Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Demotion

Options
  • 23-01-2017 5:24pm

So I work in a job for almost 17 years, wages have never been great, I moved around inside the job a few times and got extra pay. I'm almost a year in the latest role but I think They are having seconds thoughts if there is enough work for me.( I had two roles and they hired another guy in to do one of my roles and I do that role part the time, the other role I have I help another guy)

I asked about a pay rise befor Xmas as I had been flat out and doing a great job with both of them. They were to come back to me and haven't yet done so.
    Since then though there's been signs they don't want me doing so much work or give me extra money, IE they held back on giving me alot of work etc and gave it to the new guy that takes alot longer to do it (not putting him down )
    And a few other things.

Anyways my question is if they decide they don't need me for either of them roles can they just put me back out on factory floor and decrease my wages? Where would I stand on this? Is there anything that says they cannot cut my wages?
    I don't have a copy of a contract or anything.
    Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I am fairly sure that they must offer you redundancy, if they can't give you an equivalent role that is at the same level and does not reduce your benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

so your currently doing this job for the same pay as your previous job??

My thought would be yes,, as it's the same pay then if they "offer" you back your previous position it would be considered suitable alternative position and no redundancy situation would arise.

If your current position ends (and presuming no one else moves into it) the position is then redundant, they have two options, pay you redundancy or offer you suitable alternative work, if you refuse this suitable alternative work then you are making yourself redundant, you leave your job and no payment is due.

There is a bit of ambiguity around "suitable alternative" work but one major factor would be pay and it seems bit positions currently pay the same. But the work does not need to be identical at all.

No sorry. The role i am currently in I got about 15% raise.
    So could they just say to me they can put me back on factory floor and take the 15% off me. Or would they need to keep wages the same?
    I know that wouldn't go down well with other employees.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Only case of demotion with pay reduction I've dealt with was as part of a disciplinary process.

I guess it's down to the company, I'm not aware of any legal reason they couldn't say it hasn't worked out, but it would be a bit crappy, but "being crappy" doesn't prohibit something from happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

You're too long in the company in my opinion and probably not appreciated!

Move on and look for work elsewhere!

• Advertisement

I had been looking at moving on last year and just befor i handed in notice they offered me this role.
    I have learned alot with the two jobs but would prefer to do one of them full time. The problem is neither is constantly busy so I am never sure what i will do week to week.

Advertisement