Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chains

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Rather than start a new thread...
    What route did you go down Godtabh??
    I only put on a 116 link Shimano HG/701 11 speed s/tec chain on in April and its fairly worn looking now (just under 4500km on it)
    Im near sure I got 10,000km out of the last one....
    Would a dura ace chain be a better buy as i do a lot of climbing....would it work okay with an Ultegra 6800 cassette??
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/shimano-dura-ace-xtr-hg901-11sp-sil-tec-chain/rp-prod119825

Considering changing to a 53/39 or super compact set up...other than the cage length on the rear derailleur does the chain stay the same length??
    A Dura Ace chain will work fine with a 6800 (and 5800 or any Shimano 11s) cassette. You'll find little or no difference in wear/durability.

I'd say there's little or no difference between 5800 vs 6800 chains. The Dura Ace chain is marginally lighter as the pins are hollow which may help on your climbs ;):D

I use both Ultegra and Dura Ace chains most of the time. I buy whichever depending on the price. They both wear at similar rates. I usually get around 5,000km out of them and that's with regular cleaning.

Lots of people prefer the KMC chains - I've never used them so can't comment but they may be worth considering. KMC have quick links for easier removal/installation although I saw somewhere that Shimano now have quick links but I can't remember where I saw that (maybe I was dreaming :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

:) You should see me climb!! Graceful and majestic is far from the terms I would use I'm somewhere between Contador and Stone cold Steve Austin wrestling a bike uphill....:eek:
    Mind you I did pass you on the wall one day some time back ;):D
    6800 ordered I suppose its all good given Ive been out on the steed a lot more this year....
    The question is will I be able for 53/39.....

Advertisement