Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTP and cycle racing.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Anyone know the route for this year's race

No a clue but a 47km A4 does not appeal at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Stevieg2009

dahat wrote: »

Exactly my taughs why bother it's a joke really it seems there is an A4 race put on just to balance the books on the day

So this Lucan GP....i just can't leave things alone ;)

Pan flat circuit used a lot by the vets for there own races good little circuit narrow enough on the back stretch sharp right hand to a kicker up to the finish

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Gekko1

W
    Anyone know the route for this year's race

where does it say 47km? 72km on the website!!

Gekko1 wrote: »
    W

I seen 47km when I checked it up a week ago maybe they have changed it?that just made it interesting

• Advertisement

Just checked there Facebook page seems it is 72km

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

I seen 47km when I checked it up a week ago maybe they have changed it?that just made it interesting

Very interesting indeed :)

Just checked there Facebook page seems it is 72km

A week too early for me, sore hammys since Sunday so I'll wait till Lucan GP and if weather is fine ill travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭DKmac

Gekko1 wrote: »
    W

Route is 3 laps, extended from original planned 2 laps.
    Change from the previous out and back to the M1 via Ardee. Now its a lapped circuit starting and finishing in the same location but the start is heading north and turning left through haggardstown onto the Dundalk-Ardee Road, where it then follows the second half of last years course to the finish. Its a tad bumpier than last years race with a nice sharp climb onto the Ardee Road. There's a map on the facebook page in the comments section below the Traders Cup notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭DKmac

Pan flat circuit used a lot by the vets for there own races good little circuit narrow enough on the back stretch sharp right hand to a kicker up to the finish

Lucan GP finishes on the link road between the first two roundabouts. It doesn't finish in Dunsany. It's a much safer finish.

• Advertisement

DKmac wrote: »
    Lucan GP finishes on the link road between the first two roundabouts. It doesn't finish in Dunsany. It's a much safer finish.

My apologies your spot on I forgot that

Spoke to the lad that won the A4 race Traders Cup last week at SERC GP and he has been training behind a car doing speed work mostly!!! Ex-Junior racer as well, nice lad.
    Hopefully he will be upgraded now before Lucan GP!!!!

Spoke to the lad that won the A4 race Traders Cup last week at SERC GP and he has been training behind a car doing speed work mostly!!! Ex-Junior racer as well, nice lad.
    Hopefully he will be upgraded now before Lucan GP!!!!

You plan on doing Lucan Gp ?

sullzz wrote: »
    You plan on doing Lucan Gp ?

Weather permitting at this point, I'm not traveling for 2.5hrs in **** weather. Once it's reasonable I'm going.

Weather permitting at this point, I'm not traveling for 2.5hrs in **** weather. Once it's reasonable I'm going.

Its honestly a race made for you . Ill be marshalling for it , gutted .

sullzz wrote: »
    Its honestly a race made for you . Ill be marshalling for it , gutted .

Can't use your wheel then,feck. I'll.give it a lash and see how it goes, try exercise a little more restraint than last 2 races.
    Would there be showers available?

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Derrydingle

dahat wrote:
    Spoke to the lad that won the A4 race Traders Cup last week at SERC GP and he has been training behind a car doing speed work mostly!!! Ex-Junior racer as well, nice lad. Hopefully he will be upgraded now before Lucan GP!!!!

What was today's race like?

Not a clue, looking at Sean Rowe's pictures it was a bunch gallop.

Was talking to one lad , he said it was safe , the bunch really behaved , fast finish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Speaking to club mates, Charleville went to bits in the A4 race today, second time up the hill broke it good

• Advertisement

Speaking to club mates, Charleville went to bits in the A4 race today, second time up the hill broke it good

Thats exactly whats needed

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

Every race should be like that, or a hill finish. not down to big bunch sprints which is normally the case

It was orchestrated, didn't just happen. FB report on our club page:

"Fantasic weekend of racing for the club in Charleville this year. In today's finale in the A4 race, not much was happening and a shake up was badly needed. Steve Lyons road off the front last time up the climb. A few followed and further up it Albert Murphy and Karl Fogarty from CRNS bridged across (the guys had talked this through beforehand). A group of 11 consolidated on the descent and this group worked well to the finish pulling out a gap of about 1:45 on the bunch. In the ensuing sprint, Albert placed 4th and Steve 6th on the stage. More importantly the time gained on the bunch allowed Steve to finish 5th in the overall standings. Albert placed 2nd overall and only missed out on the win by 8 seconds. It is not often breaks work in A4 racing and kudos to the lads for making a plan beforehand and being able to see it through. Both guys will now be racing A3 next season."

Wasnt sure if this required a new thread so I'm posting in here.

I've been advised to "train for A3" this winter as I hope to get upgraded early next season but what exactly do I need to do different for A3?
    More endurance spins?
    More high intensity intervals?

Any advice welcome. I'll start my winter training by following traineroad Sweet Spot at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

I've been advised to "train for A3" this winter as I hope to get upgraded early next season but what exactly do I need to do different for A3?
    More endurance spins?

Any advice welcome. I'll start my winter training by following traineroad Sweet Spot at some stage.

i do less now in A3 that i did in A4 (baby! :) ) and i survive but wont be winning or getting points anytime soon. i try and get in 6-8 hours a week whereas when i had time i used to do 10-14hours (which got me out of a4 early season and got me a fairly high placing in an A2-A3 2 day). i didnt have a coach at the time.
    winter time i usually do a lot of high cadence and low cadence (85% of FTP) work with endurance spins (75% of FTP power so if my FTP is 290w then do endurance at 205w to 220w) at the weekend doing intervals as well. then come spring its v02, anaerobic and sprints and TT efforts.
    some do gym work, i do, but dont like it.:rolleyes:

what time have you available?

More endurance spins?

in terms of the differences between a3 and a4 it would be a lot more attacking from the gun. for the first 20mins expect to be on the limit... position is key and you may get away in a break. majority of A3 /junior races are won by breakaways. so work on your 3 min effort (120% of FTP) and the likes of 30 on/off for 10/12mins @ 150% of FTP to get used of the intensity. practice sprints as well; sprint every minute for 5mins, 5mins off, do it for 5 sets.

thekooman wrote: »
    i do less now in A3 that i did in A4 (baby! :) ) and i survive but wont be winning or getting points anytime soon. i try and get in 6-8 hours a week whereas when i had time i used to do 10-14hours (which got me out of a4 early season and got me a fairly high placing in an A2-A3 2 day). i didnt have a coach at the time.
    winter time i usually do a lot of high cadence and low cadence (85% of FTP) work with endurance spins (75% of FTP power so if my FTP is 290w then do endurance at 205w to 220w) at the weekend doing intervals as well. then come spring its v02, anaerobic and sprints and TT efforts.
    some do gym work, i do, but dont like it.:rolleyes:

what time have you available?

Time i can mange 6-10 hrs per week but likely do most of it indoors especially winter time with the Sunday club spin being the exception.

Time i can mange 6-10 hrs per week but likely do most of it indoors especially winter time with the Sunday club spin being the exception.

3 to 4 hour endurance spins will help. the recent A3 national champs was 104km (2h45mins) with a 12-15min climb at the end. i didnt have the legs and cramped as soon as i stood up on the climb.

I cope fine on 6hrs a week.

A 3+ hour Sunday club spin will cover you timewise for races, just try and ride 2hr+ of it mid Z2.

I'd advise for motivational and longevity reasons to keep turbo sessions to an hour and up to xmas focus on SS when on the turbo. After xmas more higher intensity shorter intervals could be introduced

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Any reason you're not just going into a base phase? I've taken a few weeks off and am kinda mentally refreshed and ready to go again - I was thinking of just going base-build (both low volume) and then into mid volume base-build-speciality...

They did cover it on their most recent standard podcast, but didn't think they really answered. I still plan to cycle without socks next year, so was going to mix it up with sweetspot base, general build before going into the triathlon plans....

Advertisement