Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTP and cycle racing.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Seadin wrote: »
    Nice flat race but finish is lethal especially in A4. If your not in the sprint sit up I would advise from my past experience.

Mayhem to the final bend then again. Another 100 rider field expected if it's flat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Anyone want to form a break on the second lap? I think I'd like to burn myself out and not sit in for the crashes near the end :)

tuxy wrote: »
    Anyone want to form a break on the second lap? I think I'd like to burn myself out and not sit in for the crashes near the end :)

Mmmm, tempted....Be a fair effort to get away there if it's flatish, speeds could be very high.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

dahat wrote: »
    Mmmm, tempted....Be a fair effort to get away there if it's flatish, speeds could be very high.

I did it last year , they stopped the A4 race to let the A1 past , then stopped us again for about 5 mins to let the A3 group through ( who were never going to catch us ).
    The finish wasnt too bad of a sprint , but they did let cars right up to just in front of the finish line which made it dangerous .
    Im visiting relatives down in fermoy , so ill be doing it again this year anyway .

sullzz wrote: »
    I did it last year , they stopped the A4 race to let the A1 past , then stopped us again for about 5 mins to let the A3 group through ( who were never going to catch us ).
    The finish wasnt too bad of a sprint , but they did let cars right up to just in front of the finish line which made it dangerous .
    Im visiting relatives down in fermoy , so ill be doing it again this year anyway .

I heard two lads saying just that in the toilets in the Abbey Court yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Great food after the silver pail.

It can be done then!

Assume they normally get big fields for this? Is it a narrow circuit?

It can be done then!

Assume they normally get big fields for this? Is it a narrow circuit?

Ive only done it last year , i suppose about 80 or so at it .
    Its a narrow enough road leading down to the final left turn , so positioning here is vital , after this left turn its a wide road up to the line , it finishes on a slight drag , last year i had great positioning coming out of the final left turn but misjudged exactly where the line was and opened up my sprint far too soon and got swallowed just before the line .

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

De Bhál wrote: »
    Great food after the silver pail.

Is it a sportive or a bike race?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

TGD wrote: »
    Is it a sportive or a bike race?

A race, and both years i raced there it was the food that impressed me.

• Advertisement

I see they have changed the route for this year , the laps are now 20km laps rather than 9 km .
    This should keep the A4 race moving and no need for the comms to pull it in to let the others through .

Should make it a safer race as well, 9km laps is a crit like race.

Should make it a safer race as well, 9km laps is a crit like race.

Itll make it a totally different race now .
    It throws my plan right out the window now .
    Im going to have to travel down to scout the route the day before , as i dont know the area at all .

Itll make it a totally different race now .
    It throws my plan right out the window now .
    Im going to have to travel down to scout the route the day before , as i dont know the area at all .

Nor do I but I won't be travelling down to scope it out, don't think I'll be at the business end with the likely speed merchants that will be there Sunday.

No need to drive to check it when there is google street view.

tuxy wrote: »
    No need to drive to check it when there is google street view.

Where is the fun in that ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Where is the fun in that ??

Would you not scope it out during the first lap of the race, that's what I do.

Would you not scope it out during the first lap of the race, that's what I do.

I usually do a lap or 2 the morning of the race but this weekend i will be down in Cork visiting the inlaws so it will give me an excuse to escape for a couple of hours on the Saturday .

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Irish Raven

sullzz wrote:
    I see they have changed the route for this year , the laps are now 20km laps rather than 9 km . This should keep the A4 race moving and no need for the comms to pull it in to let the others through .

This has always been the route for this race. Last year it was cancelled because of weather.

The 9km loop is the race circuit which fermoy also hold in August!! And the one inwhich the a4 group got stopped and that!

Fermoy also run a league race on tuesday nights on a shorter 5km circuit. Great training!!

This has always been the route for this race. Last year it was cancelled because of weather.

The 9km loop is the race circuit which fermoy also hold in August!! And the one inwhich the a4 group got stopped and that!

Fermoy also run a league race on tuesday nights on a shorter 5km circuit. Great training!!

The one i did last year was called the silver pail gp .
    I know fermoy cc host another race later in the year it has shorter laps , its a HC race in castlelyons .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Irish Raven

sullzz wrote:
    The one i did last year was called the silver pail gp . I know fermoy cc host another race later in the year it has shorter laps , its a HC race in castlelyons .

Fermoy hold 3 races....the HC is the munster champs...the august one is the 9km loop (which was stopped because the a1 bunch caught them) and the 20km loop (which was postponed last year due to weather).... they have always sat that way in the season, with the 20km one around this time of year, and the 9km loop in August! Ive placed in both last two years!

Fermoy hold 3 races....the HC is the munster champs...the august one is the 9km loop (which was stopped because the a1 bunch caught them) and the 20km loop (which was postponed last year due to weather).... they have always sat that way in the season, with the 20km one around this time of year, and the 9km loop in August! Ive placed in both last two years!
    Ah right , any reports from previous years on the one this weekend ?
    What is the course like etc .

Another Helter skelter 100 rider A4 in Fermoy earlier...

No breakaway, bunch Sprint and managed to haul my old ass into 4th spot, delighted as I was well behind when the Sprint started but powered up to get 4th. First points in my 4th race..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

No breakaway, bunch Sprint and managed to haul my old ass into 4th spot, delighted as I was well behind when the Sprint started but powered up to get 4th. First points in my 4th race..

Well done!!

Well done , good result . I did the same race but made a mess of it . Started without my bottle of water and paid the price . Blew up on the short drag at the start of the last lap .

Well done , good result . I did the same race but made a mess of it . Started without my bottle of water and paid the price . Blew up on the short drag at the start of the last lap .

Couple of hairy moment's here n there with traffic and a crash near the finish which seems to be standard, lucky to be just ahead of it and nearly lost all momentum twice so to get going and finish well I was happy with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Seadin

Anyone have any knowledge with Ras an Laois next weekend? Haven't done it before. Is it flat draggy or hilly? Might try give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Seadin wrote:
    Anyone have any knowledge with Ras an Laois next weekend? Haven't done it before. Is it flat draggy or hilly? Might try give it a go.

Just Google name of the race, strava and 2016 and it is there for you to make up your own mind what it is like.

Seadin wrote: »

Flat with 1 small drag each lap , fast finishing on a wide road off course .
    It will have huge numbers this weekend and could make for a messy race .

• Advertisement

Flat with 1 small drag each lap , fast finishing on a wide road off course .
    It will have huge numbers this weekend and could make for a messy race .

I would expect a 100 rider field in most races this year at this stage.Number limitations must come into play at some stage going forward imo.

I am stone mad to go as i think it will suit me but it being Easter Sunday n that i can't.

Advertisement