Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric cooker not heating

Options
  • 22-01-2017 8:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

My electric cooker died, just stopped heating.Both the fan oven and hot plate How can i tell oif it is a fuse? Do you still replace fuses or just turn the switch back if it has tripped? It has not tripped as far as i can tell. On the wall besided the cookler is switch that controls power to the cooker. That is lit

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,098 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

My electric cooker died, just stopped heating.Both the fan ovrn and hot plate How can i tell oif it is a fuse? Do you still replace fuses or just turn the switch back if it has tripped? It has not tripped as far as i can tell. On the wall besided the cookler is switch that controls power to the cooker. That is lit

If nothing at all is happening with the cooker it's most likely not getting 230v. An electrician would test this with a multi meter. Hard to say without being there and testing it but there's a strong chance that the switch needs replacing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭jenny smith

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    If nothing at all is happening with the cooker it's most likely not getting 230v. An electrician would test this with a multi meter. Hard to say without being there and testing it but there's a strong chance that the switch needs replacing.
    which switch? There is a switch like this on the wall. It is on and lit. You mean it may not be sending 230v even if on? Cooker just went dead when it was cooking so the oven and hotplates were in use when it happened

on the wall. It is on and lit. You mean it may not be sending 230v even if on? Cooker just went dead when it was cooking so the oven and hotplates were in use when it happened

Just because the light is on doesn't mean it's getting or sending 230v. It could even be the trip switch at the fuse box. This can fail in the on position.
    Best bet is call your local electrician.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Just because the light is on doesn't mean it's getting or sending 230v. It could even be the trip switch at the fuse box. This can fail in the on position.
    Best bet is call your local electrician.
    Thanks. is there no changing fuses now? Is it just putting back the trip switch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Stravos Murphy

An appliance repair person would be a better person to call out. They would be suitably competent to change the switch if it's the fault.

• Advertisement

An appliance repair person would be a better person to call out. They would be suitably competent to change the switch if it's the fault.

But they won't be able to replace the trip switch at the fuse box if needed. Only a REC can do this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Stravos Murphy

Most rec have no training in appliance repair. To say the neon is working on the switch would point it towards the appliance. A mcb fault would be unlikely in my opinion.

I was away yesterday and did not get chance to call anyone. But today it works again?.Do they overheat? What could cause this?

Most rec have no training in appliance repair. To say the neon is working on the switch would point it towards the appliance. A mcb fault would be unlikely in my opinion.

I respectfully disagree. A neon on the switch suggests its getting a volt or two & that's all it's telling you.
    I took driving lessons over 30 years ago. Instructor pointed to the car in front indicator on the right flashing. What does that tell you he asks. Oh it tells me he's turning right. No he says. It tells you that his indicator is working. No more & no less. The guy then turns left. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

If the neon is lighting and stays lighting with something on the cooker switched on, it's likely the problem is at or after the switch.

• Advertisement

Bruthal wrote: »
    If the neon is lighting and stays lighting with something on the cooker switched on, it's likely the problem is at or after the switch.
    what problem mean no heat sunday but heat today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

what problem mean no heat sunday but heat today?

A bad/loose connection at the switch or cooker itself is a good possibility.

It could also be at the MCB board but not usually if the switch indicator light remained lighting while the cooker wouldnt heat.

Bruthal wrote: »
    A bad/loose connection at the switch or cooker itself is a good possibility.

It could also be at the MCB board but not usually if the switch indicator light remained lighting while the cooker wouldnt heat.
    the led light that comes on when the oven is turned was flashing briefly and then going off off at one point

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

the led light that comes on when the oven is turned was flashing briefly and then going off off at one point

You should get an electrician to look at this asap. If it is a loose connection it is a fire hazard especially in the case of an electric cooker which draws a higher current than other appliances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭icjzfmq7ewon1t

Serious potential fire hazard turn it of at the fuse board and have an electrician check it out. Electricity is not something to be careless about.

Serious potential fire hazard turn it of at the fuse board and have an electrician check it out. Electricity is not something to be careless about.
    you mean manually trip the switch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭icjzfmq7ewon1t

you mean manually trip the switch?

Yeah the one for the cooker

Advertisement