Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incorrect years on no claims bonus

Options
  • 23-01-2017 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I recently got issued my renewal with no claims bonus. The no claims bonus on it said 1 year. Last year I sent in the no claims bonus from my previous insurer which was 7 years.

I have asked for a re-issue of the no claims bonus with 8 years and have not yet received it, despite having no claims in the last year. My current insurer won't accept the 2 no claims bonus documents (last years and this).
    What are my options here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Skud wrote: »
    Hi all,

I recently got issued my renewal with no claims bonus. The no claims bonus on it said 1 year. Last year I sent in the no claims bonus from my previous insurer which was 7 years.

I have asked for a re-issue of the no claims bonus with 8 years and have not yet received it, despite having no claims in the last year. My current insurer won't accept the 2 no claims bonus documents (last years and this).
    What are my options here?

Your new insurer are being difficult.

Its standard industry practice that an insurer will only verify the number of years you are with them but you still get the max point on scale.

Ie, I move to insurer X with a 5 year bonus, I leave them two years later having made no claims. The letter will say 2 years claims free but the point on the ncd scale I'm being allowed is 50%.

There should be something on the ncd letter which states the actual years claims free may not match the point on scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

Thanks for the reply.

The ncd letter did not include the actual years either. I understand this is incorrect?

Thanks for the reply.

The ncd letter did not include the actual years either. I understand this is incorrect?

It should read something to the effect of

"This policy has been in force from x to y"

"Number of years claims free under this policy : x years"

"Point on scale : 50% / 5 years or more"

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Who is ur insurer ?

The insurer was An Post / One Direct.

• Advertisement

Rod Munch wrote: »
    It should read something to the effect of

"This policy has been in force from x to y"

"Number of years claims free under this policy : x years"

"Point on scale : 50% / 5 years or more"

This is what it says: https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/837/407245.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

you're at stage 6 on the scale,maximum, the 1 year is your time with that company.

KC161 wrote: »
    you're at stage 6 on the scale,maximum, the 1 year is your time with that company.

Thanks, but this is the form I'm going to send my new insurer. Can I get a reissued no claims bonus with the 8 years or how does it work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Thanks, but this is the form I'm going to send my new insurer. Can I get a reissued no claims bonus with the 8 years or how does it work?

There is a guy on boards under the name 'Rod Munch' he works in the insurance industry.

He is your man for any queries you may have.

I wouldn't think so.

The letter you were issued is exactly as I described and is the same type of letter that afaik every insurer will issue.

You last insurer are not going to guarantee you were claims free for the period up to when you joined them because they cannot prove it.

For example, you could have been involved in a hit and run just before you joined them that's only now coming to light, they would potentially expose themselves by verifying incorrect information.

Who is the new insurer?

I'd be surprised if its an established company like Allianz, Axa , Aviva etc as the letter you got is stock standard and has been for years.

• Advertisement

Rod Munch wrote: »
    I wouldn't think so.

The letter you were issued is exactly as I described and is the same type of letter that afaik every insurer will issue.

You last insurer are not going to guarantee you were claims free for the period up to when you joined them because they cannot prove it.

For example, you could have been involved in a hit and run just before you joined them that's only now coming to light, they would potentially expose themselves by verifying incorrect information.

Who is the new insurer?

I'd be surprised if its an established company like Allianz, Axa , Aviva etc as the letter you got is stock standard and has been for years.

The new insurer is the AA.

The new insurer is the AA.

The AA are a brokers and also have a massive turnover in staff.

It's most likely you are dealing with an inexperienced agent. Ring back today and as to speak to a TL / manager.

There shouldn't be any issue tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

That's 6yrs all day long to experienced staff, Rod Munch understands too

As you have the max that is b looking for then main insurers like AXA / FBD / even Aviva Direct wouldn't question it.

If at inception with Aviva/One Ditect (now known as AN POST where given a 7yr NCB by your prior insurer then u have every right to pursue for correct year recognition

Normally only new to market UWR are awkward from what I experience daily

Advertisement