Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTP and cycle racing.

Options
  • 23-01-2017 7:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

What sort of a FTP should I have for A4 racing. Not so that I win everything but just to not make a fool of myself. My current FTP is a bit weak at 208 watts but if I knew what was required I would have some idea where I need to get to as regards FTP.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

What weight are you?
    It's watts per kg that you need to worry about :)

I read this article a while ago and found it interesting ...
    http://www.stickybottle.com/coaching/ras-county-man-sets-out-how-much-power-is-needed-to-survive-2/

So thankfully the Ras is not the same as A4 :)

Road racing is not just watts per kg.
    It'll depend on a lot of things really.
    In A4 specifically it generally comes down to a bunch sprint.
    Do you have the legs and head for it after two hours in the saddle?
    Have you been working on the front or hiding?
    So many factors :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

You might survive... you might not. its depends on your efficiency in the group and on the bike.
    cycling-power-table.png

if you want to be on the front and giving it a lash you might need to have a power to weight of 4 (208w / 4 means you need to weigh 52kg) or if you want to try and hang on it would need to be 3 (208w / 3 means you need to weigh 70kg).

thats roughly an idea. i'm 3.9-ish (300 / 76) and can hang on in A3.
    Really.. its all about the sprint and been cute in finding a position in the last 10km and keeping it.
    Give it a go... but for god's sake keep your line and your wheel in the bunch! :D

good reads:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/Cyclists-Training-Bible-Joe-Friel/1934030201
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Training-Racing-Power-Meter-Hunter/dp/1934030554/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1485273865&sr=1-6

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,414 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Moved from Cycling Training Logs (as it's not a Cycling Training Log;))

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

250W is only enough if you're jockey build.
    300W is plenty unless you're heavy, and even then you can target flatter races.

Most would be somewhere between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I'm heading A4 racing this year with a rough FTP of 220 but I am fat ass lad at 99kg, likely be eaten alive but it's worth a shot I think.

My FTP is done via virtual calculating from a turbo with Traineroad but I'm hoping to get access to a watt bike somewhere to get an accurate measure.

Watts per kg is coming in at 2.05 but I think I'd ride better than that if I'm being honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

its worth giving a few races a go with an expectation of struggling for the first couple. its very hard to say 260watts at a certain weight will see you through a race. depends on the course and the field that pitches up on the day (enter the juniors). i've raced a3 events where i've been hanging on for dear life whilst absolutely burying myself and races where i could have watched a few youtubes on my phone as we went around. get stuck in and see how well/badly you do... then build from there.

do some club league racing first of course to develop some bunch skills which are a lot more important starting out than wattages imo .

its worth giving a few races a go with an expectation of struggling for the first few. its very hard to say 260watts at a certain weight will see you through. depends on on the course and the field that pitches up on the day (enter the juniors). i've raced a3 events where ive been hanging on for dear life whilst absolutely burying myself and races where i could have watched a few youtubes on my phone as we went around. get stuck in and see how well/badly you do... then build from there.

do some club league racing first of course to develop some bunch skills which are a lot more important starting out than wattages imo .

Excellent advise, I learned alot from two club leagues last year.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,414 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Ability to ride in a group, hold a wheel and be in the right place at the right time are probably more important than absolute power at the A4 level. As already mentioned learning a bit about racing in a club league is probably the best way to learn the ropes (unless you want to try something like track racing at Sundrive, which will teach you a lot more in a controlled and relatively safe environment)

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

Ya, it's all about w/kg + strategy. I won a Cat 4 with about 230 W/FTP.

TGD wrote: »
    Ya, it's all about w/kg + strategy. I won a Cat 4 with about 230 W/FTP.

I disagree fundamentally on the w/kg point. That certainly has relevance in hilly races but on relatively flat circuits, unless you're going to try and make a break (where you may well be putting out twice as much power as someone sitting in the middle of a bunch) it's more down to tactical nouse and good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 TCRDublin

I think people are getting too hung up on FTP, it's just a number for setting your training zones. If you're starting out racing, just enjoy the experience of it, good bad or indifferent. You will have a lot to learn. I'm starting out on my first open road racing season in A4 this year as well. I have been following a structured training plan for months for the 2017 season and my FTP is 370 and I'm 67kg. But that doesn't mean I'm going to win anything. I have to learn the intricacies of racing such as handling / conserving energy / when to attack etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Beasty wrote: »
    I disagree fundamentally on the w/kg point. That certainly has relevance in hilly races but on relatively flat circuits, unless you're going to try and make a break (where you may well be putting out twice as much power as someone sitting in the middle of a bunch) it's more down to tactical nouse and good luck.

I agree with that. At my best, I was 320/330w ftp/obla. I was putting out 5.4w/kg but in flat races getting no good results against guys at 350/360+. On really hilly races, I was up there in the lead groups. The longer the climb the better. The races were rarely hilly enough though! Getting in breaks was hard on flat races as the bigger guys had more explosive power than me and w/kg is not a big factor on the flat. Explosive power for 1-2mins, is generally the deciding factor in races.

To the OP
    Seeing your strava rides and avg speeds - I think you will do ok at A4 and if you get that 99kg, going south, you definitely will!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

TCRDublin wrote: »
    ... my FTP is 370 and I'm 67kg.

If that's correct and you're not out of A4 by Easter then you are doing something very very wrong. Lads do the Rás with less than that.

I think people are getting too hung up on FTP, it's just a number for setting your training zones. If you're starting out racing, just enjoy the experience of it, good bad or indifferent. You will have a lot to learn. I'm starting out on my first open road racing season in A4 this year as well. I have been following a structured training plan for months for the 2017 season and my FTP is 370 and I'm 67kg. But that doesn't mean I'm going to win anything. I have to learn the intricacies of racing such as handling / conserving energy / when to attack etc...

Hope I don't meet you at any race in turn up at!

You should progress quickly from A4 with that kind of FTP figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭longshank

niceonetom wrote: »
    If that's correct and you're not out of A4 by Easter then you are doing something very very wrong. Lads do the Rás with less than that.
    I was thinking the same.....if I had those figures I'd be planning a pro career not worrying about A4!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

season and my FTP is 370 and I'm 67kg.

:eek::eek: Fack me. They're awesome figures!

Though actually, they're probably quite similar to mine.... if you switch them around. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

370? - just ride away from the bunch, sayonara suckers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

also to note... it depends on the powermeter you use. one powermeter could be +/- 20 or 30w. the thing is, test on your own PM and then use that for training. and keep it calibrated.

FTP of 370w... i know of one or two lads who have rode off the front of the bunch in A4 with far less than that and time trialled for 35k to win by a minute or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

As pointed out above for flat A4 races it has little relevance, your tactical nous and all out power over a short distance is what it is all about.

I reviewed Strava files recently for the Gleann na Geailt climb in the Lacey Cup 2016 and the hill on the Charleville 2 day Stage 2B for 2015/2016 and one thing for sure is that for me at 78kg to have any chance of hanging on a minimum of 320-330 for 10-12 mins is needed.

So this is 4.2 W/KG for 10-12 mins at A3 standard. It is an absolute minimum which assumes a lower angled power climb (you won't have a chance of hanging on with this level in the Shay Elliot for example), a light setup, a huge amount of wheel sucking and a kind bunch. In many cases on lower angled 10-12 minute climbs in A3 races this will not be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

Some crazy high ftp and weight numbers in this thred, the scales and ftp protocol correct? Pro riders making an assault on a4 this year? If the numbers quoted in this thread are accurate you lads myst be the top riders in the country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 TCRDublin

As pointed out above for flat A4 races it has little relevance, your tactical nous and all out power over a short distance is what it is all about.

I reviewed Strava files recently for the Gleann na Geailt climb in the Lacey Cup 2016 and the hill on the Charleville 2 day Stage 2B for 2015/2016 and one thing for sure is that for me at 78kg to have any chance of hanging on a minimum of 320-330 for 10-12 mins is needed.

So this is 4.2 W/KG for 10-12 mins at A3 standard. It is an absolute minimum which assumes a lower angled power climb (you won't have a chance of hanging on with this level in the Shay Elliot for example), a light setup, a huge amount of wheel sucking and a kind bunch. In many cases on lower angled 10-12 minute climbs in A3 races this will not be enough.

Talk to some of the old school pros (I can think of 1 I have talked to) and ask them about FTP and they'll reply "I dont bother with that sh1t, I just ride my bike". Now granted they were professional, they didn't jump on this metrics bandwagon. At the end of the day, FTP is just a number from which you set training zones. When you register for a race, you aren't given a handicap based on your FTP. Developing a racing brain seems to be the most important thing to succeed in racing! I've been told "Let the races bring you on".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

This method
    dahat wrote: »
    My FTP is done via virtual calculating from a turbo with Traineroad.

Usually gives this result :D
    FTP is 370 and I'm 67kg.

That is a colossal FTP are you sure that's not a max effort spike :D

As stated a flat course bike handling skills and being in the right place at the right time and being able to go full tilt when required out of corners etc is where it's at.

Unless of course you're going for a win in the Des Hanlon or similar then I guess light weight ans sustained effort will be useful but you'll still have to be in the right place att he right time and be able to cover surges.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

If you really do have >5.5 w/kg there's absolutely no need for a brain. Just ride away.

niceonetom wrote: »
    If you really do have >5.5 w/kg there's absolutely no need for a brain. Just ride away.

I can't see it to be honest.

Interesting article on it here.

http://www.stickybottle.com/uncategorized/chris-froomes-data-compared-to-irish-pro-ciaran-powers/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

iwillhtfu wrote: »

That's amazing! Look at fat boy Froome!

And Ciaran Power was no lightweight either. What's with all these lard ar$es?

fat bloke wrote: »
    That's amazing! Look at fat boy Froome!

And Ciaran Power was no lightweight either. What's with all these lard ar$es?

haha you can get away with that the irony of your name is not lost on me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

TCRDublin do you have a strata account? or what's you Garmin account? I'd love to see how you built up your numbers.... What power meter are you using?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Impressive numbers by TCR alright but how the FTP test was conducted and by what power meter/method could tell a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

I am hovering in the 83/84 kg range at the moment. I have tried getting the weight down to under 80kg but I always find my power on the bike (and gym) takes a similar nosedive if I do that so I have resigned myself that that is my natural weight and I will just have to accept it.

I used a garmin single sided pedal power meter to get my 208 FTP. I will try my other bike which has the dual power pedals next time as I am sure the single pedal system has less accuracy.

• Advertisement

I used a garmin single sided pedal power meter to get my 208 FTP. I will try my other bike which has the dual power pedals next time as I am sure the single pedal system has less accuracy.
    I've used various devices that measure power in each leg and I've been pleasantly surprised at how similar the output is in terms of a near 50:50 output in most cases.

The important thing is not so much absolute power as there are bound to be differences between different measuring systems, the only question then being what's is their claim to accuracy. It's actually your own relative performance and showing some improvement that really matters (or to some of us of perhaps more advancing years showing less deterioration!).

This is where I do have a bit of an issue with the Garmin pedal system as I have certainly noticed differences that should not be there, which is suggesting to me the calibration is not sufficiently consistent (for me at least).

Advertisement