Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Races as part of small Hen Party-Good/Bad Idea?.....Help

Options
  • 23-01-2017 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi All,

Im having a very small Hen weekend for my sister in Aug, Its one of 3, work is a seperate wider hen and another more local night at the dogs for a large mixed group of young/old, inlaws/outlaws etc so Im just planning an kind of pamper weekend for the 5 ladies in our immediate family.

The idea was to go to the eve race meet of galway races on Fri Aug 4th 17' and a spa morning on the sat, light lunch/shopping and vintage afternnon tea, meal and night out in the evening......

My other sister is concerned that the weekend of the races in Galway is not going to be a comfortable affair in the city (she went to college in galway 15years ago) shes imagining people puking and falling around the streets during the day and lots of fights/rowdy drunks thronging the streets day and night! Obviously its expected that it would be busy but shes imagining it will be impossible to get into a pub/club or get a drink.........

Personally i just liked the idea of dressing up and incorporating the races in for something different, but i dont know if my other sisters thoughs are a reality or not so i would appreciate any advice/opinions from anyone with experience.

Also if we were to go a different weekend when races are not on, if anyone has any other idea of a great Friday evening activity instead of races i would be grateful for suggestions, (not cocktail making, done this)

If we are going to have the races incorporated i need to book asap as not much accommodation available

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I would advise against it because of the cost. Accommodation is ridiculous at that time of year in Galway and if she's having three hens it will all add up. Unless money isn't an issue pick another weekend or another city. The races are nothing special tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Also the main day for dressing up is Thursday, ladies day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

I am thinking of the escape rooms in Galway as the activity for my hen party- would any of you recommend this? Id stay clear the weekend of the Galway races too

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I've heard the Escape Rooms in Dublin are great, so I'd assume the same of the Galway ones. Also look at Boda Borg, it's in Lough Key Forest Park- it's AWESOME. It's properly like The Crystal Maze!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

I think I'd have to really consider how much I liked the bride if the Hen was at the Galway races.... It's massively expensive and basically just a piss up.

Galway is good fun year round, you could go any other weekend, have much better choice of accommodation and still have a fun night out.

As someone else pointed out, the main day for dressing up is Thursday anyway, so while there'd be nothing stopping you dressing up on Friday, I'm not sure there'd be a huge point. Shop street and Eyre Sq will be very rowdy and the bars will be packed.

Since its a small group why don't you just canvas opinion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,886 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

By Friday of race week most of the madness has subsided, so i think it'd be fine if thats what the party want to do.

Wouldn't try any earlier in the week though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,426 ✭✭✭✭fits

You could go to Dublin horse show. The agakhan cup would be on Friday and it's a great day out. Not in evening though. You'd need to take afternoon off. It starts at 2 pm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

I have been to the Friday of the Galway races and it is no where near as crazy as the Wed or the Thurs though it's still good fun and lots of people dress up. I think it would be grea fun for a hen, only issue might be finding accommodation

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

solerina wrote: »
    I have been to the Friday of the Galway races and it is no where near as crazy as the Wed or the Thurs though it's still good fun and lots of people dress up. I think it would be grea fun for a hen, only issue might be finding accommodation
    I'd agree with this...personally I'd love it but it will still be busy enough so it really depends on the group .

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I'd avoid it, to be honest. Everything is more expensive that week. You could go to a different race meeting during the summer , if that's what you want. The Curragh/Leopardstown for example. The other thing is that horse racing mightn't be a hit with everyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

I'd avoid it, to be honest. Everything is more expensive that week. You could go to a different race meeting during the summer , if that's what you want. The Curragh/Leopardstown for example. The other thing is that horse racing mightn't be a hit with everyone else.

To be honest the horse racing is really usually just a background distraction, I have been on a hen at the races and we didn't really watch too many races, we had loads of bubbly, one or two bets but really it was just a very dressy fun day out !!

Advertisement