Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTP and cycle racing.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

For a 20 min FTP test are you better of doing it on a hill climb or flat road ?

Was discussed earlier.
    Lumen wrote: »
    This is only true if your body position (specifically hip angle) is the same.

Biomechanics and Energetics of Uphill Cycling: A review
    https://www.researchgate.net/publication/235634878_Biomechanics_and_Energetics_of_Uphill_Cycling_A_review

I’d always try do mine on a flat section of road because that’s what I’d be training and racing on

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Foxmoves

I did a 20 min test both on a hill and on the flat, exactly one week apart.

Difference was less than 2% on the hill to the flat.
    Hill slightly higher. Both same suffering.

Reason why I did two was I thought the hill was going to be a lot higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

For a 20 min FTP test are you better of doing it on a hill climb or flat road ?

Do it on whatever environment you will do most of your training on. And if that is turbo, do the test on the turbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

sullzz wrote: »
    where as on a hill you have to constantly put out full power to keep moving .

That's not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Delboy007

Hi

I have been using TrainerRoad now for the last 6 week doing the Base Phase, took a bit of playing around with my FTP but going great now. I have a smart turbo.

My question is does it matter on the speed you be doing on the workouts, my Avg speed is around 20Km/h to 24Km/h depending on which workout I am doing. I keep my Cadence between 85 RPM and 110 RPM depending on the workout intervals and I keep to the Power the workout is asking me to do.

Like out on the road my Avg speed would never be that low.

Does it matter what gear you are in when doing the workout I keep it in the big ring up front and the 3rd from the top in the back (I do my workouts in ERG Mode)

Sorry last question, by keeping your bike clamped to the Turbo all the time would it damage your bike? (I have the wahoo kickr snap turbo)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

Delboy007 wrote: »
    Hi

I have been using TrainerRoad now for the last 6 week doing the Base Phase, took a bit of playing around with my FTP but going great now. I have a smart turbo.

My question is does it matter on the speed you be doing on the workouts, my Avg speed is around 20Km/h to 24Km/h depending on which workout I am doing. I keep my Cadence between 85 RPM and 110 RPM depending on the workout intervals and I keep to the Power the workout is asking me to do.

Does it matter what gear you are in when doing the workout I keep it in the big ring up front and the 3rd from the top in the back (I do my workouts in ERG Mode)

Sorry last question, by keeping your bike clamped to the Turbo all the time would it damage your bike? (I have the wahoo kickr snap turbo)

Don't worry about speed, just stick to the power target.

Gearing doesn't matter either except to allow you select whatever cadence you want to stay at for a given power target.

I leave a bike in the turbo when not in use as its handy to use as a rack. I loosen the lock on the rear wheel though not sure if thats really necessary

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

Hi

Workouts are interval based so you'll have rest periods which you may not have out on the road. Other workouts may be quicker. I hit 83kph the other night, I'd never hit that on the road. I'm not going to fall off my bike in my house

When using ERG mode stick it in whatever gear gives your chain the best straight line and then don't touch it

Mine will be in for most of the winter so I hope not

Hope it's going well for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    That's not true.

Sure it is , you should try it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Hi

Forget about speed, just work to power and cadence targets if you can hit them. Spinning at 120rpm is quite a challenge

Nearly done low volume 1 myself and as I have added a Sunday spin to that I hope that 3 x turbo (4.5hrs) with a Club spin (3-4hrs) will see me hold my own in A3 next year.

Things should get interesting on the next block with an increase in ftp likely to make it harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭crazy_kenny

Did a 8 minute ftp test on TrainerRoad on Saturday. New ftp = 232 watts or 3.68 w/kg. Improved 7 watts on previous effort 10 weeks previously. Not too bad considering I only train on average 5 hours a week.

Read an interesting article on aqua blue sport about the benefits of sweetspot training for time crunched cyclists. Here is the link:

https://www.aquabluesport.com/blog/sweet-spot-training.html

• Advertisement

Did a 8 minute ftp test on TrainerRoad on Saturday. New ftp = 232 watts or 3.68 w/kg. Improved 7 watts on previous effort 10 weeks previously. Not too bad considering I only train on average 5 hours a week.

Read an interesting article on aqua blue sport about the benefits of sweetspot training for time crunched cyclists. Here is the link:

Have you attempted the 20min test? It's hell on earth.

That article is a good read and gives good encouragement for time crunched lads like us really.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭crazy_kenny

dahat wrote: »

That article is a good read and gives good encouragement for time crunched lads like us really.

Tried the 20 minute test before but went out too hard at the beginning. I find the 8 minute test easier to pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Raymzor

I find the 5 min test the worst!

Raymzor wrote: »
    I find the 5 min test the worst!

5mins is very tricky and I often make a mess of it also. I have a retest up in 7 days and expecting a 10-15 watt jump.

5mins is very tricky and I often make a mess of it also. I have a retest up in 7 days and expecting a 10-15 watt jump.

How often do you re-test?

I did my first test about 2.5 weeks ago. I've done 10 sessions since then and am wondering should I re-test? I'm doing an 8 week program.

Obviously some sessions are easier than others and you're not meant to feel absolutely knackered but I've a feeling my new FTP would be +10-15

I did the 20 min test

Whyner wrote: »
    How often do you re-test?

I did my first test about 2.5 weeks ago. I've done 10 sessions since then and am wondering should I re-test? I'm doing an 8 week program.

Obviously some sessions are easier than others and you're not meant to feel absolutely knackered but I've a feeling my new FTP would be +10-15

I did the 20 min test

I'm following Sweet Spot base low volume so it's a re test after each 6 week block, which always comes after a recovery week at the end of each block.
    Base workouts shouldn't really wipe you out, hard work yes but it should be very manageable.

Week 4 is a rest week for me so I'll do it after that

Week 4 is a rest week for me so I'll do it after that

What plan are you following?

What plan are you following?

I'm new to training but thought I couldn't go wrong with this

https://whatsonzwift.com/workouts/gc-coaching-virtual-group-training-phase-1

Just finished week 2. 5 sessions per week so some weeks are 8 days long...

Trying to get into a club in South Dublin is tricky. I've applied to Orwell and St Tiernans and both have waiting lists. Orwell got back to me this morning and I've been accepted into their mandatory training starting in March and last 7 weeks :eek::eek: So May until a group spin. Hopefully I get better luck with Tiernans

I might need to start some Boards group spins in the new year...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

I'm new to training but thought I couldn't go wrong with this

https://whatsonzwift.com/workouts/gc-coaching-virtual-group-training-phase-1

Just finished week 2. 5 sessions per week so some weeks are 8 days long...

Trying to get into a club in South Dublin is tricky. I've applied to Orwell and St Tiernans and both have waiting lists. Orwell got back to me this morning and I've been accepted into their mandatory training starting in March and last 7 weeks :eek::eek: So May until a group spin. Hopefully I get better luck with Tiernans

I might need to start some Boards group spins in the new year...:)

The Mo Johnston Award for 2017 goes to Whyner

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    The Mo Johnston Award for 2017 goes to Whyner

If he is good enough, I can overlook him applying to Orwell ;)

Those 2 clubs don't share the same venue for the Xmas party?

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Irish Raven

Whyner wrote:
    Trying to get into a club in South Dublin is tricky. I've applied to Orwell and St Tiernans and both have waiting lists. Orwell got back to me this morning and I've been accepted into their mandatory training starting in March and last 7 weeks So May until a group spin. Hopefully I get better luck with Tiernans

am i reading this correctly....a waiting list?? and then you get accepted into some training blook?? jeez South Dublin is really the creme de le creme!!

am i reading this correctly....a waiting list?? and then you get accepted into some training blook?? jeez South Dublin is really the creme de le creme!!

Spot on. And I didn't even get into the first training block (Jan - Feb)

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

Spot on. And I didn't even get into the first training block (Jan - Feb)

Heard Tiernans were closed to new members for the time being. If it's racing you're after maybe check out South DublinCC on Facebook. Plenty of them have ridden the rás multiple times.

Think they actually had a fully supported training spin there the other week. Team car and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Orwell has lost one club member and one former member to road traffic incidents in the last year. Whilst we pride ourselves on being elitist bastards who wouldn't return a wave from the president, this isn't about snobbery!

Lumen wrote: »
    Orwell has lost one club member and one former member to road traffic incidents in the last year. Whilst we pride ourselves on being elitist bastards who wouldn't return a wave from the president, this isn't about snobbery!

Yeah apologies, I should have mentioned that. The 7 week course is run by a level 3 Cycling Ireland Coach and provides you with the skills to ride safely on the road. That didn't bother me, it was missing out on the first group

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Irish Raven

Lumen wrote:

im aware of that them tragedies...and im also friends with orwell members...

my own clubs does a "come for a couple of spins and see how you go", if a good fit for both parties...plus be known to a current member...just waiting lists and mandatory camps i dont get...suppose its not very welcoming imo...

as for waving to the president....i prob wouldnt either :-) !!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

To be fair to Orwell, they have a humoungous club and it is probably very difficult to manage for volunteers, the coming for a couple of spins may prove to be difficult.

Smaller clubs like SDCC, Blanch and Tiernans (who are growing out of the small club size), are probably better able to handle the turn up and see how you are scenario. This system fails though when you get someone who comes along and they are not up to a certain standard, then it leads to awkward conversations. I like orwells set up, alas it is also probably to expensive to set up for a smaller club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 GabbaTheHutt

The Orwell training course is for those new to cycling and/or group riding. It makes sense to train people up before dropping them into a group of other cyclists and expecting them to know what to do!

People with previous experience in groups or racing are encouraged to detail this when they apply and then may not have to do the training course.

In a club of around 700 there are a lot of people to think about and every level of cyclist and interests. It’s got to be fun but also safe fun:)

Advertisement