Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTP and cycle racing.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Anyone coming to Clonmel this weekend?

One day 3 Stage GP...totally doesn't suit me but giving it a go as it's local.

tuxy wrote: »
    The lumpy ones are the safe and interesting races. Splits the field apart nicely so it doesn't finish in the usual a4 sprint.

Not as lumpy as it looked and was the usual Sprint finish, uphill though.
    Race was far too short at 51km and another lap onto it would have answered it a decent race on a nice course imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭crazy_kenny

dahat wrote: »
    Anyone coming to Clonmel this weekend?

One day 3 Stage GP...totally doesn't suit me but giving it a go as it's local.

Heading up myself. The hill climb tt on tickoncor will be an interesting finish.

Heading up myself. The hill climb tt on tickoncor will be an interesting finish.

It is nowhere near as bad as last year's Hill TT imo but with two tough races on the legs it could be very tough.
    Stage 2 is horrendous for me, not looking forward to it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Farloo

Is the TT not the same as last year? Anyone any advice from last year as thinking of going this year? Sounds like a tough day!

• Advertisement

Farloo wrote: »
    Is the TT not the same as last year? Anyone any advice from last year as thinking of going this year? Sounds like a tough day!

No,it's the first segment on Tickincor this year which is near this year's HQ, Ferryhouse.
    https://www.strava.com/segments/7885711 — Tickincor start section

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Not as lumpy as it looked and was the usual Sprint finish, uphill though.
    Race was far too short at 51km and another lap onto it would have answered it a decent race on a nice course imo.

Yes another lap was needed and the ramp at the end was far too short to slit things up.
    The hill after the narrow bridge split things up much better but the bunch that got over the top first just sat up and stopped riding as soon as the climb was over. In hindsight I should have attacked on the last lap after that hill.

tuxy wrote: »
    Yes another lap was needed and the ramp at the end was far too short to slit things up.
    The hill after the narrow bridge split things up much better but the bunch that got over the top first just sat up and stopped riding as soon as the climb was over. In hindsight I should have attacked on the last lap after that hill.

Probably was the place to attack alright although there was a headwind to deal with after that point.

An oppourtunity was lost i feel as i knew the lad that won it and he just chased an late lone attack then sailed past him and held to the line.
    After looking at the finish i accepted my fate to early and possibly could have got going for a late Top 10 rattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

niceonetom wrote: »
    Just to fill you in on this guy...now A1 and that was after 14 weeks of racing!!...he was 3rd in his first A2 race in Bohermeen..great attitude..dedicated..just started training last winter.... Needs a lot more kms in the legs to compete with the big boys but give him another few seasons and hopefully he will be a contender as he is only 24.. Big congrats Shane and best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

sy wrote: »
    Just to fill you in on this guy...now A1 and that was after 14 weeks of racing!!...he was 3rd in his first A2 race in Bohermeen..great attitude..dedicated..just started training last winter.... Needs a lot more kms in the legs to compete with the big boys but give him another few seasons and hopefully he will be a contender as he is only 24.. Big congrats Shane and best of luck.

When he quoted his FTP (first page of this thread) and it worked out as 5.5W/KG many including myself were incredulous. Looks now like those figures are the real deal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

sy wrote: »

Rode against him a few times this year. Sound lad. I have a bit of catching up to do but hope to be back racing against him soon. Serious power. It also goes to show figures don't mean everything. As far as I know he only uses HR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

When he quoted his FTP (first page of this thread) and it worked out as 5.5W/KG many including myself were incredulous. Looks now like those figures are the real deal

I dunno if Shane and TCR Dublin are the same person to be honest. I could be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Doc07

niceonetom wrote: »
    If you really do have >5.5 w/kg there's absolutely no need for a brain. Just ride away.

....and that's just what he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Sarz91 wrote: »
    I dunno if Shane and TCR Dublin are the same person to be honest. I could be wrong though.
    They are not

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

....Race was far too short at 51km ..

The race is what it is - that's the race you have to race. No point in excuses.

TGD wrote: »
    The race is what it is - that's the race you have to race. No point in excuses.

It was a constructive comment to improve the race which was the general feeling of a few lads who were there that day.

Munster Road race held in Blarneu on June 18th, anyone raced this course before?

Eddie Tobin in Buncloady weekend coming, one long drag but course is described as "challenging" , anyone race this before?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Eddie Tobin in Buncloady weekend coming, one long drag but course is described as "challenging" , anyone race this before?
    Not raced it before but plan too. Heard positive things from club members about the climb at the finish helping pull the field apart, if people push it on the last lap it should be a nice safe finish. The decent is narrow and fast but again, reports are the bunch were very well behaved in previous years

Caveat: Based on the reports of others.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Not raced it before but plan too. Heard positive things from club members about the climb at the finish helping pull the field apart, if people push it on the last lap it should be a nice safe finish. The decent is narrow and fast but again, reports are the bunch were very well behaved in previous years

Caveat: Based on the reports of others.

Trying to get some reports myself about it. A family day out has been cancelled so it looks like I might head here as I'm feeling good just now.
    Doesn't sound too bad from your report.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Stevieg2009

Trying to get some reports myself about it. A family day out has been cancelled so it looks like I might head here as I'm feeling good just now.
    Doesn't sound too bad from your report.

Did it last year good course brute of a finish there will be no big bunch gallop that's for sure...

Did it last year good course brute of a finish there will be no big bunch gallop that's for sure...

Brute? Not one for a speed guy like myself then.. ah well I'll go anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Brute? Not one for a speed guy like myself then.. ah well I'll go anyway!

Though you were starting to sprout climbing legs..

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Though you were starting to sprout climbing legs..

A bit but a gallop up a hill is another issue altogether. A power climb I can handle but a "brute" is a different story.

A bit but a gallop up a hill is another issue altogether. A power climb I can handle but a "brute" is a different story.

Its not that bad, come along.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I hear you. You can't be sure it would be a bunch sprint. Go out and ride aggressive, hopefully get in a group before it and power up the final climb. You may surprise yourself from a group!

Its not that bad, come along.

I'm trying to scare him off 😉

I'm trying to scare him off 😉

The more wheels there, the more I can hang onto. I have found my tactic of going off the front from the gun to be counterproductive to results, that and my fitness.

The more wheels there, the more I can hang onto. I have found my tactic of going off the front from the gun to be counterproductive to results, that and my fitness.

As they say Race hard but Race Smart,I can manage the hard bit but not the smart bit

• Advertisement

I'm finding that jumping off in the last km or further is merely leading to frustration and being caught last few yards.

I'll be there and watch for the idiot jumping off too early or jump on my wheel to get ya home!

Advertisement