Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belle and Sebastian, Iveagh Gardens, July 20th

Options
  • 23-01-2017 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭

Announced this morning.
    Tickets on sale next Monday, January 30th.
    Tickets €45, according to Aiken.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Great news for a cold Monday morning in January. I've loved them ever since first hearing Century of Fakers way back when on No Disco and can't fecking wait for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I wonder if there's any chance that they'll play the Galway Arts festival? It'll be on at the same time & they always get some big names. I've checked their website and the next gig after Dublin is on 29th in USA so there's space....

I'll get a ticket for Dublin gig just in case they don't play Galway.

Here's to hoping,
    Patrick.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Noise Annoys

Great news. That is the best possible outdoor venue - small(ish), city centre, decent sound, no queues for the bar, and a lovely setting.

Haven't seen them in about three years, this will be my ninth B&S gig. Really looking forward to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Great news. That is the best possible outdoor venue - small(ish), city centre, decent sound, no queues for the bar, and a lovely setting.

Haven't seen them in about three years, this will be my ninth B&S gig. Really looking forward to it!

Too many chatty fcukers anytime I've been there.

Saw them at Primavera last year, they were amazing.

So I'm conflicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Would prefer indoor but it's years since I've seen them (Olympia '99 I think) so this is a must for me. It'sll hardly sellout on monday?

• Advertisement

Birneybau wrote: »
    Too many chatty fcukers anytime I've been there.

Saw them at Primavera last year, they were amazing.

So I'm conflicted.

You can usually get up the front quite easily from the sides where there are less casual punters, so I'd say it'd be worth your while.

You can usually get up the front quite easily from the sides where there are less casual punters, so I'd say it'd be worth your while.

Was up front and left for Wilco in the summer, great crowd and sound I thought.

sweetie wrote: »
    Would prefer indoor but it's years since I've seen them (Olympia '99 I think) so this is a must for me. It'sll hardly sellout on monday?

I remember that gig, with the infamous incident where Stuart Murdoch smashed his acoustic guitar up on stage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Blooming Thursday, ugh! Any chance of a 2nd show elsewhere in the country?

Blooming Thursday, ugh! Any chance of a 2nd show elsewhere in the country?

Of anywhere probably Galway Arts Festival (pure guess)

• Advertisement

That would be ideal. Big gigs on a school night, so inconsiderate for us non Dubs!

I remember that gig, with the infamous incident where Stuart Murdoch smashed his acoustic guitar up on stage!

yeah, he wasn't in the best of form

Ticketmaster says 18:30 (that's probably doors open?), Aldous Harding is supporting. Any idea what time B&S would be onstage?

Thanks,
    Pa.

dinneenp wrote: »
    Ticketmaster says 18:30 (that's probably doors open?), Aldous Harding is supporting. Any idea what time B&S would be onstage?

Thanks,
    Pa.

hardly any earlier than 9 but i'd be there for 8.30 at least.

Hi,

I have 1 ticket for sale. Value €51.65 (with booking fees), will sell for €40. link to my Toutless post.

Cheers,
    Pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Thinking of heading to this. I know very little Belle & Sebastian. But I missed Future Islands last week cause I was on hols. Really need a gig buzz to get over the disappointment.

I like their sound, but for some reason they always just got away from me. Bought one album one time – If you’re feelin sinister.
    It is quite good. Their albums are quite mellow. Would their gigs be a bit “rockier” than their albums. Doesn’t have to be moshing type like the Pixies in Iveagh gardens last year. I suppose the question is – could one enjoy the gig, without knowing much of the material. Some of it sounds quite samey at first.
    Plan is to cycle in for bit after 8.30 and hopefully pick up a ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Thinking of heading to this. I know very little Belle & Sebastian. But I missed Future Islands last week cause I was on hols. Really need a gig buzz to get over the disappointment.

I like their sound, but for some reason they always just got away from me. Bought one album one time – If you’re feelin sinister.
    It is quite good. Their albums are quite mellow. Would their gigs be a bit “rockier” than their albums. Doesn’t have to be moshing type like the Pixies in Iveagh gardens last year. I suppose the question is – could one enjoy the gig, without knowing much of the material. Some of it sounds quite samey at first.
    Plan is to cycle in for bit after 8.30 and hopefully pick up a ticket.

Going to the gig myself and I'm in the same boat as yourself. My younger brother is the big fan and offered me a free ticket, couldn't turn it down. I heard some stuff from their earlier albums. Looking at one of their recent gigs, they go from quiet moments to some that get that fans bouncing about. I read up that they can be quite hit and miss Live, depending on how up for it the band are. If the material is good and the band is a great live act, I think you could enjoy the gig.

Bit of heads up for anyone going to the gig, support act Aldous Harding has pulled out cause of illness and has been replaced by Jealous of The Birds.

Times on Stage

6:30 Gates Open
    7:30 Jealous of The Birds
    8:45 Belle and Sebastian

1 ticket for sale, €20 . E-ticket. Post on toutless.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Terrific stuff. I was up the front, so I've no idea how full the place was further back, but it seemed a decent crowd. A very diverse setlist, 'cos they're not plugging an album this time around. Most albums were represented, including five songs from If You're Feeling Sinister. I think even casual fans, or those those who drifted away after, say, The Life Pursuit, would not have felt short-changed.

Act of the Apostle
    I'm A Cuckoo
    Seeing Other People
    She's Losing It
    Another Sunny Day
    Sweet Dew Lee
    Sukie in the Graveyard
    Piazza, New York Catcher
    Stars of Track and Field
    Like Dylan in the Movies
    Play for Today
    Love is in the Air (Stevie impromptu)
    Little Lou, Ugly Jack, Prophet John
    I Didn't See It Coming
    The Boy with the Arab Strap
    Legal Man
    Judy and the Dream of Horses

The Party Line
    Get Me Away from Here, I'm Dying

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

What a gig!

• Advertisement

Looks like a fantastic set list. Gutted this was on a Thursday, and 2 days before U2! Was really hoping a second date out west or in cork would be announced :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Terrific stuff. I was up the front, so I've no idea how full the place was further back, but it seemed a decent crowd.

Where you one of the fans pulled up stage near the end. Wasn't a fan of Belle And Sebastian before this gig, but I enjoyed it and loved their little chats between songs especially during The Boy with the Arab Strap when one of the fans was thanking her mates lol . The biggest reaction of the night was for Love is in the Air. Stand out for me was I Didn't See it Coming.

Was standing at the back. It wasn't full to be honest (doubt it was a sell out), a lot of space especially mid way through the gig at the back and a lot of folks chatting which was bloody annoying. But the lack of Camera phone's been used was nice and it was a much older crowd too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Looper007 wrote: »
    Where you one of the fans pulled up stage near the end? ... a lot of folks chatting which was bloody annoying. But the lack of camera phones being used was nice and it was a much older crowd too.

No, I was on the barrier, but I wasn't gunning for a spot on stage. A girl beside me was brought up, and she had been seriously angling for it. I think the Iveagh Gardens has a reputation for chatty audiences. The further back you are, the worse it is. This has been discussed on other threads recently about other shows there. Even though I was up the front, I was also aware that there wasn't a sea of camera phones being held aloft, which, as you say, was refreshing.
    I also thought I Didn't See It Coming was a standout, but Sarah could sing the phone book, as far as I'm concerned.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Fantastic gig, loved the play list with a good mix of old favourites from the earlier albums. My daughter was one of the ones who made it onto the stage and was absolutely chuffed. Go Disco Shark! ;)

422934.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Loved it, best Belle & Sebastian show I've seen. Great mix of tunes and brilliant performance.

Advertisement