Find it faultless and quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

godtabh wrote: »
    wonder what the difference between the 11 and 10 speed was to cause the noise?

IN terms of length are they standard?

No idea why TBH but there was a noticeable increase in noise from the Ultegra chain I had on before hand.

Length wide they're all identical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭clog

Bling it up with one of these wippermann chains. Great quality and the quicklink design is excellent.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/wippermann-connex-11sb-chain/rp-prod147134

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I usually stick a Dura Ace and/or Ultegra chain on a wishlist on CRC/Wiggle and pull the trigger when it gets discounted. I've been using then for a few years and they're silent and shift slick.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

How often should a chain be changed ?
    Probably about 5k on mine but regularly cleaned and lubed .

What's the difference between 114 and 116 links?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

What's the difference between 114 and 116 links?

2 links

moonshadow wrote: »
    How often should a chain be changed ?
    Probably about 5k on mine but regularly cleaned and lubed .
    The problem is although the chain maybe fine but you have worn the cassette in tandem with that chain so when you change (which will be very very soon at 5k) you will have to change your cassette as well as a new chain wont sit well on the worn sprockets!

nee wrote: »
    2 links

That's that cleared up so!

I think the longer chain is for compact/dinner plate gearing!

koutoubia wrote: »
    I think the longer chain is for compact/dinner plate gearing!

Don't have a dinner plate just yet!

YET.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

That's it so....new groupset so......ultegra here we come!

moonshadow wrote: »
    That's it so....new groupset so......ultegra here we come!

That boat has sailed.

Think I'll buy s cheap chain and s good one and see what does more miles

At 5k you may have worn out your frame as well!
    No point in buying a new gruppo and putting it on a worn out frame

That boat has sailed.

Think I'll buy s cheap chain and s good one and see what does more miles

I went for an SRAM 1130 and an SRAM 1170 from Evans as PX were sold out, the cheaper 1130 is on now and seems fine. Both are 114 link, which is what I'd cut my last KMC chain down to anyway so all good there. I'm running 50/34 and 11/32 on a 56cm top tube Rose CX bike. I assume apart from dinner plates, triples, etc... you could longer chains for bigger frames.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/ie/en/kmc-x11sl-dlc-11-speed-chain/rp-prod120628

If you want "diamond durability" then this is your chain...

Wonder will some newspaper ever do a sting on cycling industry executives laughing at cyclists..

Durability will have everything to do with care/use of chain (there is quite a few variables there) and next to sfa to do with chain type.

I've tried kmc,sram, shimano etc and chain life was about 5k km with them all. I changed to a proper lube and have nearly doubled that. Never remove or clean chain except with an old rag ever 300km or so.

Haven't paid more than €15 for a chain in about 5 years

ford2600 wrote: »
    I've tried kmc,sram, shimano etc and chain life was about 5k km with them all. I changed to a proper lube and have nearly doubled that. Never remove or clean chain except with an old rag ever 300km or so.

Name that lube so, I reckon I could be doing with some of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

smacl wrote: »
    Name that lube so, I reckon I could be doing with some of it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=100165885&postcount=16

I'd imagine there are similar lubes which work as well, pro link gold etc.

No need for chain cleaners, solvent removing chain etc. One bottle and old rags and your done

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

No need for chain cleaners, solvent removing chain etc. One bottle and old rags and your done

Think this http://road.cc/content/review/178866-rock-%E2%80%99n%E2%80%99-roll-extreme-chain-lubricant was missing from your linked post.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've dispensed with chains altogether. really helps you focus more on enjoying the countryside around you, and is great for those who like to spin at high cadence.

Sounds good, just ordered up a bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

i've dispensed with chains altogether. really helps you focus more on enjoying the countryside around you, and is great for those who like to spin at high cadence.

What you need is a good belt.

crosstownk wrote: »
    What you need is a good belt.

Ikea are selling bikes with belts. Not for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Rather than start a new thread...
    What route did you go down Godtabh??
    I only put on a 116 link Shimano HG/701 11 speed s/tec chain on in April and its fairly worn looking now (just under 4500km on it)
    Im near sure I got 10,000km out of the last one....
    Would a dura ace chain be a better buy as i do a lot of climbing....would it work okay with an Ultegra 6800 cassette??
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/shimano-dura-ace-xtr-hg901-11sp-sil-tec-chain/rp-prod119825

Considering changing to a 53/39 or super compact set up...other than the cage length on the rear derailleur does the chain stay the same length??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭nordicb

Used KMC only chains previously without any issue, they work, but found SL Silver one to be very noisy and rough. Really liking the Ultegra chain. Even looking at it, you may see how much more engineering went into it, it's beautiful.

Advertisement