Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTP and cycle racing.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

There was a reasonable size group of very strong guys chasing him on the final stage and he held them off for about 6 miles before crossing the line. Seriously impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

dahat wrote: »
    Sure after I got destroyed tonight by A2/A3 riders I might just do that if I make A3!

My FTP updated to 352 according to that "Whats my FTP" app for Garmin devices, DC rainmaker has this as pretty accurate. If I could keep that FTP and lose a hape of kgs I'll be able to stay with an A3 bunch at least once next season.

Same course tonight and went alot better, last week must have been just a bad day on the bike.
    Confidence resorted with two chances left for me to get my 2pts for A3.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

Same course tonight and went alot better, last week must have been just a bad day on the bike.
    Confidence resorted with two chances left for me to get my 2pts for A3.

With that FTP you should be able win a Cat 3 race handy enough at racing weight

TGD wrote: »
    With that FTP you should be able win a Cat 3 race handy enough at racing weight

This is my problem, watts/kg is my downfall.

Question,

If I finish on 13pts this season could I choose to forfeit those pts and stay A4?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Question,

If I finish on 13pts this season could I choose to forfeit those pts and stay A4?

Nope , now will ye feck off out of A4 and give us a break ðŸ˜

sullzz wrote: »
    Nope , now will ye feck off out of A4 and give us a break ðŸ˜

Ah feck...I was hoping to give away a few for Xmas even!!!!

Ah feck...I was hoping to give away a few for Xmas even!!!!

Id happily take a few off you !! Itd be the only way im going to get any

Id happily take a few off you !! Itd be the only way im going to get any

You'll be fine,just find a good wheel or two, lucky breaks do happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Seadin

You'll be fine,just find a good wheel or two, lucky breaks do happen.

I need 2 points to get up to A2. The hardest 2 points I will earn.

• Advertisement

Seadin wrote: »
    I need 2 points to get up to A2. The hardest 2 points I will earn.

I have two chances left, avoiding the Wexford & Charleville events to try grab them. Hopefully I will but don't mind waiting till early next year if needs be.

I have two chances left, avoiding the Wexford & Charleville events to try grab them. Hopefully I will but don't mind waiting till early next year if needs be.

What races have you got left Dahat . Only a couple of left myself apart from Wexford .

What races have you got left Dahat . Only a couple of left myself apart from Wexford .

Shannon and somewhere week after that,can't remember!!!
    Probably should try a 3 or 2 day but think I could win another A4 before season end tbh. Legs are still good and should be freshened up a little by Sunday week.
    50km race brings it's own problems but I'll be handy all way though to hopefully avoid problems.
    Assume you'll be there as well?

Shannon and somewhere week after that,can't remember!!!
    Probably should try a 3 or 2 day but think I could win another A4 before season end tbh. Legs are still good and should be freshened up a little by Sunday week.
    50km race brings it's own problems but I'll be handy all way though to hopefully avoid problems.
    Assume you'll be there as well?
    I think my ones are , collins christie in kilmessan on sunday , wexford 2day and then finish up with traders cup in Dundalk .

I think my ones are , collins christie in kilmessan on sunday , wexford 2day and then finish up with traders cup in Dundalk .

I could travel Lenster way if I get desperate but I'm really hoping to nab a top 6 in either race I go to.
    Is the Collins Christen same course as the Kilmessan crash fest earlier this year?

I could travel Lenster way if I get desperate but I'm really hoping to nab a top 6 in either race I go to.
    Is the Collins Christen same course as the Kilmessan crash fest earlier this year?

No , this one is pan flat , it has a bit of a reputation for crashes though .

Pure speed then, sounds tempting but risky, best avoided for me I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Raymzor

Don't recall any crashes in the last 3 years I competed in A4 at that race.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Stevieg2009

Raymzor wrote: »
    Don't recall any crashes in the last 3 years I competed in A4 at that race.

I agree didn't see crashes in this race in recent years very tight circuit but

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I like that Kilmessan circuit. Same as others say I didn't see any crashes there in the past few years.
    Managed 4th there a couple of years ago and very nice crystal latte cups were the prize.
    Much more appreciated than cash ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Can happily confirm there was no headline grabbing A4 crashfest on Sunday. Fast race, I worked hard, got in a break, got caught, went again at the end but was goosed at that stage.

The circuit isn't very testing so there was the usual swarming of people who've been sitting in all day at the end.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Anyone do Bainbridge last Saturday? Toughest course I've ever done. But brilliant.

Miklos wrote: »
    Can happily confirm there was no headline grabbing A4 crashfest on Sunday. Fast race, I worked hard, got in a break, got caught, went again at the end but was goosed at that stage.

The circuit isn't very testing so there was the usual swarming of people who've been sitting in all day at the end.

Yeah I think I went with you a couple of times but never a hope of getting away on that track a few headbangers in it but safe enough sprint in the end a dropped chain caused a few issues and a badly parked transit but all in all no complaints got a bit of diesel money Saturday evening in the gallop so not a bad weekend that was a fast spin 45avg

Anybody heading to Wexford?

Miklos wrote: »

Not an ideal place to try a break then maybe? Should have sat handy and see how things went maybe?
    Avg speed was 40km or so according to a few people I looked at on Strava, thought it might have been quicker if it was flat tbh.

Anybody heading to Wexford?

Not me, heading to Shannon to try get two pts for A3 and call it a good season for me. I don't know anything about the course so it's a gamble really.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Not an ideal place to try a break then maybe? Should have sat handy and see how things went maybe?
    Avg speed was 40km or so according to a few people I looked at on Strava, thought it might have been quicker if it was flat tbh.

Yeah wasn't the best idea but to be honest the other option is a pretty boring way to spend an hour and a half.

Half thinking of giving the Shannon race a go but it's a long way from Dublin.
    Yeah I think I went with you a couple of times but never a hope of getting away on that track a few headbangers in it but safe enough sprint in the end a dropped chain caused a few issues and a badly parked transit but all in all no complaints got a bit of diesel money Saturday evening in the gallop so not a bad weekend that was a fast spin 45avg

Couple of the usual suspect headbangers alright!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

The Shannon race is a long way from Dublin to ride for little over an hour !
    That said not a whole lot left ....

RobFowl wrote: »
    The Shannon race is a long way from Dublin to ride for little over an hour !
    That said not a whole lot left ....

Too far lads, best stay at home and relax, forecast is poor as well. :pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Not me, heading to Shannon to try get two pts for A3 and call it a good season for me. I don't know anything about the course so it's a gamble really.

Was chatting a few lads I know down there who are part of the promoting club a good test they reckon I'd say you'll get the result you need:)

Advertisement