Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed.

Options
  • 23-01-2017 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Hi, hoping someone on here could help me. I've owned a shotgun for over 10 years but haven't taken it out in the last 3 years due to my dogs getting old/dying etc. I didn't renew my licence a the end of last year as I had planned on selling the gun but have had second thoughts.

Is it too late now to send in the licence renewal form and if so what is the next step, do I contact the local sergeant to explain the circumstances. Don't want to be the owner of an unlicensed firearm.

Thanks for any guidance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Free-2-Flow

calistro wrote:
    Is it too late now to send in the licence renewal form and if so what is the next step, do I contact the local sergeant to explain the circumstances. Don't want to be the owner of an unlicensed firearm.

Your licence renewal will have a due date on the form, generally 3 months after the letter is received, if I was in your situation I would bring my firearm to a dealer and put it into storage and then contact your local Sargent and explain the circumstances of not renewing it, he will probably be more understanding if your firearm is in storage rather than at your home, I'm surprised they haven't contacted you by now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

calistro wrote: »
    Don't want to be the owner of an unlicensed firearm.
    Unfortunately if the license expired last year then you are in possession of an unlicensed firearm.

First thing, as said above, is to get it to a dealer. Have it stored there until you decide to renew or sell.

If you decide to renew, again as said above, check the date. The expiry date of your license will tell you if you can use it it or not. If it's expired (gone past the date o the FCR) simply contact your FO and ask them to send out another FCR (renewal). Fill it in and send it back.

If S/he says they cannot re-issue the FCR then fill in an FCA1 and tick the box in section 2 that asks if you had the firearm licensed in the previous three years. Supply all the details and your old cert number. You'll get the grant letter exactly like you would with the renewal.

Should bee no hassle, but get the firearm into a dealers asap.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭calistro

Thanks for the advice, leaving it in today to the dealers until I get it renewed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Better safe than sorry.

While we say you'll be grand it's the Gardaí that make the decision and the response you get can vary depending on the mood of the Garda that stops or calls into check on you.

This way if they call around to ask where your gun is and why you haven't renewed you can explain your situation, but be safe in the knowledge the gun is out of your possession.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement