Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTP and cycle racing.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭InTheAttic

dahat wrote: »
    Cracking race today, only for wrong line into the Sprint and one gear wrong I'd have gotten a Top 10, well pleased.

Training Peaks gave me a Threshold Value of 305 after today's race.

With some luck and experience I might actually go close to landing a race maybe.

Nice! You must be absolutely flying. My 2 mates couldnt stay in the front group. Both strong vets riders. What weight are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

InTheAttic wrote: »
    Nice! You must be absolutely flying. My 2 mates couldnt stay in the front group. Both strong vets riders. What weight are you?

100kg, hopefully be 96/97 for my target race.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Cracking race today, only for wrong line into the Sprint and one gear wrong I'd have gotten a Top 10, well pleased.

Training Peaks gave me a Threshold Value of 305 after today's race.

With some luck and experience I might actually go close to landing a race maybe.

Well done. Never in doubt...just a matter of how soon!

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Well done. Never in doubt...just a matter of how soon!

Thanks! My confidence is sky high after today which is a tough circuit so hopefully I can use that going forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Might have you seen you today dahat. Fair play on the result. Tried getting up the road to the break a few times but got chased down. Funnily enough no one wanted to chase the break. After last weekends crash my confidence coming into corners was way down and as such I sat up for the tight left hand before the finish. The pace today was pretty handy in fairness. A few surges here and there but nothing major. I was in a decent amount of pain with all the road rash on my leg and the previously dislocated thumb.

• Advertisement

Sarz91 wrote: »
    Might have you seen you today dahat. Fair play on the result. Tried getting up the road to the break a few times but got chased down. Funnily enough no one wanted to chase the break. After last weekends crash my confidence coming into corners was way down and as such I sat up for the tight left hand before the finish. The pace today was pretty handy in fairness. A few surges here and there but nothing major. I was in a decent amount of pain with all the road rash on my leg and the previously dislocated thumb.

Was you with me in tow that chased down the two lads up the road? May have lied when I said I was hanging on!

Agreed on the pace and I feel I may have left a result behind me. That's two races where the pace wasn't so hot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Was you with me in tow that chased down the two lads up the road? May have lied when I said I was hanging on!

Agreed on the pace and I feel I may have left a result behind me. That's two races where the pace wasn't so hot.

God no. I'd never chase a two man break down from a group where there are 5 or 6 lads from the same club. If I can't bridge it myself and leave the group behind I'll look for someone to come with me up the road. With the head wind on the main road before the left to the finish, no one really seemed like they wanted to.

I felt grand coming into the finish and was in the first 15 or so before the turn but sat up due to some serious flashbacks to coming down hard. Dropped a good few places and cruised over the line. Still think the race should have come up the road and taken a right turn up the final bit to the finish.

You heading along to the Des?

Sarz91 wrote: »
    God no. I'd never chase a two man break down from a group where there are 5 or 6 lads from the same club. If I can't bridge it myself and leave the group behind I'll look for someone to come with me up the road. With the head wind on the main road before the left to the finish, no one really seemed like they wanted to.

I felt grand coming into the finish and was in the first 15 or so before the turn but sat up due to some serious flashbacks to coming down hard. Dropped a good few places and cruised over the line. Still think the race should have come up the road and taken a right turn up the final bit to the finish.

You heading along to the Des?

It was a technical alright, right turn would have been safer possibly and a longer Sprint maybe. I should have finished better than I did but so be it.

No that's it for me this weekend, my old arthritic ass won't take two races at this stage.My next port of call is Dungarvan.
    One of the stronger club lads is heading up afaik, assume you are?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

On a racing theme.
    Upgraded my license from LC to A4 couple of weeks ago... any idea how long it usually takes to send out race numbers?
    I assume organisers have some extra if the need arises?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Seadin

Dungarvan route has changed this year I heard. Great race the years I did it.

• Advertisement

Seadin wrote: »
    Dungarvan route has changed this year I heard. Great race the years I did it.

Same circuit just different start/finish which is now at Modeligo and not Colligan.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Sinbad_NI wrote: »
    On a racing theme.
    Upgraded my license from LC to A4 couple of weeks ago... any idea how long it usually takes to send out race numbers?
    I assume organisers have some extra if the need arises?

Yeah you can get numbers on the day for a tenner deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Miklos wrote:
    Yeah you can get numbers on the day for a tenner deposit.

Perfect. Cheers.

Any joy at the Des Hanlon folks?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Same orwell lad who rode off the front for the win in newbridge took the win here too .

sullzz wrote: »
    Same orwell lad who rode off the front for the win in newbridge took the win here too .

That's him upgraded then. Club mate took.2nd in A4 and upgraded also.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭crazy_kenny

Blew up spectacularly on long drag second time around. My power is up this year but my endurance is not where it should be.

Blew up spectacularly on long drag second time around. My power is up this year but my endurance is not where it should be.

Ouch..Plenty to work on then.

I was going grand but got a flat on the long drag which put the tin hat on my race. Shame but that's racing I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Seadin

Miklos wrote: »
    I was going grand but got a flat on the long drag which put the tin hat on my race. Shame but that's racing I guess.

I'm having the same problem as you too.

• Advertisement

There was a fair bit of grit and gravel on the road from all the rain, I heard some lad behind me's tube full on explode.

Do Vo2 sessions to build up your heart and lungs. Endurance won't help with getting you up a drag at a fast pace, if you already have the power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

Was spectating/supporting today; 2nd time up the drag the A4 leaders were travelling harder than the A3s. Serious power in this A4 group but it was still interesting that a group of about 50 came to the finish together; leaving aside the strong juniors, I would reckon that any of the top A4 riders would easily compete in the A3, so those upgraded are probably riders to watch this season.
    Really great to watch the long line of suffering each time up the long drag- very few races in the country are like the 'Des' and another great race today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Was happy to finish it (A3 version). Bit short on miles and popped out the back 400m from the top of the climb on the last lap. Long race. Weather turned out way better than what it was when driving to it. Just 2 incidents in the A3 race I'm aware of where riders came down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

JK.BMC wrote: »
    Was spectating/supporting today; 2nd time up the drag the A4 leaders were travelling harder than the A3s. Serious power in this A4 group but it was still interesting that a group of about 50 came to the finish together; leaving aside the strong juniors, I would reckon that any of the top A4 riders would easily compete in the A3, so those upgraded are probably riders to watch this season.
    Really great to watch the long line of suffering each time up the long drag- very few races in the country are like the 'Des' and another great race today

Guy I drove down with had a mechanical on the first section of second lap and turned around to go back. He was very surprised at how soon he met the A4s. He turned around again and finished the lap with them and about 6 other A3s. The A3 race was fast at times but on several occasions the race stalled to almost a complete standstill. First time I've seen this happen so much in a race.

Early season A4 lads aren't so bad it seems.

Hopefully when it settles down a bit and fileds get a little smaller it will help lads like myself get a pt or two on the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

Guy I drove down with had a mechanical on the first section of second lap and turned around to go back. He was very surprised at how soon he met the A4s. He turned around again and finished the lap with them and about 6 other A3s. The A3 race was fast at times but on several occasions the race stalled to almost a complete standstill. First time I've seen this happen so much in a race.

It was stalled as we soft pedalled at the front, I had a team mate up in the break from 30km, so for about 5k, I soft pedalled and the same with the guys from powerhouse, when they had a few minutes gap, then we were able to lay down again, I was up in the split after that so I dunno what happened, but a team mate was still back there and said a lot of it was just riding around in zone 2-I flatted at 78k, I'd done what I wanted to do and had buried myself, it will pay off hopefully in the next few races.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

It was one tough race that, after a week and half off with flu I knew i was in trouble after the second time up the hill....I got back onto the coat tails of the bunch after a mad descent. Up until that I felt ok, I would challenge a lot of the guys who have been in A3 a while to come back down and get out of A4.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

We had a member 2nd last week in ras luimni and he was 3rd the week before, he's a good rider, but wouldn't be good enough to mix it up in a break or chase group for a3, he'd finish in the pack alright, but so do all decent a3's, it's another thing to be able to attack and hold it or to keep attacking.
    It was one tough race that, after a week and half off with flu I knew i was in trouble after the second time up the hill....I got back onto the coat tails of the bunch after a mad descent. Up until that I felt ok, I would challenge a lot of the guys who have been in A3 a while to come back down and get out of A4.....

• Advertisement

Early season A4 lads aren't so bad it seems.

Hopefully when it settles down a bit and fileds get a little smaller it will help lads like myself get a pt or two on the board.

This is my first season racing ever and I'm in A4. The more I watch the results in A4, the more sceptical I am of A4 'settling down'. I call bullsh1t on that for the reason that there are a lot of fellas in A4 being coached / training on power and this is resulting in some well trained and powerful riders. The entire A4 group is just going to get stronger with the open races and as the club leagues will be starting shortly. Not sure anyone will agree, but I think the corollary is that it will be harder and harder to get out of it. I know I'm a strong rider myself with very good power. I haven't got my 'racing legs' just yet, but I will have them shortly enough. So will a lot of the other lads in A4. I wonder what the solution is - A new A5 category (will probably never happen)? More points needed to get out of A4? I don't know the answer.

Advertisement