Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query IBT

• 23-01-2017 5:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

hi
    I applied for a learner permit A2. Just arrived today. I only want to drive an automatic scooter so I got one today. 400CC Majestic.

I want to get on the road as quickly as possible. I have been quoted 500 for a 2 day IBT training which is grand. I will use my own scooter.

After the initial 2 day training , I can ride on a public road. I must wear novice bib until I complete and pass the Driving test (6 month at least from Initial IBT training )

My question is , am I obliged to take more IBT lessons before driving test?
    Are all the necessary modules done over the two days training and is that sufficient?

Many thanks

Paddy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

hi
    I applied for a learner permit A2. Just arrived today. I only want to drive an automatic scooter so I got one today. 400CC Majestic.

I want to get on the road as quickly as possible. I have been quoted 500 for a 2 day IBT training which is grand. I will use my own scooter.

After the initial 2 day training , I can ride on a public road. I must wear novice bib until I complete and pass the Driving test (6 month at least from Initial IBT training )

Are all the necessary modules done over the two days training and is that sufficient?

Many thanks

Paddy

You're not required to take any more training before test. A lot of people do a pre-test to see if you've built up any nasty habits, but it's not essential or required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

Just wondering would anyone..Know of Meath - Kildare... Recommend ..IBT ..TRAINER

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Just wondering would anyone..Know of Meath - Kildare... Recommend ..IBT ..TRAINER

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Motorcyclists/Initial-basic-training-IBT-for-motorcyclists/Find-an-IBT-Instructor/

RSA website has a dedicated search for trainers in each county, if you are doing it in meath I can show you the 2 most popular test routes no probs, I have shown 3 lads now and all passed 1st time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

hi

Many thanks

Paddy

I think you'll find it's only half a grand.......

• Advertisement

That's very decent offer ..!! Might take ya up on that ..Myself and the missus are doing the IBT ..Her one week me the next...All well we will apply for tests as soon as the 6 months elapses ..That's the plan anyway
    ..Thanks for the very nice offer ..paddy

All I will say is that be careful who you choose IBT wise, I can tell you that all instructors are not equal but charge a fortune. You can deffo haggle and it should be cheaper then €500 if using your own bike thats for sure. If its the same price then use his and gain experience on a different machine.....

No probs with helping you and the queen bee out at all in or around the Meath area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    All I will say is that be careful who you choose IBT wise, I can tell you that all instructors are not equal but charge a fortune. You can deffo haggle and it should be cheaper then €500 if using your own bike thats for sure. If its the same price then use his and gain experience on a different machine.....

No probs with helping you and the queen bee out at all in or around the Meath area.

Should be cheaper in a group too

I just got a quote for 410 each I think that's good ..Many thks

Did a deal for a majestic 400 2010 model. 34km. 3950. Got 1300 for my 152 NEOS 50CC..As trade in. Seller did well in my opinion.
    Anyway I liked the 400 drove well.
    Seller was asked by the missus what was the 400 traded in for..Seller told her a new moped and pointed to one outside the shop. Rear tyre was bald seller agreed to replace it with new one
    Fair enough.
    However when I got home was just looking at what I thought was a similar bike for sale in Dublin for 200 cheaper ...On going through the photos I discovered it was actually the bike I had agreed to buy a short time earlier at a different sellers shop! I found it rather strange that the seller didn't know ( who is also the owner) whether or not the 400 was serviced or not ...He says it will get the full service before I take it.
    However on the recent add that the other dealer had up
    .He said it was fully serviced!
    I'm beginning to think this is smelling a bit off. Is 34 k reasonable mileage for a 7 year old bike? Can you tell if it was clocked?
    I'm wondering why the other dealer couldn't shift it at 200 cheaper..Do dealers ...Swop around bikes to each other to sell.

Views appreciated...No nothing about bikes
    ..Don't want to end up with a problem bike for that money ..4 grand nearly ..Hoping for travel free motoring till I get loan cleared at least!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

I must wear novice bib until I complete and pass the Driving test (6 month at least from Initial IBT training)

You'll need to wear an 'L' bib until you pass your driving test. If you don't hold a full licence for another category (and you have to hold that licence longer than 2 years!), you'll then need to wear the 'N' bib or 'Novice'.

Just to clear that up!

Oh thks I know about the L
    Re the N. FULL LICENCE in another category ..You mean another motorbike licence category? I full licences for every category..Eg bus truck article etc ..That doesn't count?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Oh thks I know about the L
    Re the N. FULL LICENCE in another category ..You mean another motorbike licence category? I full licences for every category..Eg bus truck article etc ..That doesn't count?

Full license in any other category - car, bike, bus, truck, etc. If you hold any of those, then no need for an N bib.

No matter what, you need the L bib for the first 6 months, until you pass the test and get your full license.

You will learn less in a group but save money, deffo would not go more then 2 thats for sure. If you are doing it with a partner you might not be as bad. I know a few people that did it in a group to save money but 1 of the people was a disaster so the instructor gave most of his time to "Forrest Gump" and the others missed out on vital 1-1 tuition.

Best of luck with the IBT its a great experience, dont treat it as work I found it absolute great fun.

• Site Banned Posts: 95 ✭✭EIRE forever

I done my IBT & pre test for the full bike licence with a fella called mick Finlay, can't get a sounder chap an he doesn't charge mad money either. He's based in nass. I passed my full test there on the 11th of this month with the help of mick Finlay. Not sure if you can pm on here but if ye can send me a pm and I'll send you on his details

As for the guy who posted this thread, 500 is robbery just first 2 days. I got mine for no more than 3-350.

• Site Banned Posts: 95 ✭✭EIRE forever

No, you only do 2days for your IBT an that's everywhere in EIRE. If you can make it to nass there's a chap named mick Finlay, he'll do it for way cheaper than 500 squid. 500 is just robbery.
    Mick will sort you out no prob,an especially if you usever your own bike it's cheaper.

hi

Many thanks

Paddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Stravos Murphy

No, you only do 2days for your IBT an that's everywhere in EIRE. If you can make it to nass there's a chap named mick Finlay, he'll do it for way cheaper than 500 squid. 500 is just robbery.
    Mick will sort you out no prob,an especially if you usever your own bike it's cheaper.

That's enough advertising for one day Mick.

Advertisement