Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTP and cycle racing.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    I hear you. You can't be sure it would be a bunch sprint. Go out and ride aggressive, hopefully get in a group before it and power up the final climb. You may surprise yourself from a group!

I'll always ride agressive which isnt always the best tactic but last week of found sitting too far back worked against me on the whore of a hill in Blarney.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

As they say Race hard but Race Smart,I can manage the hard bit but not the smart bit
    Great to have company in the low racing IQ stakes
    dahat wrote: »
    I'm finding that jumping off in the last km or further is merely leading to frustration and being caught last few yards.

I'll be there and watch for the idiot jumping off too early or jump on my wheel to get ya home!
    He will be on a Stevens bike :pac:

CramCycle wrote: »
    Great to have company in the low racing IQ stakes

He will be on a Stevens bike :pac:

I'll be on a TCR...dying on the hill.or losing ground on the desent!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

I'll be on a TCR...dying on the hill.or losing ground on the desent!!!

Why don't the three of you work together off the front? Only way I ever got results in A4 was off the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Irish Raven

dahat wrote:
    I'm finding that jumping off in the last km or further is merely leading to frustration and being caught last few yards.

Gotta be gone long before the last km to stay away dude!!

• Advertisement

Gotta be gone long before the last km to stay away dude!!

As I'm finding out, 1st season. Been trying different things in club leagues and Sportive to test myself and hopefully all will come together someday.

Sarz91 wrote: »
    Why don't the three of you work together off the front? Only way I ever got results in A4 was off the front.

I'll get a result soon just need to keep composed at the final.
    From what I know of the course it looks like a break may stick especially over 80km or so

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I'll always ride agressive which isnt always the best tactic but last week of found sitting too far back worked against me on the whore of a hill in Blarney.

Always ride near the front (if you can) before a hill. If you struggle, you may still be at the back by the top. Where it's laps, always look to see where it's best to be positioned before a key corner / drag or hill and take that position in advance next lap.

It's hard not to be agressive if your goal is to get away and race positive. It's just sometimes better to let others jump first and then try and cross.

It's a long time since I raced so I am not familiar with what's currently happening in races (negative tactics -chasing everything etc). When I did race, all my results were off the front in groups. I have been in good breaks that got caught, chased down breaks only to miss the crucial break. Ironically, probably my best result came on a day I missed the winning break, then hit a climb down your way (Mahon Falls), rode off the front of the bunch, nearly caught the break on the hill and ended up with the guys dropped from the break - chased back to Carrick plus three laps but never caught. All ahead of me were Cat A /International riders. I was Cat B. I had wings that day! You just never know when a result is there. Memory lane- good memories!

Anyway, if you are as strong as you seem to be, your results will come! From one slugger to another– keep trying and you will learn the moves that have more hope than others and where it's best to go. Last km or so is too late unless you have massive power for one or two minutes.

Racing and performance is far from an accurate or predictable science though.

dahat wrote:
    As I'm finding out, 1st season. Been trying different things in club leagues and Sportive to test myself and hopefully all will come together someday.

Great to hear....key with attacking is commitment, never attack either from head of bunch, and you gotta play all your cards for it to stick....what ive done in a4 flat races, and also a3 races, and has worked is....commit to a time, no looking back, 5 mins eyeballs out, then look behind, no sign of bunch give it another 3mins, look around, still no sign, then steady hard....if you see bunch, ease up!!

Some people attack for 30 secs n complain when they brought bac...or after boost about attacking!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Anyone have any info on Ballivor on Saturday? CI has it as 08:00 start but I vaguely remember it being handicapped and starting at 19:00. Is this still the case? Any course info?

• Advertisement

Wexford cancelled and rightly so.

De Ronde CC race on same day but it looks like a right lumpy mess, 16.6km with 254m per lap, a leg killer.

dahat wrote:
    De Ronde CC race on same day but it looks like a right lumpy mess, 16.6km with 254m per lap, a leg killer.

Give it a lash....if your form is as good a you say, you should smash the ronde route!! Proper classics feel to the course!!

Give it a lash....if your form is as good a you say, you should smash the ronde route!! Proper classics feel to the course!!

Classics feel? Elaborate further???

dahat wrote:
    Classics feel? Elaborate further???

Rolling course, tough kicks, great descents, a course that really sorts out the stongest.....sand bagging doesnt work on this circuit!!

Its the infamous training and later race course of one of irelands best ever ameatur cyclists...now working with a pro Irish team....

And also the race where Eddie Dunbar entered into domestic racing folklore!

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Raymzor

Sarz91 wrote: »
    Anyone have any info on Ballivor on Saturday? CI has it as 08:00 start but I vaguely remember it being handicapped and starting at 19:00. Is this still the case? Any course info?[/quotE

The is on an 18km circuit which is flat. Strava segment is Ballivor GP. Race is handicapped-3 laps. Sign on is in the village in the usual pub. Race starts at 7.15pm.

Rolling course, tough kicks, great descents, a course that really sorts out the stongest.....sand bagging doesnt work on this circuit!!

Its the infamous training and later race course of one of irelands best ever ameatur cyclists...now working with a pro Irish team....

And also the race where Eddie Dunbar entered into domestic racing folklore!

Sounds like a proper test and a whole load of suffering. Not my forte these courses but it may present a chance for some points if I can hang on in till the 3rd lap.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Anyone signing up for the Omagh 3 Day? My club will hopefully entering a te, should be good craic. I've never done a stage race before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

Interested to hear attitudes to the second part of the season from those whose goals were the Nationals and/or Ras. I'd imagine it feels like a long season right now. In fairness though there seems a fair whack of July and August racing

dahat wrote:
    Sounds like a proper test and a whole load of suffering. Not my forte these courses but it may present a chance for some points if I can hang on in till the 3rd lap.

Great chance to get points!! Also there will be a great spread put on and good
    Buzz around the place!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

seen the Connacht 2 day is back on as well for A4s only in Cong. same weekend as Omagh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Miklos wrote:
    Anyone signing up for the Omagh 3 Day? My club will hopefully entering a te, should be good craic. I've never done a stage race before.

Aye same here. Other club guys saying it's always really well run event so looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭foxer3640

Miklos wrote: »

Won a stage of this a few years ago. Brilliant weekend and a great experience.

De Ronde Classic....out the back after half a lap n couldn't get back on, not my course not my day (won't be back there).... Great set up by the club though.

Anyone do the Moynalty GP yesterday? The A4 race was very well behaved, pretty small bunch (~50 I think) with a very selective climb two thirds into each lap. Aside from a dodgy move from a lead car in the final it was a really safe race, and I was delighted to place 7th!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

bad smash in Loughrea A4. hope all are ok. ive done that race before as an A4 and A1,2,3 and i dont know why they cant finish the race on the hill 500m before the pub. A1-3 race was cancelled after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Miklos wrote: »
    Anyone do the Moynalty GP yesterday? The A4 race was very well behaved, pretty small bunch (~50 I think) with a very selective climb two thirds into each lap. Aside from a dodgy move from a lead car in the final it was a really safe race, and I was delighted to place 7th!

Well done on the 7th place .
    I decided to give that one a miss because of the dodgy finish last year , im not a fan of downhill finishes with speed ramps .
    I decided to go to the seven springs gp in loughrea instead .
    I ended up in a ditch with 6km to go after i swerved to avoid a lad who came down on the last left hand turn . I managed to get back onto the bunch , mainly because nobody was riding at the front . This led to absolute carnage at the finish with 1 lad in a serious way . The A1/2/3 race needed to be called of as no ambulances available .
    I saw the video of the crash afterwards and the lad who caused it should get a permanent ban .
    It was such a negative race throughout with only a handful of us doing any turns at the front .
    People constantly say its a problem with short , flat races , but common sense should prevail .

sullzz wrote: »
    I decided to give that one a miss because of the dodgy finish last year , im not a fan of downhill finishes with speed ramps .
    I ended up in a ditch with 6km to go after i swerved to avoid a lad who came down on the last left hand turn . I managed to get back onto the bunch , mainly because nobody was riding at the front . This led to absolute carnage at the finish with 1 lad in a serious way . The A1/2/3 race needed to be called of as no ambulances available .
    I saw the video of the crash afterwards and the lad who caused it should get a permanent ban .
    It was such a negative race throughout with only a handful of us doing any turns at the front .
    People constantly say its a problem with short , flat races , but common sense should prevail .

Yeah, going into the race I thought it was going to be very dodgy but the bunch was seriously reduced in the final so it wasn't too bad. Sorry to hear about your spill, sounds like you dodged a bullet!

thekooman wrote: »
    bad smash in Loughrea A4. hope all are ok. ive done that race before as an A4 and A1,2,3 and i dont know why they cant finish the race on the hill 500m before the pub. A1-3 race was cancelled after.

From Strava it sounded like a right pile up tbh. Know of the lad that won it and he is quite strong tbh and he well deserved the upgrade to A3.

sullzz wrote: »
    It was such a negative race throughout with only a handful of us doing any turns at the front

Standard A4 problems and really disappointed with A4 in that sense iny first year of racing. Very little 'racing" as such and easy to get through A4 with very little racing knowledge built up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

From Strava it sounded like a right pile up tbh. Know of the lad that won it and he is quite strong tbh and he well deserved the upgrade to A3.

Yeah i was glad to see he got the win , he did some work during the race , so deserved to come away with something .

Advertisement