Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rural WiFi

Options
  • 23-01-2017 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Has anyone heard of Rural Wifi & if so how fast is it & would it be possible to run an android box for your TV of it or what gig would you need to run an android box for good viewing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Carol B wrote: »
    Has anyone heard of Rural Wifi & if so how fast is it & would it be possible to run an android box for your TV of it or what gig would you need to run an android box for good viewing.

It's based on the mobile network and uses 3G/4G so what speed does your phone manage presently?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

And they use the Three mobile network.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,628 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

You would need a speed of about 5-7mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭orlaithd12

Can anyone tell me what router is supplied by Rural WiFi?
    Thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭niallb

I got a Teltonika RUT950.
    It's excellent.
    I've linked to the Amazon page so you can see a few reviews and questions.
    Mine came unlocked.

It has two good external antennas and I was able to attach my own antenna for improved reception where we live.
    It's actually dual SIM which is unusual, and runs a custom version of openwrt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭pawrick

Anyone have some speed test results form using rural wifi? Or what is the typical average speeds you are getting over time?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

pawrick wrote: »
    Anyone have some speed test results form using rural wifi? Or what is the typical average speeds you are getting over time?

There are more than 5000 cells in the country, what others get has little impact on what you will.

Test with a Three sim card at peak time (9PM on a Friday for example), that'll be indicative of what you'll receive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭pawrick

ED E wrote: »
    There are more than 5000 cells in the country, what others get has little impact on what you will.

Test with a Three sim card at peak time (9PM on a Friday for example), that'll be indicative of what you'll receive.

Thanks for that, I kinda knew it already but was fishing for any other peoples experiences really. I'm just trying to figure out what the benefit of going with rural wifi over 3 all you can eat data would be if it's the case that they mirror one another speed wise. Last time i tested 3 i kept connecting to an older O2 mast nearby which wasn't 4G enabled rather than the 4G mast slightly further away.

There is none really. Maybe slightly better CS, thats it.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

So. I signed up with Rural Wifi last week. I paid €65 'refundable deposit', first month's data allowance of €33.60 (rising to €49 after 6 months), and shipping cost €15.00. total outlay €113,60. (Money back guarantee within 21 days). It all arrived today, it was easy to set up & sufficient speeds for my modest usage.
    However would I not be wise to parcel the lot up & return it to Rural Wifi & get a full refund, wander into PC World & buy the router (exact same one Rural Wifi sent me) stand alone sim card? The router is €125, the sim will cost €20 to top up & I have unlimited data.
    My initial outlay will be approx €20 more, but I will be saving significantly when the 6 month special offer expires & I'll be paying €50 a month, and the contract is for 18 months.
    Am I missing something????

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 DamoCork

Foggy Jew wrote: »
    So. I signed up with Rural Wifi last week. I paid €65 'refundable deposit', first month's data allowance of €33.60 (rising to €49 after 6 months), and shipping cost €15.00. total outlay €113,60. (Money back guarantee within 21 days). It all arrived today, it was easy to set up & sufficient speeds for my modest usage.
    However would I not be wise to parcel the lot up & return it to Rural Wifi & get a full refund, wander into PC World & buy the router (exact same one Rural Wifi sent me) stand alone sim card? The router is €125, the sim will cost €20 to top up & I have unlimited data.
    My initial outlay will be approx €20 more, but I will be saving significantly when the 6 month special offer expires & I'll be paying €50 a month, and the contract is for 18 months.
    Am I missing something????

Thinking of getting three or rural WiFi can anyone advise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

This seems ridiculous. If all you get is a mobile signal then why would anyone go with Rural WIFI? Just get a Three sim and turn on the hotspot on your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 DamoCork

Pelvis wrote: »
    This seems ridiculous. If all you get is a mobile signal then why would anyone go with Rural WIFI? Just get a Three sim and turn on the hotspot on your phone.

Hi pelvis I’m asking the same question here - imagine, three and rural WiFi have the same congestion issues. I think I’ll get the 750gb deal on three network this will surely be fast enough to play Netflix had, the data is 750gb v 600gb with imagine and no set up costs

I was previously with Ice Broadband (crowd of shysters.... patchy, erratic coverage and I had to pay extra if we exceeded our 100mg limit). Then, apparently, a tree grew leaves, and I was no longer able to receive their signal. Customer service in Ice Broadband is totally NON existent. With my head sore after banging it against the wall, I signed up for Rural Broadband end of July last year. (See my post in this thread 31/7/2017). It was a pretty hefty outlay, for my limited means, about €110 initially and €50 per month thereafter. I got it, it worked, but then resident tech genius, and major internet user suggested that I parcel up their TP router and sent it back to them, with a polite Thanks but no thanks letter. My money was refunded.
    I went to Currys/PC World and bought the same router, then called into my local Three shop and bought a Sim card, with unlimited data for €20 per month. Since then, we have been streaming movies, Netflix whatever your having yourself, all for €20.00 per month. Excellent service, and no glitches. I guess we are fortunate that the 3 signal is quite strong where we are, but I have saved myself upwards of €30.00 per month. I call that a win!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭-=al=-

If you get mobile signal (Hopefully 4g), Just get a router that can take a sim card and get three's 750gb package or €20 phone all you can eat plan

Huawei b593s second hand unlocked on ebay will sort you out

• Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Have a router bought from curry's. The sim can only get 3g and all I use is 3 sim with 20 credit.Works perfect for my android box netflix .

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭The Haven

I was previously with Ice Broadband (crowd of shysters.... patchy, erratic coverage and I had to pay extra if we exceeded our 100mg limit). Then, apparently, a tree grew leaves, and I was no longer able to receive their signal. Customer service in Ice Broadband is totally NON existent. With my head sore after banging it against the wall, I signed up for Rural Broadband end of July last year. (See my post in this thread 31/7/2017). It was a pretty hefty outlay, for my limited means, about €110 initially and €50 per month thereafter. I got it, it worked, but then resident tech genius, and major internet user suggested that I parcel up their TP router and sent it back to them, with a polite Thanks but no thanks letter. My money was refunded.
    I went to Currys/PC World and bought the same router, then called into my local Three shop and bought a Sim card, with unlimited data for €20 per month. Since then, we have been streaming movies, Netflix whatever your having yourself, all for €20.00 per month. Excellent service, and no glitches. I guess we are fortunate that the 3 signal is quite strong where we are, but I have saved myself upwards of €30.00 per month. I call that a win!

Interesting idea... I am thinking about using this.
    Join Rural Wifi for a test, or buy that router and a sim.
    Which is working out better?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Would buying a Three SIM card and using a Router with a SIM card Slot sort out someone living out in the countryside? I've used a phone as a hotspot but never even knew there was something like this available. Any recommend a reasonable priced one?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Would buying a Three SIM card and using a Router with a SIM card Slot sort out someone living out in the countryside? I've used a phone as a hotspot but never even knew there was something like this available. Any recommend a reasonable priced one?

It "can" work fine. But Three have disabled a few PAYG sims that were put into routers just to use the data. If the sim is in a phone and use it as a hotspot then they seem to turn a blind eye. For an extra €15 per month you could get the proper broadband sim and router from Three (it does lock you into a contract though).

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

pawrick wrote: »
    Last time i tested 3 i kept connecting to an older O2 mast nearby which wasn't 4G enabled rather than the 4G mast slightly further away.
    You find out where the clearest (less trees buildings between you and it, and it's nearby) mast , and then assemble something along the lines of a poor mans WiFi pointed at the mast for a better signal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

the_syco wrote: »
    You find out where the clearest (less trees buildings between you and it, and it's nearby) mast , and then assemble something along the lines of a poor mans WiFi pointed at the mast for a better signal.

That link is so hard to view. Looks like it was made in the 90s :) I had something similar made at home at the beginning of the NBS. It worked until the masts were upgraded.

A year on & my PC World router & prepaid €20 a month are working out fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭The Haven

This is route I've gone down.
    Bought the router, now just need to get the €20 sim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Is that with Three?

Yep. I get a 4g sometimes 5g signal. It's perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Danick

Hi - is there any chance you could tell me the name of the router you bought? Was it easy to setup? Thanks

Hi - I'm in work at the moment, and I couldn't think of the name of the router, so I went on PC World's site. My router is a TP Link, which is identical to the one Rural Broadband sent me, and which I returned to them. Whilst on the PC World site, I saw a TP Link router for less than €50 - mine cost €125 last year! It looks different to mine, and I have no idea whether it is better or worse. I strongly advise you to go into PC World or any shop selling tech, tell them what you are hoping to do, and let them know that if it doesn't work, you will be looking for a full refund. When you get it home, try out the SIMcard from your phone. You will quickly see whether it works or not. As I said, I am delighted with mine.... we binge on Netflix, download all round us, and all for €20 a month. As for setting it up? Plug it in and away you go. Nothing simpler! If it helps, I will have a look at my router when I get home and give you the exact make and model etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Danick

Hi - I'm in work at the moment, and I couldn't think of the name of the router, so I went on PC World's site. My router is a TP Link, which is identical to the one Rural Broadband sent me, and which I returned to them. Whilst on the PC World site, I saw a TP Link router for less than €50 - mine cost €125 last year! It looks different to mine, and I have no idea whether it is better or worse. I strongly advise you to go into PC World or any shop selling tech, tell them what you are hoping to do, and let them know that if it doesn't work, you will be looking for a full refund. When you get it home, try out the SIMcard from your phone. You will quickly see whether it works or not. As I said, I am delighted with mine.... we binge on Netflix, download all round us, and all for €20 a month. As for setting it up? Plug it in and away you go. Nothing simpler! If it helps, I will have a look at my router when I get home and give you the exact make and model etc....

Thanks for the reply and advice - If it isn't too much trouble would you mind sending me your router's model number if you get a chance? I generally try to buy things that people have tried and tested - thanks

So.... It's a TP-Link AC 750 Wireless Dual Band 4g LTE Router. I positioned it on a window sill in a middle bedroom (I live in a bungalow), and, as I said, it works a treat. Let me know how you fare.

• Advertisement

No you're not.

Advertisement