Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Church in Kilkenny.....not in the city

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭cargo

Isle in Clara is narrow according to this photo and again there doesn't seem to be room to push back the seating.

https://goo.gl/images/IEJDGK

Now I may have kept the best until last..... I knew about this one all along but i thought it might be a bit far and something nearer would come up but it's not looking like it.

The church out in Tullaroan has always had a fairly modern design and the last refurb has kept the isle fairly wide. It's the widest I know of.

Here's Some good photos of it from the architects that did the refurb. Also so long as the pews are not screwed down they can be pushed back on both sides to make the isle even wider.

http://ddaarchitects.wix.com/duignan-dooley-architects#!tullaroan-church

and a few photos from a wedding photographer with people in it to judge scale.

http://www.couple.ie/2015/09/paula-garrett-kilkenny-river-court-hotel/

Downside, it's about 20 mins drive from town.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

I think Gowran church is out too I'm afraid. It has pillars and heaters at the other side of the opening to the seats I'm afraid. Best of luck with finding a different church.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

cargo wrote: »
    Isle in Clara is narrow according to this photo and again there doesn't seem to be room to push back the seating.

https://goo.gl/images/IEJDGK

Now I may have kept the best until last..... I knew about this one all along but i thought it might be a bit far and something nearer would come up but it's not looking like it.

The church out in Tullaroan has always had a fairly modern design and the last refurb has kept the isle fairly wide. It's the widest I know of.

Here's Some good photos of it from the architects that did the refurb. Also so long as the pews are not screwed down they can be pushed back on both sides to make the isle even wider.

http://ddaarchitects.wix.com/duignan-dooley-architects#!tullaroan-church

and a few photos from a wedding photographer with people in it to judge scale.

http://www.couple.ie/2015/09/paula-garrett-kilkenny-river-court-hotel/

Downside, it's about 20 mins drive from town.

No photos of s church there? Just the link to the website's home page???

• Administrators Posts: 14,034 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

There are photos in the gallery section. Lots of Thumbnails. Scroll down to the one that looks like the aisle and altar of a church!!

There are photos in the gallery section. Lots of Thumbnails. Scroll down to the one that looks like the aisle and altar of a church!!

Confused.com??? Can't see photos of a church?

• Advertisement

A jaysus Mickey!! What sort of internet connection/browser are you using. First you couldn't see the church through Google Maps, now you can't see photos on the architects website in the "Gallery" section? Did you look at the link to the photographers site. That shows people walking down the aisle (and a few other photos)

I'm not being funny here, but your whole thread has been dismissive of many suggestions and wanting posters to take you by the hand and guide you to other suggestions. I appreciate that your needs are specific but that is where you might be better off speaking to a priest, any priest, from the diocese. So that face to face you can lay out what your specific requirements are and he can then direct you to a suitable church.

Mooncoin, 30 mins away or Tullaroan 20 mins away seem to be two sound suggestions. Maybe you should take a spin out to each of them some day to get a better idea yourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 KT Blotter

Definitely duiske abbey graignamanagh

Copy and Paste this link to see how wide the aisle is.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graiguenamanagh#/media/File:Graiguenamanagh_Nave_1997_08_27.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

A jaysus Mickey!! What sort of internet connection/browser are you using. First you couldn't see the church through Google Maps, now you can't see photos on the architects website in the "Gallery" section? Did you look at the link to the photographers site. That shows people walking down the aisle (and a few other photos)

I'm not being funny here, but your whole thread has been dismissive of many suggestions and wanting posters to take you by the hand and guide you to other suggestions. I appreciate that your needs are specific but that is where you might be better off speaking to a priest, any priest, from the diocese. So that face to face you can lay out what your specific requirements are and he can then direct you to a suitable church.

Mooncoin, 30 mins away or Tullaroan 20 mins away seem to be two sound suggestions. Maybe you should take a spin out to each of them some day to get a better idea yourselves.

Glad I wasn't the only one reading and thinking that...and not very grateful for any helpful suggestions offered either.

Clara church is small. My daughter sang for a wedding there so I had a good look at it. I don't think you'd get two wheelchairs down the aisle side by side.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clara,_County_Kilkenny#/media/File:Clara_church_-_geograph.org.uk_-_433187.jpg

Here it is on google maps - sorry bout the mega long link. Ha! That's odd - it shortened itself.

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Clara+Cars/@52.6442083,-7.152026,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sQj2LlXl6u-BB88BBHrEK8A!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo3.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DQj2LlXl6u-BB88BBHrEK8A%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D58.686405%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656!4m5!3m4!1s0x485d382cce3dfebf:0xbc8f156d53ed18d8!8m2!3d52.6463892!4d-7.1442224!6m1!1e1?hl=en

If you drive out the Dublin/Carlow old main road from Kilkenny, it's the immediate turn on the right just at the Fox & Goose pub (closed down now).

Found the Fox & Goose pub on Google Maps, and know which church you're talking about now. Apologies for not sounding grateful - I am.

The church is at the end of the road after you turn right at the old Fox & Goose pub

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭cargo

Jaysus Mickey we'll all end up adding the first part of your username to our own before this thread comes to an end :-)

Anyway if you want to send me a private message (click on my username and you'll see the option to do it from the dropdown) and give me an email address I'll send through the photos from the links above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭screamer

I've worked in many churches in Kilkenny.

Foulkstown is very popular, but yes, the aisle is narrow.
    The church in Gowran has a wider aisle for sure, not massive, but Gowran is a bit of a treck.
    St. John's is a massive, massive church you'd want a large crowd for it to feel in any way cosy. St Mary's is bigger again, and TBH although from a historical point of view is beautiful, it's very dark inside.
    Lastly, you could look at st canices church, not the cathedral. It is bright inside and has a lovely wide aisle. Here you can see it: http://stcanicesparish.ie/?page_id=3&title=our-parish

I am sure I have pictures of the churches here from working in them, so if you can't find them online, message me and I can send them on.

Gowran is less than 15 mins away! If the poster doesn't want a city church, with a wide aisle he's going to have to be prepared to travel a little bit. I wouldn't consider 15 mins a trek!! I wouldn't consider 30 mins a trek. People get married around the county all the time and travel to the city for their hotel with no hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭screamer

Gowran is less than 15 mins away! If the poster doesn't want a city church, with a wide aisle he's going to have to be prepared to travel a little bit. I wouldn't consider 15 mins a trek!! I wouldn't consider 30 mins a trek. People get married around the county all the time and travel to the city for their hotel with no hassle.

Gowran is a bit of a trek compared to churches in the city that are closer to Lyrath.
    There's very few country churches that have an aisle wide enough TBH. Even Duiske has a wide aisle, but definitely not a country feel there as it's in the town.
    Bennetsbridge church would have pews that slide back, but it's more a modern church and doesn't have a long aisle.
    OP I think you're going to have to compromise somewhat TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Comerman

Not trying to be smart or anything here but if a church can accommodate the carrying of a coffin by people on both sides along the main aisle would that not be wide enough then for two wheelchairs?

Comerman wrote: »
    Not trying to be smart or anything here but if a church can accommodate the carrying of a coffin by people on both sides along the main aisle would that not be wide enough then for two wheelchairs?

Not all churches, no. You shouldn't make assumptions about something you know nothing about.

People carrying coffins are usually standing almost shoulder to shoulder. Usually able to put their arm around the shoulders of the person beside them for extra support. Wheelchairs are wider than people.. they have wheels for a start! and seats, often with armrests that add extra width to the width of the user.

So are you any further along in picking a church after the above suggestions, Mickey?

People carrying coffins are usually standing almost shoulder to shoulder. Usually able to put their arm around the shoulders of the person beside them for extra support. Wheelchairs are wider than people.. they have wheels for a start! and seats, often with armrests that add extra width to the width of the user.

So are you any further along in picking a church after the above suggestions, Mickey?

We've settled on Clara Church, which is 5 mins from the Lyrath.

We were lucky enough to catch the parish priest in the office today, and he came down to let us in to see the church.

He's extremely flexible about moving the pews to accommodate our chairs, and those of any guests who maybe wheelchair users.

Not all churches, no. You shouldn't make assumptions about something you know nothing about.
    I do apologise mental Mickey but as I said I wasn't trying to be funny or anything and I haven't been or never will be in ALL churches. Glad you picked my original suggestion though, best of luck to both of you on the big day and for the future.

Comerman wrote: »
    I do apologise mental Mickey but as I said I wasn't trying to be funny or anything and I haven't been or never will be in ALL churches. Glad you picked my original suggestion though, best of luck to both of you on the big day and for the future.

Was that your original suggestion lol!!??? Mucho embarrassed lol!!!

Was that your original suggestion lol!!??? Mucho embarrassed lol!!!
    :D Best of luck to you both.

• Advertisement
Advertisement