Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTP and cycle racing.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭crazy_kenny

sullzz wrote: »
    Youre not sexist at all no ?

No not at all, just a bit put out at a4 race not being the same length as the other races. People will be whinging then if there is a crash in the a4 final blocking the road for the other races coming through. Whereas if the a4 finished last the road would be clear for the carnage.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Aside from the casual sexism :rolleyes: I don't think there's a separate women's race in Oldcastle from my reading? We're mixed in with A3's and Juniors from my reading.

Anyone doing Omagh tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Stevieg2009

dahat wrote: »
    No problem taking our cash though.

The only answer to it lads is stay at home keep your money in your pocket

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Or get results and go up to a3 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

The only answer to it lads is stay at home keep your money in your pocket

Sure after I got destroyed tonight by A2/A3 riders I might just do that if I make A3!

My FTP updated to 352 according to that "Whats my FTP" app for Garmin devices, DC rainmaker has this as pretty accurate. If I could keep that FTP and lose a hape of kgs I'll be able to stay with an A3 bunch at least once next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

nee wrote: »

Not me, heading to the Connaught 2 day, I would have gone to Omagh but didn't realise it was for A4s too. It is odd there are 2 stage races on the same weekend.

Even worse that two of the few, oh so few women's races are on the same weekend - the Crit Nationals in Limerick (which I would definitely have done) and Omagh, which I heard about first so now guesting on another team. Sake!

Even worse that two of the few, oh so few women's races are on the same weekend - the Crit Nationals in Limerick (which I would definitely have done) and Omagh, which I heard about first so now guesting on another team. Sake!

Omagh will be a good exp though! A stage race is great to bring you up a level in strength and bunch riding.

Chumpski wrote: »
    Omagh will be a good exp though! A stage race is great to bring you up a level in strength and bunch riding.

Aye, it'll be fun. Not a huge fan of road racing, it's a necessary evil. It's grand but I do it purely to bring on my pursuit. Road goes on for so long, so boring :P :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Aye, it'll be fun. Not a huge fan of road racing, it's a necessary evil. It's grand but I do it purely to bring on my pursuit. Road goes on for so long, so boring :P :pac:

b.jpg.0a4338dc11d62100edc7b1480a3a689a.jpg

• Advertisement

Not me, heading to the Connaught 2 day, I would have gone to Omagh but didn't realise it was for A4s too. It is odd there are 2 stage races on the same weekend.

See ye in Connaught

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Stevieg2009

Sure after I got destroyed tonight by A2/A3 riders I might just do that if I make A3!

My FTP updated to 352 according to that "Whats my FTP" app for Garmin devices, DC rainmaker has this as pretty accurate. If I could keep that FTP and lose a hape of kgs I'll be able to stay with an A3 bunch at least once next season.

Ah sure what doesn't kill you makes you stronger💪🚴🏻

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

RobFowl wrote: »
    Or get results and go up to a3 ?

How's that working out for you!?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Midweek racing is usually at a far higher intensity than open weekend racing if you are racing at A3/A4 levels.

And as regards staying with the bunch in A3 it all comes down to the course and time of year (in my experience post ras summer A3 races are usually far handier than early season). In recent flat races in Tipperary and Athlone the A4s were as fast as or faster than the A3s.

Okay, if you're a big guy you may struggle in the likes of the Lacey Cup or Broadford in Limerick but in these races you usually find that come the first good hill the "bunch" is less than half the size of the original field and you're not alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

http://dmk84h9woy8d5.cloudfront.net/images/uploads/froome_inpost_3450x298.png

This lad 10kgs and kept all his power...

https://realmealrevolution.com/real-thinking/chris-froome-won-his-third-tour-de-france-title-in-four-years-following-a-l

Nice story if you like fairy tales

You can do a lot of lchf, but putting out high power at elite level isn't one of them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

Connaught isnt a stage race... all individual races which is stupid. so anyone who is a good TT-er can forget the road race and be fresh for the TT! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

thekooman wrote: »
    Connaught isnt a stage race... all individual races which is stupid. so anyone who is a good TT-er can forget the road race and be fresh for the TT! :rolleyes:

I can't get my head around why they're doing it like that, did they not want to pay to have the timing equipment or something?

RobFowl wrote: »
    b.jpg.0a4338dc11d62100edc7b1480a3a689a.jpg

Track rules mmkay?!

Midweek racing is usually at a far higher intensity than open weekend racing if you are racing at A3/A4 levels.

And as regards staying with the bunch in A3 it all comes down to the course and time of year (in my experience post ras summer A3 races are usually far handier than early season). In recent flat races in Tipperary and Athlone the A4s were as fast as or faster than the A3s.

Okay, if you're a big guy you may struggle in the likes of the Lacey Cup or Broadford in Limerick but in these races you usually find that come the first good hill the "bunch" is less than half the size of the original field and you're not alone.

It was a bit of an eye opener to be in the red so early in a race.
    If I race A3 it will be selective racing rather than a near blanket attendance for A4 races.

ford2600 wrote: »
    http://dmk84h9woy8d5.cloudfront.net/images/uploads/froome_inpost_3450x298.png

This lad 10kgs and kept all his power...

https://realmealrevolution.com/real-thinking/chris-froome-won-his-third-tour-de-france-title-in-four-years-following-a-l

Nice story if you like fairy tales

You can do a lot of lchf, but putting out high power at elite level isn't one of them

Wheat based products and high carb stuff is.my biggest downfall and will need to be looked at it in a serious way but it's about deciding where I wanna go and what's attainable given I'm 40 now.
    A4 racing seems an easier way to race really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

nee wrote:

Aye, giving it a lash.
    No delusions of grandeur but hoping for a good couple of days.

thekooman wrote: »

Yeah all individual races, but theres a GC for those that enter all the events.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

It was a bit of an eye opener to be in the red so early in a race.

That's normal and the point of club races, I was in the red within 5-10 minutes yesterday evening too but knew the intensity would drop as guys tire trying to jump away. You only have an hour so guys go hell for leather. They are great training, you could miss a year of open races but still improve or keep fitness by doing these.

That's normal and the point of club races, I was in the red within 5-10 minutes yesterday evening too but knew the intensity would drop as guys tire trying to jump away. You only have an hour so guys go hell for leather. They are great training, you could miss a year of open races but still improve or keep fitness by doing these.

Yeah i was sickened last night and was wgoing to look to get put back into Cat2 but i think i'll try staying in scratch group for the 5weeks.

Sure a bit of suffering will do me good in the end.....:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Sure the whole point of club races is to turn yourself inside out for an hour!

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Irish Raven

dahat wrote:
    Yeah i was sickened last night and was wgoing to look to get put back into Cat2 but i think i'll try staying in scratch group for the 5weeks.

With your ftp being that high, regardless of weight.. you should have no problem staying with any a3 bunch regardless of course, would be pretty solid in a2 too...regarding club races, key to staying in is the warm up, if your a bigger dude, warm up is key, your ftp will allow you to have no problem staying put if your warmed up correctly....even an hour warm up may be needed....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭py

Wheat based products and high carb stuff is.my biggest downfall and will need to be looked at it in a serious way but it's about deciding where I wanna go and what's attainable given I'm 40 now.
    A4 racing seems an easier way to race really.

I'm in the same boat as you, ~100Kg, love a good bite to eat but it just doesn't translate well to cycling. Myfitnesspal.com has helped me a good bit and while I dip in and out of using it, I've dropped almost 20Kg, with the same again to come off but going to be that bit more commitment from me required. I've changed the type of foods I eat incrementally (corn flakes to weetabix to porridge (all with milk..sometimes with sugar :rolleyes: ) to now just water with porridge plus a banana) as making big changes straight off hasn't worked for me before. A lot of people talk about eating the right foods but not enough emphasis is put on the timing and delivery of it as it's just as important.

With your ftp being that high, regardless of weight.. you should have no problem staying with any a3 bunch regardless of course, would be pretty solid in a2 too...regarding club races, key to staying in is the warm up, if your a bigger dude, warm up is key, your ftp will allow you to have no problem staying put if your warmed up correctly....even an hour warm up may be needed....

Warm up is something i had considered was at fault last night, i cycled 15km at a steady pace to the course but was there 25mins before the start so had likely cooled down somewhat.

My weight of 100kgs will naturally make me slower climbing or using higher watts to get over a climb with lighter lads which will lead to earlier fatigue in a race. An adjustment of 10kgs over the winter will hopefully make me more efficent in watt usage on climbs.

py wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat as you, ~100Kg, love a good bite to eat but it just doesn't translate well to cycling. Myfitnesspal.com has helped me a good bit and while I dip in and out of using it, I've dropped almost 20Kg, with the same again to come off but going to be that bit more commitment from me required. I've changed the type of foods I eat incrementally (corn flakes to weetabix to porridge (all with milk..sometimes with sugar :rolleyes: ) to now just water with porridge plus a banana) as making big changes straight off hasn't worked for me before. A lot of people talk about eating the right foods but not enough emphasis is put on the timing and delivery of it as it's just as important.

I totally agree with drastic changes not working long term, been there before. I will be looking to achieve something more attainable long term that won't have me licking the plate after each meal.
    MFP is an excellent tool and something i should revisit with attention payed to foods that will aid weight loss over a sustained period.

• Advertisement

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    How's that working out for you!?!?!

As the highest ranked rider in the club only one good result away ;)

I'll give you a few hints over the weekend ...

Advertisement