Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTP and cycle racing.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Was chatting a few lads I know down there who are part of the promoting club a good test they reckon I'd say you'll get the result you need:)

Looks like a nice little ramp to the line, such a finish suited me in Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

dahat wrote: »
    Looks like a nice little ramp to the line, such a finish suited me in Shannon.

No big climbs but definitely not flat. Its a rolling course with plenty of twists and turns on the back section:

https://www.strava.com/activities/684146558

The finish is about half way up the main drag

No big climbs but definitely not flat. Its a rolling course with plenty of twists and turns on the back section:

7 roundabouts on it apparently?? Rolling is good as it may shake it up, definately beats flat courses.
    A rolling course could tempt a breakaway which could help with the pace of the race though I won't be chasing anything early doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

Last year the A4 was won by a solo breakaway from 30km out. Winner is now A1 mind you ...

Last year the A4 was won by a solo breakaway from 30km out. Winner is now A1 mind you ...

What a way to win a race!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

What a way to win a race!

yep - he's a clubmate of mine and super strong. I was on his wheel on the climb with 2 laps to go when he went away. No way I could hold on and I pretty much knew we wouldn't see him again.

yep - he's a clubmate of mine and super strong. I was on his wheel on the climb with 2 laps to go when he went away. No way I could hold on and I pretty much knew we wouldn't see him again.

Hopefully no lads like him there Sunday.

7 roundabouts on it apparently??.

Can't remember exact number but there are quite a few. Most are clustered leading in to the finish

Can't remember exact number but there are quite a few. Most are clustered leading in to the finish

Might thin out a few lads then for the bunch gallop.
    Sounds like a decent course.

Awful forecast for Shannon tomorrow, not looking forward to racing in heavy rain. At least it won't be cold I suppose.

Anyone have any joy in Wexford?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Derrydingle

dahat wrote:
    Anyone have any joy in Wexford?

Not for the poor guy who was watching it got a very bad cut over his eye from a full bottle that he got in the face from one of the A3 guys in the break

Not for the poor guy who was watching it got a very bad cut over his eye from a full bottle that he got in the face from one of the A3 guys in the break

Bet that hurt alot, throwing away bottles in A3, great stuff.
    Is this the done thing these days? A4 lads at it n all.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

What a clown!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Won a vets race like that once (only 20k out though), so feckin tired at the end couldn't even lift my arms off the bars!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Really happy all day until the last lap, my legs went funny on the final bump. Turns out my glucose monitor was broken so while I thought my bloods were dipping and I was ploughing in sugar, I was actually high and by the time I realised the issue, my blood was like treacle and I was throwing up after the hill climb.

**** you diabetes

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

CramCycle wrote: »
    Really happy all day until the last lap, my legs went funny on the final bump. Turns out my glucose monitor was broken so while I thought my bloods were dipping and I was ploughing in sugar, I was actually high and by the time I realised the issue, my blood was like treacle and I was throwing up after the hill climb.

**** you diabetes

Shít were you ok Cram?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Colm_D

That was me (that got the cut) :mad:

Culprit was informed after the race what had happened and apologised. Could have been worse, could have been a child he hit. Oh, and he wasn't in the break either, he was in the dropped group. Watching too much TV!!

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

Colm_D wrote: »

Culprit was informed after the race what had happened and apologised. Could have been worse, could have been a child he hit. Oh, and he wasn't in the break either, he was in the dropped group. Watching too much TV!!

Ya, some guys are gas what they do, was at a local sportive and saw a guy trying to descend like Froome did at the TDF.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Pawlie

ah it has improved your good looks colm ;), funny thing is he is your clubmate, you will have to coach him how to discard the bottle properly while out training with him :D

Biblical rain at times in Shannon today but really enjoyed the race. I had great legs all the way round but blew my load with 300m to go as I lost my chosen wheel and ended up out in the wind. The bunch then swallowed me up like savages!!!
    Lovely course and well marshalled, credit to all involved.

• Advertisement

Biblical rain at times in Shannon today but really enjoyed the race. I had great legs all the way round but blew my load with 300m to go as I lost my chosen wheel and ended up out in the wind. The bunch then swallowed me up like savages!!!

Yes it is quite safe as courses go. Between 2 minds to turn around when driving there and seeing the amount of water on the road. Thankfully though rain eased and it was only spitting for first 3 laps. Last 2 was quite heavy alright but by then you are well into the race

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

Good race in fairness. Would have been very fast in the dry.
    A lot of gaps opened in the last k, had to horse it up the right side to get around the folks going backwards, gave it some socks for the last 300 but out in the wind on my lonesome was dumb. Bad positioning on my part. 8.79w/kg in the last minute though.
    Hear if the 3 boys in the crash on the last lap walked away ok? The lad who slapped the car seemed to get the worse of it.

Good race in fairness. Would have been very fast in the dry.
    A lot of gaps opened in the last k, had to horse it up the right side to get around the folks going backwards, gave it some socks for the last 300 but out in the wind on my lonesome was dumb. Bad positioning on my part. 8.79w/kg in the last minute though.
    Hear if the 3 boys in the crash on the last lap walked away ok? The lad who slapped the car seemed to get the worse of it.

Didn't hear anything about those lads, can't believe he slapped a car but the bang was quite loud.
    On reflection I should have waited a little longer but I got exposed and ended up leading the Sprint in from 300 out. Patience is hard come by on race days.

One last shot next week for 2pts then it's social cycling for a few weeks then 3-4 weeks of nothing hopefully.

Yes it is quite safe as courses go. Between 2 minds to turn around when driving there and seeing the amount of water on the road. Thankfully though rain eased and it was only spitting for first 3 laps. Last 2 was quite heavy alright but by then you are well into the race

I'll be back there next year regardless of grade as you can't beat safe courses like that with a decent drag to the line.

Anyone come across pictures yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭fcon

Anyone come across pictures yet?

Joe Buckley photography on FB

Attached some power analysis from today's A3 race in Shannon.

The first image shows that my average power was 180W for the first 2/3 of the race. At my weight this works out at 2.34 W/KG and for this portion of the race I hid as much as possible and never went near the front. This figure would be as low as I've ever registered in an A3 race and only slightly higher than rolling through on a typical club spin.

The second image shows an average power of 260W for the final 1/3. Style of riding was completely different here where I made continual efforts to get away including about 4km where I was up the road alone (bunch was letting nothing go!).

I love these mid summer races, standard definitely goes down and they can actually be raced if desired. In early season races and end of season races such as the Charleville 2 day they are much more a war of attrition and a case of hanging in as best as possible.

nee wrote: »
    Shwere you ok Cram?
    Got it all back in order for day two. Gave a few runs off the front but not much interest in breaks as there was a very strong bunch of 10 or 15 who neutralised everything even though they could have easily broke on their own. A Lucan rider went up the road just before half way and the bunch slowed going round a bend so when the road straightened I jumped. Hard slog to catch and was chasing for a few km before I did. We held out for another 11km but two lads tried chasing after me apparently and the bunch went for them so they brought us back right before the few bad right hand turns. Bunch were well mannered and everyone slowed at the two mental right hand turns. Great day of riders working through the bunch. I made my last attempt after the ferrycarrig but I built up so much speed that I needed to take the turn wide. One Marshal was standing out around the corner so when I seen him and tried to correct, I bottled it and the wheels went from under me. Got up and finished it at least. No way a bunch should still be together on a course like that though.

If anything I felt like I would be pinged as the worst rider. Had a few moments of the group suddenly halting and twice I switched out, nearly took a Clonard rider out (sorry). People on brakes going uphill should be slapped with a wet fish.

I had to laugh (once I seen you were OK), I was the tiernans rider chatting to your clubmates after stage 1.

Had to laugh at the New bridge rider chucking his bottle in the last few km. Wanted to pass comment to him about being an A4 but never got the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Got it all back in order for day two. Gave a few runs off the front but not much interest in breaks as there was a very strong bunch of 10 or 15 who neutralised everything even though they could have easily broke on their own. A Lucan rider went up the road just before half way and the bunch slowed going round a bend so when the road straightened I jumped. Hard slog to catch and was chasing for a few km before I did. We held out for another 11km but two lads tried chasing after me apparently and the bunch went for them so they brought us back right before the few bad right hand turns. Bunch were well mannered and everyone slowed at the two mental right hand turns. Great day of riders working through the bunch. I made my last attempt after the ferrycarrig but I built up so much speed that I needed to take the turn wide. One Marshal was standing out around the corner so when I seen him and tried to correct, I bottled it and the wheels went from under me. Got up and finished it at least. No way a bunch should still be together on a course like that though.

If anything I felt like I would be pinged as the worst rider. Had a few moments of the group suddenly halting and twice I switched out, nearly took a Clonard rider out (sorry). People on brakes going uphill should be slapped with a wet fish.

I had to laugh (once I seen you were OK), I was the tiernans rider chatting to your clubmates after stage 1.

Had to laugh at the New bridge rider chucking his bottle in the last few km. Wanted to pass comment to him about being an A4 but never got the chance.

Hows the road rash this morn , i was the lucan rider you tried to break away with , its a pity you came off where you did as you were keeping good position in the bunch throughout that stage . Apparently in each catagory a rider came down exactly where you did .
    It was a hard weekend , i ended up 7th on that stage so delighted to finally get some points , if i finished in the bunch on stage 1 and didnt make a balls of it i wouldve finished 7th overall instead of 24th .

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

People on brakes going uphill should be slapped with a wet fish.

This, and people suddenly coasting on climbs, is a serious pet peeve of mine.

• Advertisement

sullzz wrote: »
    Hows the road rash this morn , i was the lucan rider you tried to break away with , its a pity you came off where you did as you were keeping good position in the bunch throughout that stage . Apparently in each catagory a rider came down exactly where you did .
    It was a hard weekend , i ended up 7th on that stage so delighted to finally get some points , if i finished in the bunch on stage 1 and didnt make a balls of it i wouldve finished 7th overall instead of 24th .
    You were very strong, if either a few lads had went with you or the two lads hadn't inspired the rest to start moving, then I think you would have stayed away but you were basically TTing on the worst roads around for a long stretch. I am just happy I got across the line in the grand scheme of things, muscles are tight and sore this morning. Ended up busing it into work today as it just wasn't worth making any effort.
    Miklos wrote: »
    This, and people suddenly coasting on climbs, is a serious pet peeve of mine.
    Same here, I am pretty sure someone shouted at me for this, even though I was just avoiding the wheel of the lad who slammed on, on the N25, for no reason. It was good to see lads working through the bunch like proper racers though rather than the typical A4, swing wide and hammer up the outside (which used to be my modus operandi).

Advertisement