Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

motor bike stolen from outside house - insurance claim refused

• 23-01-2017 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi

My motorbike was stolen from outside my front door, in driveway. The policy originally covered this but apparently this changed last year, and i forgot to read the fine print. Anyhow, insurance company will not pay out. I had several months left on that policy, I thought as this policy was now null and void I would get a refund? Insurance company are saying no, so as I have had to get a new bike I now have two policies, well i have paid for two. Can this be correct?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Hi

My motorbike was stolen from outside my front door, in driveway. The policy originally covered this but apparently this changed last year, and i forgot to read the fine print. Anyhow, insurance company will not pay out. I had several months left on that policy, I thought as this policy was now null and void I would get a refund? Insurance company are saying no, so as I have had to get a new bike I now have two policies, well i have paid for two. Can this be correct?

Why have you taken out a new policy instead of transferring the cover to the new bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 peter rabbit

I have had a about 5 phone calls - to a UK broker about this, apparently this cannot be done, as the first claim was being looked into. It didn't make sense to me.

We cancelled a policy on a car a few years ago and got a refund, so I thought the same would happen with the bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

What policy did you have..:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,008 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Which insurer? It's often said they look for any reason not to pay out.
    Was the bike listed on the policy as being kept in a garden or did you have it as garaged?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

GBX wrote: »
    Which insurer? It's often said they look for any reason not to pay out.
    Was the bike listed on the policy as being kept in a garden or did you have it as garaged?

As you say, but I find it hard to believe that they would remove theft from your policy without telling you..if you had TPFT ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Its hard to answer this without the details.

Was the bike meant to be parked in a shed or garage?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 peter rabbit

It was listed on policy as being garaged overnight, so technically they are correct. My query was that the unused portion of the policy was not refunded. I replaced the bike and had to take out a new policy and pay full whack again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭Brian201888

That really doesn't sound right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

Check what the minimum premium was on the policy. Many insurers (albeit more common in non motor policies) will not return any premium for a part cancelled policy depending on the initial cost of the policy and at what stage the cancellation took place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Isn't the question "Where is your bike normally parked?". Assuming you might go to a friends and leave it out on the street, or for some reason you leave it in your driveway rather than the garage?
    Is it normal for an insurance company to refuse payment for something like this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,008 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Cienciano wrote: »
    Isn't the question "Where is your bike normally parked?". Assuming you might go to a friends and leave it out on the street, or for some reason you leave it in your driveway rather than the garage?
    Is it normal for an insurance company to refuse payment for something like this?

I think there is a distance to where "home" classed on some policies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

GBX wrote: »
    I think there is a distance to where "home" classed on some policies.

This

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭pea be

Yes, my policy specifically excludes theft from within a certain distance from your home... unless the bike is in a garage.
    (I can't remember the distance now., but from memory it might be 200m).

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ronoc101

Noticed this on my policy which was not mentioned at renewal

"ENDORSEMENT(S) APPLICABLE – as indicated below (please refer to the insurance Document or endorsement appendix for full wording)

728 E728 Excluding Theft When Not In Private Garage"

Policy covers bike locked to ground anchor in driveway so this was a bit worrying. Called them and they said it was a mistake and they would reissue correct documents. cant help but wonder if I hadn't spotted it and bike was robbed..........................

Insured with Principal. Who was your insurer OP ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

did you leave it idling on the driveway while the screen was defrosting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

ronoc101 wrote: »
    Noticed this on my policy which was not mentioned at renewal

"ENDORSEMENT(S) APPLICABLE – as indicated below (please refer to the insurance Document or endorsement appendix for full wording)

728 E728 Excluding Theft When Not In Private Garage"

Policy covers bike locked to ground anchor in driveway so this was a bit worrying. Called them and they said it was a mistake and they would reissue correct documents. cant help but wonder if I hadn't spotted it and bike was robbed..........................

Insured with Principal. Who was your insurer OP ?

I am with principal too and I am gonna check my docs now. This is a known tactic to **** people over as the onus is on us to read the document.

Not the insurance company to tell us.

Wossack wrote: »
    did you leave it idling on the driveway while the screen was defrosting?

He left it idling while he pumped up his chain.......:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    I am with principal too and I am gonna check my docs now. This is a known tactic to **** people over as the onus is on us to read the document.

Not the insurance company to tell us.

They sent me 8 PDF documents . I cant find any such exclusion anywhere.

Just incase I missed it, where did you find that exclusion?

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

Out of curiosity, what bike was it and where abouts roughly was it taken from?

Did you have it ground anchored?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ronoc101

They sent me 8 PDF documents . I cant find any such exclusion anywhere.

Just incase I missed it, where did you find that exclusion?

ZENSCHmc - IRL v2.pdf under heading "Endorsements Applicable"

Also ZENPROPmc - v2.pdf "Where is the motor cycle kept overnight? Locked Building" when in fact its driveway with ground anchor.

They have since reissued corrected documents and explained incorrect details were so they could get lower quote through underwriters system restrictions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

In fairness, saying you store it in a garage puts you on a lower premium. If you say you store it in a particular way, you should be covered when it gets stolen. Mine is down as being in the driveway.

Yeah if you did say it was garaged to get a lower premium (or said anything to get a lower premium-and not do it you are out of your mind)

Insurance companies are worse then any MAFIA!

In fairness, saying you store it in a garage puts you on a lower premium. If you say you store it in a particular way, you should be covered when it gets stolen. Mine is down as being in the driveway.

I'd like to see what the price difference is. I mean, i used to store mine in a garage but about 5 days a year, it'd be in a driveway. I'd pay the extra €20 or whatever for driveway storage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Its hard to answer this without the details.

Was the bike meant to be parked in a shed or garage?

The policy usually asks where the movable is USUALLY parked. They cannot deny the payment because this was not the case. But if the question was formed differently, the policy might not cover such risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

grogi wrote: »
    The policy usually asks where the movable is USUALLY parked. They cannot deny the payment because this was not the case. But if the question was formed differently, the policy might not cover such risk.

They ask where the bike is usually kept but the only thing that counts is the policy documents and I've had a couple of policies that didn't cover theft if the bike was stolen from a certain distance from where I said it was kept in a locked garage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

my bike insurance was explained to me when a change was added
    the change was along the lined that my bike is not insured against theft after 10 pm and before 7 am if it is within 2 km of my home (where it is usually stored) unless it is in the shed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

I might accidentally kick in my own garage door in frustration if something like that were to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I might accidentally kick in my own garage door in frustration if something like that were to happen.

You'd want to be sure of your neighbours.

People wonder why premiums are increasing when they have the attitude that the insurance company is the only one responsible for sticking to the contract that both parties entered.

Tigger wrote: »
    my bike insurance was explained to me when a change was added
    the change was along the lined that my bike is not insured against theft after 10 pm and before 7 am if it is within 2 km of my home (where it is usually stored) unless it is in the shed

That's crazy when you think about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Cienciano wrote: »
    That's crazy when you think about it.

They can't change during the policy and you can move to anther company at renewal.

Advertisement