Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it weird that I LOVE my waitress job?

Options
  • 23-01-2017 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭

Hh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,660 ✭✭✭storker

I always like hearing about people who really love their jobs, no matter what their jobs are. It's a very happy situation to be in. Good for you. As the old saying goes, "Find a job you love, and you'll never have to work a day in your life."

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭TheUnderfaker

storker wrote: »
    "Find a job you love, and you'll never have to work a day in your life."

That's the truth!

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭TheUnderfaker

OP, it may or may not be what you do for the rest of your life, but you learn skills working as a waiter/waitress that you won't learn in any other line of work. I'd think if everyone waited on tables at least once in their life it would make the world a better place!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I know someone working in a well paid public service job but prior to getting it worked in restaurants as a waiter. He loved it because of the aspects of meeting new people all the time and felt rewarded when he got tipped well.

Unfortunately working in such a low paid job is not conducive towards getting a mortgage, nor having kids (albeit evening work might help childcare issues).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

I'm 30 and honestly, my dream job would be to work as a waitress.
    I done it when I was younger and it was so much fun.

If I could earn the same money I do now as a waitress, I would 100% do it!
    Best job ever :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

I wouldn't blame him, I used to think a year or more ago that the enthusiasm would wear off, but here I am every time I go to work I just really enjoy it for some reason. It can be rewarding, I watch reviews like a hawk lol.

I think it's because eventually I want to put all the experience/tips and tricks I pick up working in a restaurant to good use and hopefully gather the education and strong head to open my own restaurant and give young people like myself the same experience I had.

haha you're right BetsyEllen! It is the best job ever! don't wanna get older.

... you learn skills working as a waiter/waitress that you won't learn in any other line of work. I'd think if everyone waited on tables at least once in their life it would make the world a better place!

Agree 100%. One of the other things you learn when waiting tables is how to treat and communicate with the people who you find waiting on your table in other establishments or later in life. High on my list of annoyances is seeing someone talk down to a waiter.

I never waited tables in a restaurant but I did a few years as a bar waiter and then as a barman when I was in secondary school. Boy that job taught me a lot...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Polar101

It's good honest work, nothing wrong with liking it. It's a great attitude to take pride in what you do.

Another quote that's stayed with me ever since I first heard it years ago...it's more about people being in the zone when they're doing their job, but still relevant, I think...

"You know, like anything can be great, anything can be great. I don't care, BRICKLAYING can be great, if a guy knows. If he knows what he's doing and why and if he can make it come off."

For those who don't recognise it, it's Paul Newman in "The Hustler".

Edit: Here's the clip. Surprisingly motivational, from a movie that can be pretty depressing.

• Advertisement

completely agree storker, you learn a set of valuable lessons to do with general communication, which i will always value and know i learned from doing such jobs. It makes me more outgoing, open minded, meeting lots of different people!

That taxi story is so inspiring :D especially the pulse of the city part... taxi drivers really are in the know of everything that's going on around them, i'd say you'd meet some characters alright.

I kind of found that, even if you're doing something you think you hate or dislike, surely its better to go at it and get good at it and no longer hate it? if that makes sense..

loving these responses.

It's taught me little things at home aswell, like generally just getting stuff done, not afraid to get my hands dirty, being faster on my feet, not as physically sensitive, stronger, etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,278 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

It's weirder that you posted this in the Dublin City forum.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

My first ever job was in the cinema and I absolutely LOVED it, still hanker after the craic and the atmosphere. It's great serving people who are out for a good night out. I worked in restaurants and pubs as well and always enjoyed the banter. Enjoy it while it lasts OP! When you get into more "responsible" positions it's definitely not as much fun.

If it's what you love then aim to open your own restaurant one day, you will never regret doing what you love.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

I really liked working as a waitress when I did it for a year and a half back in college, and completely get what you are saying about the buzz about the place. Office work is quite dull in comparison...

Can't believe you left out the main perk - free food! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Is this in the correct forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Mod: It is now. Thread moved to Sunshine, Lollipops and Rainbows. Better here than Dublin City. Local charter applies ie. don't go against the happiness.

Mod hat off: dealing with people can be very rewarding and too often the skills, experience and smarts required in dealing with the public are badly underappreciated.

Oh yes and trying lots of different food! My first time trying risotto about a month ago I was only delighted with myself :D. I'm actually starting a new job at an Indian restaurant on Friday so that should be interesting!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

That's great dartboardio. I'm sure everyone would be delighted to have a job that they love as much as you love yours!

One of my favourite jobs I've had was also when I was in college and I worked part-time in a supermarket - I loved it! Same as you, loved chatting to people except I was on the tills scanning their food, not serving it on a plate :D

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

I am thinking about working in a restaurant on a part time basis.

I have zero experience working in this area.

Is experience essential?

• Advertisement

Experience is definitely not essential... a restaurant is probably one of the easiest type of work to pick up, in my case! Restaurants seek kitchen porters - I got an interview by sending an email and just seeming short, sweet and eager, when i was 16...

If you want to work as a waitress/waiter just show them you're a people person, outgoing and willing to be flexible and do anything they ask!.. try start out in local cafes, etc .

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Sunny_Arms

Happy that you found a job that you love! That is very rare, especially during this pandemic and this society that's becoming tiring and toxic. I hope that you'll continue to love tit and never tire of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭sporina

hi ya hope your well - just wondering where you are at now in terms of this thread? (i'm exploring the SLR forum)

haha! now I am living in UAE and working in real estate, laughing about how excited I got as a 19 year old about little things! :-) I did love that job though.. left there in Feb 2018 actually a year later..

and yes I suppose I love my job now too ;) I could do with taking a leaf out of my 19 year old self zest for life book! lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 emmawalker

it is actually a great luck to find a job that you will love and that you will live and burn, in such a job you will have many opportunities

• Registered Users Posts: 31,864 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

If the pay was good in UAE restaurants would you do it?

I live in Abu Dhabi so I know what the waiting scene is like in the UAE

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭bejeezus

No. That’s awesome. You must be a real people person as I think they’re the kind that’d thrive in such a job.

Yeah to be honest I think I would, if the pay was decent as you said, but for the current pay scale and working hours no way.

• Advertisement
Advertisement