Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smog

Options
  • 23-01-2017 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭

Anybody else finding it a bit tight on the chest the last month or so. i am in town and I find it particularly bad in the town centre, I went for a walk along the river recently and had to turn back.

I don't smoke but I have something like a smokers cough in the mornings. I seen people who look to be east Asian (Chinese) wearing masks recently. The crackdown on smoky coal seems to have worked in part as I don't see as much black smoke coming from chimneys. I wonder what part does traffic have to play, particularly diesel emissions, as conditions don't always appear to be smoggy when I feel the effects and week days seem to be worse than weekends.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Anybody else finding it a bit tight on the chest the last month or so. i am in town and I find it particularly bad in the town centre, I went for a walk along the river recently and had to turn back.

I don't smoke but I have something like a smokers cough in the mornings. I seen people who look to be east Asian (Chinese) wearing masks recently. The crackdown on smoky coal seems to have worked in part as I don't see as much black smoke coming from chimneys. I wonder what part does traffic have to play, particularly diesel emissions, as conditions don't always appear to be smoggy when I feel the effects and week days seem to be worse than weekends.

Same every winter. More fires lit, more smoke etc....... I live in town too, and you couldn't go for a run in my estate at 6 in the evening when everyone are lighting their fires.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr Devious

Same every winter. More fires lit, more smoke etc....... I live in town too, and you couldn't go for a run in my estate at 6 in the evening when everyone are lighting their fires.
    Jaysus, listening to the pair of ye, you'd think ye were living in Beijing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

I agree 100% with what both of you are saying.
    It's got really bad in town. There's no enjoyment in going out for a walk in the evenings and your clothes absolutely reek of smoke.
    I'm convinced that people are definitely not using smokeless fuel. I'm pretty sure that it must be illegal to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

there hasn't been an awful lot of wind in the last while which wouldn't help with any particulates that are in the air

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭T-Bird

It's fantastic news to know that the smokeless coal only is working and that the council are regulating and enforcing it........ Not!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

johnire wrote: »
    I agree 100% with what both of you are saying.
    It's got really bad in town. There's no enjoyment in going out for a walk in the evenings and your clothes absolutely reek of smoke.
    I'm convinced that people are definitely not using smokeless fuel. I'm pretty sure that it must be illegal to do that.

They're not and it is

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

It has been a funny cold weather lately so I suppose it doesn't help things

Advertisement